[pharo-project/pharo-core]

Eliot Miranda-3
  Branch: refs/tags/30843
  Home:   https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-core

Re: [pharo-project/pharo-core]

Eliot Miranda-2
Without any information on what has been changed these GitHub messages are almost pure noise.  It's more than tedious to expect someone to follow the link to get more info.  Can the system not include at least the commit comment?

Eliot (phone)

On Apr 29, 2014, at 4:12 AM, GitHub <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Branch: refs/tags/30843
>  Home:   https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-core

Re: [pharo-project/pharo-core]

Marcus Denker-4

On 29 Apr 2014, at 15:29, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Without any information on what has been changed these GitHub messages are almost pure noise.  It's more than tedious to expect someone to follow the link to get more info.  Can the system not include at least the commit comment?

There are two mails:

1) useless
2) it has *everything*
-> changed methods and classes
-> commit comments
-> Link to get the diffs very nicely formatted.

Sadly we did not find a way to turn of this one useless mail. There is sadly no option.

> Eliot (phone)
>
> On Apr 29, 2014, at 4:12 AM, GitHub <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Branch: refs/tags/30843
>> Home:   https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-core

Re: [pharo-project/pharo-core]

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Marcus,

On Apr 29, 2014, at 6:31 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2014, at 15:29, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Without any information on what has been changed these GitHub messages are almost pure noise.  It's more than tedious to expect someone to follow the link to get more info.  Can the system not include at least the commit comment?
>
> There are two mails:
>
> 1) useless
> 2) it has *everything*
> -> changed methods and classes
> -> commit comments
> -> Link to get the diffs very nicely formatted.
>
> Sadly we did not find a way to turn of this one useless mail. There is sadly no option.

So who develops github?  Are they willing to provide a third option?
Another potential solution would be to direct the full commit to a server that filters/edits down the full messages and resends.

Personally I'd like to keep up with the GitHub commits through email but right now I just delete them.  I could filter them out but that's no better.  :-(

On 29 Apr 2014, at 16:13, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>

> On Apr 29, 2014, at 6:31 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 29 Apr 2014, at 15:29, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Without any information on what has been changed these GitHub messages are almost pure noise.  It's more than tedious to expect someone to follow the link to get more info.  Can the system not include at least the commit comment?
>>
>> There are two mails:
>>
>> 1) useless
>> 2) it has *everything*
>> -> changed methods and classes
>> -> commit comments
>> -> Link to get the diffs very nicely formatted.
>>
>> Sadly we did not find a way to turn of this one useless mail. There is sadly no option.
>
> So who develops github?
Github inc.
they have now >10 million repositories. got 100mill funding in 2012…

> Are they willing to provide a third option?
Unlikely, considering the scale of the operation.

> Another potential solution would be to direct the full commit to a server that filters/edits down the full messages and resends.

Yes, I was thinking about that… but who has the time?

On Apr 30, 2014, at 6:42 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2014, at 16:13, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Marcus,

>>> There are two mails:
>>>
>>> 1) useless
>>> 2) it has *everything*
>>> -> changed methods and classes
>>> -> commit comments
>>> -> Link to get the diffs very nicely formatted.
>>>
>>> Sadly we did not find a way to turn of this one useless mail. There is sadly no option.
>>
>> So who develops github?
> Github inc.
> they have now >10 million repositories. got 100mill funding in 2012…
>
>> Are they willing to provide a third option?
> Unlikely, considering the scale of the operation.

Surely that's completely backwards.  If they have 100mil (lira?) per year to spend they have the resources to improve their product.  Do they have a feedback channel through which you could ask?  Why don't you ask them?

>> Another potential solution would be to direct the full commit to a server that filters/edits down the full messages and resends.
> Yes, I was thinking about that… but who has the time?

Right. We should just wallow in depression.  Killing myself takes too much effort.

>> Personally I'd like to keep up with the GitHub commits through email but right now I just delete them.  I could filter them out but that's no better.  :-(

Re: [pharo-project/pharo-core]

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Eliot Miranda-2 wrote
Do they have a feedback channel through which you could ask?  Why don't you ask them?
Their feedback channel is unbelievable given how most companies handle customer service - you contact them via github.com, and a real, knowledgable person gets back to you... I've reached out and await their reply.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [pharo-project/pharo-core]

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
I've reached out and await their reply.
From github support:
The pharo-project/pharo-core repository is using the Email Service Hook to provide notifications on push. The Email Service Hook doesn't currently allow you to configure which pushes should trigger notifications.Note that these are not regular GitHub Notifications [1], and that many open source projects do not use the Email Service Hook for notifications on push, because of the volume of email generated.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [pharo-project/pharo-core]

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Sean,

    *thank you*.  Just to be sure, the requirement is for the email service to be tailorable so that one can ask e.g. for the commit id /and/ the commit comment, or the commit id, commit comment and affected files.  Is that what you asked for?

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> I've reached out and await their reply.

From github support:
The pharo-project/pharo-core repository is using the Email Service Hook to
provide notifications on push. The Email Service Hook doesn't currently
allow you to configure which pushes should trigger notifications.Note that
these are not regular GitHub Notifications [1], and that many open source
projects do not use the Email Service Hook for notifications on push,
because of the volume of email generated.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

best,