( picoVerse-:( HowTo make a Window with subPanes open up ) )

( picoVerse-:( HowTo make a Window with subPanes open up ) )

Kjell Godo
I am making an online game platform in Croquet and I would like
to make some Windows like the SystemBrowser open up.  I would
like to include text panes and list panes and buttons.  With all the
scroll bars and such attatched.  And I would like it to be resizeable.

I would like an input field like a prompt where when you click
Enter then something happens in the game.  It's a text based
game.  So far.

So are there any examples of this sort of thing and how to make it?

If there are no examples I would like to make one.  It would be a
bare bones thing that would just open up a Window with sub panes
and allow some simple interactions and resizing.

I would think that there should be a set of examples like this that
would help people make Windows in Croquet.  Dolphin Smalltalk
has a set of simple Examples like this that are highly useful.

Is Croquet going to run on the iPhone?

Re: ( picoVerse-:( HowTo make a Window with subPanes open up ) )

Steve Wart
If you want interactive GUI elements in a croquet app, I suggest looking at Tweak.

Tweak is designed for the kind of client-server interaction you need if you want to have "off-island" logic interacting with forms in your worlds. For examples I think you can look at the class CroquetParticipantWithMenu.

John McIntosh has Squeak running on the iPhone. The web page is here. The platform doesn't support the level of OpenGL used by Croquet (it supports OpenGL ES 1.1, which is a subset of OpenGL 1.5), but that doesn't mean it isn't possible to make it work. What application do you have in mind?

The iPhone SDK agreement from Apple has restrictive language around the use of "interpreted" languages, including JIT-style interpreters. If you want to build an iPhone app using Croquet or Squeak, you can try it, but you run the risk of your application being rejected from the AppStore on these grounds.

More practically, I'm not sure the memory footprint of Croquet can be accommodated on the iPhone. You're looking at a maxiumum of 64Mb of RAM (there's 128Mb in total but 1/2 of that is reserved for the OS and services like the music player), and 24Mb of video memory (which is taken out of that 128Mb total). In the future, an optimized environment and a more capable platform might make it possible.

I just started a fresh Croquet image at 45Mb and it worked its way up to over 360Mb within about 5 minutes just by starting up an empty demo world (still climbing). I think this might be a bug (MacOS X 10.5 on i386). If I get a float exception I'll follow up on a different thread :)

Steve

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Kjell Godo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

johnmci

On Nov 8, 2008, at 5:55 PM, Steve Wart wrote:

> The iPhone SDK agreement from Apple has restrictive language around
> the use of "interpreted" languages, including JIT-style
> interpreters. If you want to build an iPhone app using Croquet or
> Squeak, you can try it, but you run the risk of your application
> being rejected from the AppStore on these grounds.

The clause about interpreted languages was removed from later
contracts, the current restriction says  you can't download and
install interpreted code unless it is interpreted by apple's built in
interpreter(s).
Many of the large gaming houses that resurrected 90's era games I
believe are using 6502 virtual machines btw.

As you point out the *real* issue is memory, 64 mb or so... Not much
when Croquet thinks it should work with 512MB.

--
=
=

Re: ( picoVerse-:( HowTo make a Window with subPanes open up ) )

David P. Reed
Why not run Croquet on a server machine, and remote the screen to the
iPhone over WiFi or 3G?