pier and seaside 3.0

12

pier and seaside 3.0

Nick
Happy New Year to the list.
I've been developing a site using vanilla seaside 3.0a5, and have belated released that there's much functionality in base Pier and the add-ons which would save me significant time. From what I can gather from a brief search of the list there is an early port to 3.0, though I've struggled to load it into my image. Is there a load script I can use for 3.0? Is it really sensible to try an early 3.0 port when I'm still struggling to get to grips with the basic concepts - would I be better off using 2.8 and revert my jQuery code to prototype/scriptaculous?
Thanks Nick

Re: pier and seaside 3.0

Jan van de Sandt
Hello Nick,

I use the following "Gofer code" to load Magritte and Pier into a Seaside 3 image. Magritte is a prerequisite for Pier:

"Load Magritte for Seaside 3"
Gofer new
renggli: 'magritte2';
package: 'Magritte-Model';
package: 'Magritte-Pharo-Model';
package: 'Magritte-Tests-Model';
package: 'Magritte-Tests-Pharo-Model';
package: 'Magritte-Seaside';
package: 'Magritte-Pharo-Seaside';
package: 'Magritte-Morph';
load.

"Load Pier for Seaside 3"
Gofer new
renggli: 'pier2';
package: 'Pier-Core';
package: 'Pier-Pharo-Core';
package: 'Pier-Model';
package: 'Pier-Pharo-Model';
package: 'Pier-Tests';
package: 'Pier-Tests-Model';
package: 'Pier-Seaside';
package: 'Pier-Pharo-Seaside';
package: 'Pier-Security';
package: 'Pier-Pharo-Persistency';
package: 'Pier-Tests-Security';
load.

Jan

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Nick Ager <[hidden email]> wrote:
Happy New Year to the list.
I've been developing a site using vanilla seaside 3.0a5, and have belated released that there's much functionality in base Pier and the add-ons which would save me significant time. From what I can gather from a brief search of the list there is an early port to 3.0, though I've struggled to load it into my image. Is there a load script I can use for 3.0? Is it really sensible to try an early 3.0 port when I'm still struggling to get to grips with the basic concepts - would I be better off using 2.8 and revert my jQuery code to prototype/scriptaculous?
Thanks Nick

Re: pier and seaside 3.0

Nick
Hi Jan,

Thanks that was exactly what I was after.

Pier and Magritte loaded with a few errors (see later), then I registered Pier with:
    PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'pier' kernel: PRKernel new

When I then go to browse localhost:8080/pier I receive the error:
   MNU: receiver of viewCommandClass is nil

Digging into the call-stack originating at PRPierFrame>>initialRequest the structure passed to PRContext>>kernel:structure: is nil which originates from a call to PRKernel>>root returning nil. Any thoughts anyone?

BTW the load errors:
"FileList2 is Undeclared", in MAFileMorph - doesn't seem too concerning as I'm only interested in the seaside bindings.
I ignored the error: "Pier-Core depends on PRPackage class>>pierTestsModel"
PRCommandTest>>testDate(WAPlatform is undefined)
PRCommandTest>>testTimestamp (WAPlatform is Undeclared)
PRPersistencyTest>>testMutexForked(WAPlatform is undefined)
PRSegmentPersistency>>cleanupSeaside (WAEntryPoint is Undeclared)

Should I be concerned by any of these load errors?

Nick

2010/1/4 Jan van de Sandt <[hidden email]>
[...]

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Nick Ager <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jan,

Thanks that was exactly what I was after.

Pier and Magritte loaded with a few errors (see later), then I registered Pier with:
    PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'pier' kernel: PRKernel new

When I then go to browse localhost:8080/pier I receive the error:
   MNU: receiver of viewCommandClass is nil

Digging into the call-stack originating at PRPierFrame>>initialRequest the structure passed to PRContext>>kernel:structure: is nil which originates from a call to PRKernel>>root returning nil. Any thoughts anyone?

BTW the load errors:
"FileList2 is Undeclared", in MAFileMorph - doesn't seem too concerning as I'm only interested in the seaside bindings.

FileList2 does not exist any more in Pharo, you must use FileList.
See http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=269

[...]

To answer myself the magic incantation I've arrived at for registration is:

PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'pier' kernel: (PRKernel new root: (PRPage new title: 'test'; contents: 'Pier on Seaside 3.0'))

Still trying to understand how to register PRPierFrame class>>exampleBasic and exampleDocumentation. I'll see if I get anywhere this afternoon...

Nick

2010/1/5 Nick Ager <[hidden email]>
[...]

Hi Mariano,

I'm afraid my knowledge of Monticello is limited. Is it odd that FileList2 change was closed in November 2008, but the repository I loaded MAFileMorph from http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte2, only dates from September 2009? I'm happy to update the Magritte-Morph package in the repository to refer to FileList instead, though I feel I'm stumbling in the dark.

Nick

2010/1/5 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>

[...]

Lukas Renggli
> BTW the load errors:
> "FileList2 is Undeclared", in MAFileMorph - doesn't seem too concerning as
> I'm only interested in the seaside bindings.

Yep, the Magritte-Morph is not really required.

> I ignored the error: "Pier-Core depends on PRPackage class>>pierTestsModel"
> PRCommandTest>>testDate(WAPlatform is undefined)
> PRCommandTest>>testTimestamp (WAPlatform is Undeclared)
> PRPersistencyTest>>testMutexForked(WAPlatform is undefined)
> PRSegmentPersistency>>cleanupSeaside (WAEntryPoint is Undeclared)
> Should I be concerned by any of these load errors?

That looks like there is version mismatch between Magritte/Pier and Seaside.

The port of of Magritte/Pier was done for VA Smalltalk by Julian, and
it looks like the code hasn't been adapted to very latest version of
Seaside. Also the code is quite behind the Magritte/Pier code for
Seaside 2.8. Shame on me that I still didn't had time to look into
this.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier and seaside 3.0

Nick
Hi Lukas,

I'm happy to help if you can point me in the right direction.

On a different issue - I'm trying to understand PRPierFrame class>>exampleBasic and PRPierFrame class>>exampleDocumentation. Browsing at: localhost:8080/examples/examplebrowser results in WAAtrributeNotFound but only *with Pier installed*. The problem is in PRPierFrame>>initialRequest which calls:
   self application preferenceAt: #kernel
there's no kernel defined, although it is defined within a PRContext in exampleBasic. I'm afraid I don't understand enough about how PRKernel and PRContext are related to WAUserConfiguration to debug further. However this doesn't just appear to be a 3.0 issue - my 2.8 image with Pier installed also generates an error when I browse to localhost:8080/seaside/examples/examplebrowser

Any thoughts?

Nick

2010/1/5 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
> BTW the load errors:
> "FileList2 is Undeclared", in MAFileMorph - doesn't seem too concerning as
> I'm only interested in the seaside bindings.

Yep, the Magritte-Morph is not really required.

> I ignored the error: "Pier-Core depends on PRPackage class>>pierTestsModel"
> PRCommandTest>>testDate(WAPlatform is undefined)
> PRCommandTest>>testTimestamp (WAPlatform is Undeclared)
> PRPersistencyTest>>testMutexForked(WAPlatform is undefined)
> PRSegmentPersistency>>cleanupSeaside (WAEntryPoint is Undeclared)
> Should I be concerned by any of these load errors?

That looks like there is version mismatch between Magritte/Pier and Seaside.

The port of of Magritte/Pier was done for VA Smalltalk by Julian, and
it looks like the code hasn't been adapted to very latest version of
Seaside. Also the code is quite behind the Magritte/Pier code for
Seaside 2.8. Shame on me that I still didn't had time to look into
this.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier and seaside 3.0

Lukas Renggli
2010/1/5 Nick Ager <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Lukas,
> I'm happy to help if you can point me in the right direction.
> On a different issue - I'm trying to understand PRPierFrame
> class>>exampleBasic and PRPierFrame class>>exampleDocumentation. Browsing
> at: localhost:8080/examples/examplebrowser results in WAAtrributeNotFound
> but only *with Pier installed*. The problem is in
> PRPierFrame>>initialRequest which calls:
>    self application preferenceAt: #kernel
> there's no kernel defined, although it is defined within a PRContext in
> exampleBasic. I'm afraid I don't understand enough about how PRKernel and
> PRContext are related to WAUserConfiguration to debug further. However this
> doesn't just appear to be a 3.0 issue - my 2.8 image with Pier installed
> also generates an error when I browse to
> localhost:8080/seaside/examples/examplebrowser
> Any thoughts?

I fixed the example browser thing in:

Name: Pier-Seaside-lr.447
Author: lr
Time: 5 January 2010, 6:06:35 pm
UUID: 97530b50-c2c1-4f49-8a1d-580fae81eae6
Ancestors: Pier-Seaside-lr.445

- fixed the examples

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier and seaside 3.0

Julian Fitzell-2
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> BTW the load errors:
>> "FileList2 is Undeclared", in MAFileMorph - doesn't seem too concerning as
>> I'm only interested in the seaside bindings.
>
> Yep, the Magritte-Morph is not really required.
>
>> I ignored the error: "Pier-Core depends on PRPackage class>>pierTestsModel"
>> PRCommandTest>>testDate(WAPlatform is undefined)
>> PRCommandTest>>testTimestamp (WAPlatform is Undeclared)
>> PRPersistencyTest>>testMutexForked(WAPlatform is undefined)
>> PRSegmentPersistency>>cleanupSeaside (WAEntryPoint is Undeclared)
>> Should I be concerned by any of these load errors?
>
> That looks like there is version mismatch between Magritte/Pier and Seaside.
>
> The port of of Magritte/Pier was done for VA Smalltalk by Julian, and
> it looks like the code hasn't been adapted to very latest version of
> Seaside. Also the code is quite behind the Magritte/Pier code for
> Seaside 2.8. Shame on me that I still didn't had time to look into
> this.

Mmm... yes, I'm  having trouble recalling now. Did I do the initial
port against Seaside 3.0a4? It's been a couple of months since I
branched, so the Magritte/Pier code would definitely be a bit behind
the 2.8 codebase and I wouldn't be surprised to know it needs minor
updates for the latest Seaside one way or another.

I'm also, unfortunately, not actually *using* the port. As Lukas said,
I did the port as part of work to then port it to VA smalltalk.
Nationaal Spaarfonds would be using it with the version of Seaside
distributed by Instantiations (though that should now be a5, so they
may need updates as well) but even they aren't yet actively using it I
think.

Someone, either a Pier developer or a user, needs to start actually
*using* the code with the latest Seaside release (I would suggest
maybe not the bleeding edge code, though, or nobody will be able to
follow) so they can stay on top of fixes and merging in code from the
other branch. Otherwise the code will rot, which would be kind of a
shame. The changes weren't even that major, but they did require
repackaging which makes maintaining the two branches more complicated
- I had hoped primary development could move to the new repositories
before they diverged too much.

Julian

Re: pier and seaside 3.0

Nick
Hi Julian/Lukas,

I'm happy to have a go bringing the Pier 3.0 repository upto the latest 2.8 codebase, but I'll need support. For example I'm not sure how to diff code from two different repositories in Pharo..., plus my knowledge of Pier is still rudimentary - but I guess I've got to start somewhere... Would it be a horrendous undertaking??

Nick

2010/1/5 Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]>
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> BTW the load errors:
>> "FileList2 is Undeclared", in MAFileMorph - doesn't seem too concerning as
>> I'm only interested in the seaside bindings.
>
> Yep, the Magritte-Morph is not really required.
>
>> I ignored the error: "Pier-Core depends on PRPackage class>>pierTestsModel"
>> PRCommandTest>>testDate(WAPlatform is undefined)
>> PRCommandTest>>testTimestamp (WAPlatform is Undeclared)
>> PRPersistencyTest>>testMutexForked(WAPlatform is undefined)
>> PRSegmentPersistency>>cleanupSeaside (WAEntryPoint is Undeclared)
>> Should I be concerned by any of these load errors?
>
> That looks like there is version mismatch between Magritte/Pier and Seaside.
>
> The port of of Magritte/Pier was done for VA Smalltalk by Julian, and
> it looks like the code hasn't been adapted to very latest version of
> Seaside. Also the code is quite behind the Magritte/Pier code for
> Seaside 2.8. Shame on me that I still didn't had time to look into
> this.

Mmm... yes, I'm  having trouble recalling now. Did I do the initial
port against Seaside 3.0a4? It's been a couple of months since I
branched, so the Magritte/Pier code would definitely be a bit behind
the 2.8 codebase and I wouldn't be surprised to know it needs minor
updates for the latest Seaside one way or another.

I'm also, unfortunately, not actually *using* the port. As Lukas said,
I did the port as part of work to then port it to VA smalltalk.
Nationaal Spaarfonds would be using it with the version of Seaside
distributed by Instantiations (though that should now be a5, so they
may need updates as well) but even they aren't yet actively using it I
think.

Someone, either a Pier developer or a user, needs to start actually
*using* the code with the latest Seaside release (I would suggest
maybe not the bleeding edge code, though, or nobody will be able to
follow) so they can stay on top of fixes and merging in code from the
other branch. Otherwise the code will rot, which would be kind of a
shame. The changes weren't even that major, but they did require
repackaging which makes maintaining the two branches more complicated
- I had hoped primary development could move to the new repositories
before they diverged too much.

Julian

Re: pier and seaside 3.0

Lukas Renggli
> I'm happy to have a go bringing the Pier 3.0 repository upto the latest 2.8
> codebase, but I'll need support. For example I'm not sure how to diff code
> from two different repositories in Pharo..., plus my knowledge of Pier is
> still rudimentary - but I guess I've got to start somewhere... Would it be a
> horrendous undertaking??

The process is simple: You load the latest Magritte/Pier 3.0 code into
your image, then you add the old Magritte and Pier repositories using
the "+Repository" button, open the repository browser on that
repository, select the latest version of each package (e.g.
Magritte-Core) and click on "Merge".

Normally merging should be really easy, but I don't know how much
Magritte and Pier changed from the previous version. Also the merging
does not work if the packages got renamed.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier and seaside 3.0

Julian Fitzell-2
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Normally merging should be really easy, but I don't know how much
Magritte and Pier changed from the previous version. Also the merging
does not work if the packages got renamed.

In both cases, I pulled platform-specific code out into separate packages (and had to split up the Tests package into smaller chunks). The main packages (-Seaside, -Model, -Security) still have the same names though, so hopefully it won't be *too* bad. For the most part, the changes were *relatively* minor as I recall. I'm certainly happy to answer any questions about my intent, though I suspect my commit messages were relatively clear.

You'll have to be careful that the changes you are merging are still platform-safe (ie. some of my commits will have been removing senders of unsafe selectors and the new code you're merging might still use them) but of course whoever next updates one of the other platform ports will catch those eventually if you miss them anyway.

Julian

Re: pier and seaside 3.0

Nick
I've created a fresh seaside3.0a5 image, loaded Magritte and Pier into it and I've failed at the first merge hurdle. I'm starting with Magritte-Model and when I try merging from 'http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte' I get the error:

'Could not find version ''Magritte-Model-lr.358''. Maybe you need to add a repository?'

any thoughts on my beginners error?

Thanks Nick

2010/1/6 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
> I'm happy to have a go bringing the Pier 3.0 repository upto the latest 2.8
> codebase, but I'll need support. For example I'm not sure how to diff code
> from two different repositories in Pharo..., plus my knowledge of Pier is
> still rudimentary - but I guess I've got to start somewhere... Would it be a
> horrendous undertaking??

The process is simple: You load the latest Magritte/Pier 3.0 code into
your image, then you add the old Magritte and Pier repositories using
the "+Repository" button, open the repository browser on that
repository, select the latest version of each package (e.g.
Magritte-Core) and click on "Merge".

Normally merging should be really easy, but I don't know how much
Magritte and Pier changed from the previous version. Also the merging
does not work if the packages got renamed.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier and seaside 3.0

Nick
While I'm stuck with the merge errors I had a look at the load errors:

PRCommandTest>>testTime (WAPlatform is Undeclared)

PRCommandTest>>testTimestamp (WAPlatform is Undeclared)

PRCommandTest>>testDate (WAPlatform is Undeclared)

PRPersistencyTest>>testMutexForked (WAPlatform is Undeclared)

PRSegmentPersistency>>cleanupSeaside (WAEntryPoint is Undeclared)

They were easy to fix simply by changing WAPlatform to GRPlatform.

However I'm uncertain how to changethe code in PRSegmentPersistency>>cleanupSeaside:

cleanupSeaside
"Clear all the entry points that reference other entry points, state and continuations by overriding them with a blank version. Do not try to call #clearAllHandlers because this spawns a new process. Also dump the default dispatcher just to be sure."
<cleanup>

WAEntryPoint allSubInstances
do: [ :entry | entry copyFrom: entry class basicNew ].
WADispatcher instVarNamed: 'default' put: nil

My best guess is to replace the code with the call:
WARegistry clearAll

marks out out 10?

2010/1/6 Nick Ager <[hidden email]>
I've created a fresh seaside3.0a5 image, loaded Magritte and Pier into it and I've failed at the first merge hurdle. I'm starting with Magritte-Model and when I try merging from 'http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte' I get the error:

'Could not find version ''Magritte-Model-lr.358''. Maybe you need to add a repository?'

any thoughts on my beginners error?

Thanks Nick

2010/1/6 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>

> I'm happy to have a go bringing the Pier 3.0 repository upto the latest 2.8
> codebase, but I'll need support. For example I'm not sure how to diff code
> from two different repositories in Pharo..., plus my knowledge of Pier is
> still rudimentary - but I guess I've got to start somewhere... Would it be a
> horrendous undertaking??

The process is simple: You load the latest Magritte/Pier 3.0 code into
your image, then you add the old Magritte and Pier repositories using
the "+Repository" button, open the repository browser on that
repository, select the latest version of each package (e.g.
Magritte-Core) and click on "Merge".

Normally merging should be really easy, but I don't know how much
Magritte and Pier changed from the previous version. Also the merging
does not work if the packages got renamed.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier and seaside 3.0

Nick
I thought I'd try merging these trivial changes (minus cleanupSeaside), but when I checked the changes I was about to check in I noticed that a lot of the methods had changed. My installation script loads the packages in the following order: Pier-Tests, Pier-Tests-Model, Pier-Tests-Security. Here I show my ignorance again. I'm assuming that Pier-Tests should be a "super package" for Pier-Tests-Model and Pier-Test-Security, however it seems that there's a significant difference between the packages. I'm assuming that Pier-Tests-Model and Pier-Tests_Security supersedes Pier-Tests as the date stamps are later (September vs November). In which case I should check my changes into Pier-Tests-Model and then check in Pier-Tests so that the packages are again consistent. Does that make sense?

Nick

2010/1/6 Nick Ager <[hidden email]>
While I'm stuck with the merge errors I had a look at the load errors:

PRCommandTest>>testTime (WAPlatform is Undeclared)

PRCommandTest>>testTimestamp (WAPlatform is Undeclared)

PRCommandTest>>testDate (WAPlatform is Undeclared)

PRPersistencyTest>>testMutexForked (WAPlatform is Undeclared)

PRSegmentPersistency>>cleanupSeaside (WAEntryPoint is Undeclared)

They were easy to fix simply by changing WAPlatform to GRPlatform.

However I'm uncertain how to changethe code in PRSegmentPersistency>>cleanupSeaside:

cleanupSeaside
"Clear all the entry points that reference other entry points, state and continuations by overriding them with a blank version. Do not try to call #clearAllHandlers because this spawns a new process. Also dump the default dispatcher just to be sure."
<cleanup>

WAEntryPoint allSubInstances
do: [ :entry | entry copyFrom: entry class basicNew ].
WADispatcher instVarNamed: 'default' put: nil

My best guess is to replace the code with the call:
WARegistry clearAll

marks out out 10?

2010/1/6 Nick Ager <[hidden email]>

I've created a fresh seaside3.0a5 image, loaded Magritte and Pier into it and I've failed at the first merge hurdle. I'm starting with Magritte-Model and when I try merging from 'http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte' I get the error:

'Could not find version ''Magritte-Model-lr.358''. Maybe you need to add a repository?'

any thoughts on my beginners error?

Thanks Nick

2010/1/6 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>

> I'm happy to have a go bringing the Pier 3.0 repository upto the latest 2.8
> codebase, but I'll need support. For example I'm not sure how to diff code
> from two different repositories in Pharo..., plus my knowledge of Pier is
> still rudimentary - but I guess I've got to start somewhere... Would it be a
> horrendous undertaking??

The process is simple: You load the latest Magritte/Pier 3.0 code into
your image, then you add the old Magritte and Pier repositories using
the "+Repository" button, open the repository browser on that
repository, select the latest version of each package (e.g.
Magritte-Core) and click on "Merge".

Normally merging should be really easy, but I don't know how much
Magritte and Pier changed from the previous version. Also the merging
does not work if the packages got renamed.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier and seaside 3.0

Julian Fitzell-2
You're sort of right on both counts. Monticello will consider the contents of -Tests-Security and -Tests-Model to also be part of -Tests. -Tests is no longer part of the code in the new repositories, though, because it was split into the various smaller packages. You shouldn't need to commit new versions of Pier-Tests to the /pier2 repository. Hopefully you can merge in the newest -Tests from /pier, move any new classes around as necessary and then commit the changes to -Tests-Security and -Tests-Model, etc. You'll need to pay very close attention to the diffs of packages as you are committing though to make sure you haven't lost code or added code that you don't intend (glad to see you're looking at the diffs already! :) ).

Julian

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Nick Ager <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

2010/1/6 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>

> I'm happy to have a go bringing the Pier 3.0 repository upto the latest 2.8
> codebase, but I'll need support. For example I'm not sure how to diff code
> from two different repositories in Pharo..., plus my knowledge of Pier is
> still rudimentary - but I guess I've got to start somewhere... Would it be a
> horrendous undertaking??

The process is simple: You load the latest Magritte/Pier 3.0 code into
your image, then you add the old Magritte and Pier repositories using
the "+Repository" button, open the repository browser on that
repository, select the latest version of each package (e.g.
Magritte-Core) and click on "Merge".

Normally merging should be really easy, but I don't know how much
Magritte and Pier changed from the previous version. Also the merging
does not work if the packages got renamed.

I'm very confused. I reloaded Pier-Tests-Model manually and it turns out that the correct code was already in place ie s/WAPlatform/GRPlatform & s/seasideString/greaseString/ All I can guess is that Pier-Tests loaded after Pier-Tests-Model even though it's later in my Gofer script. Pier-Tests is in the http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier2 repository. My interpretation of what you say is that either it shouldn't exist or the code in it should be consistent with Pier-Tests-* Can you clarify

Thanks

Nick

2010/1/6 Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]>
> [...]

2010/1/6 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>

> I'm happy to have a go bringing the Pier 3.0 repository upto the latest 2.8
> codebase, but I'll need support. For example I'm not sure how to diff code
> from two different repositories in Pharo..., plus my knowledge of Pier is
> still rudimentary - but I guess I've got to start somewhere... Would it be a
> horrendous undertaking??

The process is simple: You load the latest Magritte/Pier 3.0 code into
your image, then you add the old Magritte and Pier repositories using
the "+Repository" button, open the repository browser on that
repository, select the latest version of each package (e.g.
Magritte-Core) and click on "Merge".

Normally merging should be really easy, but I don't know how much
Magritte and Pier changed from the previous version. Also the merging
does not work if the packages got renamed.

Any ideas on why I get the following error message when I press merge from the original pier repository: 'Could not find version ''Magritte-Model-lr.358''. Maybe you need to add a repository?'
However the changes button works as I'd expect.

2010/1/6 Nick Ager <[hidden email]>
I've created a fresh seaside3.0a5 image, loaded Magritte and Pier into it and I've failed at the first merge hurdle. I'm starting with Magritte-Model and when I try merging from 'http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte' I get the error:

'Could not find version ''Magritte-Model-lr.358''. Maybe you need to add a repository?'

any thoughts on my beginners error?

Thanks Nick

2010/1/6 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>

> I'm happy to have a go bringing the Pier 3.0 repository upto the latest 2.8
> codebase, but I'll need support. For example I'm not sure how to diff code
> from two different repositories in Pharo..., plus my knowledge of Pier is
> still rudimentary - but I guess I've got to start somewhere... Would it be a
> horrendous undertaking??

The process is simple: You load the latest Magritte/Pier 3.0 code into
your image, then you add the old Magritte and Pier repositories using
the "+Repository" button, open the repository browser on that
repository, select the latest version of each package (e.g.
Magritte-Core) and click on "Merge".

Normally merging should be really easy, but I don't know how much
Magritte and Pier changed from the previous version. Also the merging
does not work if the packages got renamed.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier and seaside 3.0

Lukas Renggli
That version is in http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte and is
needed to merge because it is a common ancestor of the two version you
are merging. Are you sure that Magritte-Model has
http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte as a repository added?

Lukas

2010/1/7 Nick Ager <[hidden email]>:

> Any ideas on why I get the following error message when I press merge from
> the original pier repository: 'Could not find version
> ''Magritte-Model-lr.358''. Maybe you need to add a repository?'
> However the changes button works as I'd expect.
> 2010/1/6 Nick Ager <[hidden email]>
>>
>> I've created a fresh seaside3.0a5 image, loaded Magritte and Pier into it
>> and I've failed at the first merge hurdle. I'm starting with Magritte-Model
>> and when I try merging from 'http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte' I get
>> the error:
>> 'Could not find version ''Magritte-Model-lr.358''. Maybe you need to add a
>> repository?'
>>
>> any thoughts on my beginners error?
>> Thanks Nick

>>> The process is simple: You load the latest Magritte/Pier 3.0 code into
>>> your image, then you add the old Magritte and Pier repositories using
>>> the "+Repository" button, open the repository browser on that
>>> repository, select the latest version of each package (e.g.
>>> Magritte-Core) and click on "Merge".
>>>
>>> Normally merging should be really easy, but I don't know how much
>>> Magritte and Pier changed from the previous version. Also the merging
>>> does not work if the packages got renamed.
>>>
>>> Lukas
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch