pier2?

12

pier2?

Randal L. Schwartz

Did I miss an announcement?  Does this mean we have a Pier that works
(or nearly works) with Seaside 3?

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: pier2?

Lukas Renggli
> Did I miss an announcement?  Does this mean we have a Pier that works
> (or nearly works) with Seaside 3?

Yes, it works thanks to the hard work of Julian, Nick and various other people.

As far as I know there are no bugs. There are daily builds at
<http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Seaside%203.0/>. And Dale made a
Metacello definition at <http://www.squeaksource.com/metacello/>, I
have not tested that one myself though.

Actually there is a Seaside 3.0 one-click image with Pier 2 preloaded.
I've put that one on the website because it is required for the book:

    http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.0a5.app.zip

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier2?

Dale
I need to update the Pier2 addons configuration and then I'll push out Metacello configs for Magritte2, Pier2 and PierAddOns2 and a ConfigurationForSeaside that provides "one stop shopping" for Seaside2.8, Magritte, Pier, Seaside3.0, Magritte2, and Pier2 ...

Dale
----- "Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| > Did I miss an announcement?  Does this mean we have a Pier that
| works
| > (or nearly works) with Seaside 3?
|
| Yes, it works thanks to the hard work of Julian, Nick and various
| other people.
|
| As far as I know there are no bugs. There are daily builds at
| <http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Seaside%203.0/>. And Dale made a
| Metacello definition at <http://www.squeaksource.com/metacello/>, I
| have not tested that one myself though.
|
| Actually there is a Seaside 3.0 one-click image with Pier 2
| preloaded.
| I've put that one on the website because it is required for the book:
|
|     http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.0a5.app.zip
|
| Lukas
|
| --
| Lukas Renggli
| http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier2?

Randal L. Schwartz

Lukas> As far as I know there are no bugs. There are daily builds at
Lukas> <http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Seaside%203.0/>. And Dale made a
Lukas> Metacello definition at <http://www.squeaksource.com/metacello/>, I
Lukas> have not tested that one myself though.

So this is my first time using MetaCello, and it looks like to
bootstrap it from Squeak Trunk, I have to go into the Monticello
Browser GUI, and pick the latest package of ConfigurationOfMetacello
manually.

Is there any way to automate all of this in some sort of "doit"?

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: pier2?

Miguel Cobá
El mar, 26-01-2010 a las 14:15 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz escribió:

> Lukas> As far as I know there are no bugs. There are daily builds at
> Lukas> <http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Seaside%203.0/>. And Dale made a
> Lukas> Metacello definition at <http://www.squeaksource.com/metacello/>, I
> Lukas> have not tested that one myself though.
>
> So this is my first time using MetaCello, and it looks like to
> bootstrap it from Squeak Trunk, I have to go into the Monticello
> Browser GUI, and pick the latest package of ConfigurationOfMetacello
> manually.
>
> Is there any way to automate all of this in some sort of "doit"?

No way unless squeak trunk includes Gofer as part of the image.

Gofer is used to bootstrap metacello.

With gofer installed in the image (or by monticello browser in
source.lukas-renggli.ch/gofer) evaluate:

Gofer it
 squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
 package: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
 load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) perform: #loadLatestVersion

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: pier2?

Randal L. Schwartz

Miguel> No way unless squeak trunk includes Gofer as part of the image.

If Gofer is ready for primetime, it should be in Squeak trunk by now.

Is there any reason not to include it?

El mar, 26-01-2010 a las 14:31 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz escribió:

> Miguel> No way unless squeak trunk includes Gofer as part of the image.
>
> If Gofer is ready for primetime, it should be in Squeak trunk by now.
>
> Is there any reason not to include it?

Yes, the developers of Gofer work in Pharo and nobody has proposed gofer
to the squeak inbox.

Other than that, Gofer is fueling all the Pharo 1.0 and Metacello 1.0
release since a couple of months full time.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: pier2?

Dale
Randal,

I have been making sure that Gofer runs on the squeak trunk and GemStone (for use with Metacello)... recently I found two test failures for Gofer on the Squeak trunk, but since the failures didn't affect operation of Metacello I haven't tried to characterize the problems ... nothing obvious was wrong otherwise I would have fixed them...

Dale
----- "Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez" <[hidden email]> wrote

| <[hidden email]> writes:
| >
| > Miguel> No way unless squeak trunk includes Gofer as part of the
| image.
| >
| > If Gofer is ready for primetime, it should be in Squeak trunk by
| now.
| >
| > Is there any reason not to include it?
| >
| Yes, the developers of Gofer work in Pharo and nobody has proposed
| gofer
| to the squeak inbox.
|
| Other than that, Gofer is fueling all the Pharo 1.0 and Metacello 1.0
| release since a couple of months full time.
|

| --
| Miguel Cobá
| http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: pier2?

Randal L. Schwartz

Miguel> No way unless squeak trunk includes Gofer as part of the image.

So this is the shortest Squeak-Trunk way to load Pier2, as a .cs file:

    (Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository')
       install: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
       install: 'ConfigurationOfPier2'!
    ConfigurationOfMetacello loadLatestVersion!
    ConfigurationOfMetacello project latestVersion load: #('UI')!
    ConfigurationOfPier2 load!

There might be a way to combine the second and third step, but this works.
And loading the UI is needed for Pier2, apparently (?)

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: pier2?

Andreas.Raab
Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:
> El mar, 26-01-2010 a las 14:15 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz escribió:
>>
>> Is there any way to automate all of this in some sort of "doit"?
>
> No way unless squeak trunk includes Gofer as part of the image.

Strange you should say that. I find the following in
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository/ConfigurationOfSeaside-DaleHenrichs.12.mcz

ensureMetacello
        "Bootstrap Gofer (if necessary), bootstrap ConfigurationOfMetacello
(using old Gofer API), then load the latest
        version of Metacello itself."

        Smalltalk at: #MetacelloProject ifAbsent: [
                Smalltalk at: #Gofer ifAbsent: [
                        "Current version of Gofer from which to bootstrap - as of 1.0-beta.21"
                        self bootstrapPackage: 'Gofer-Core-lr.115' from:
'http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello' ].
                Smalltalk at: #Gofer ifPresent: [:goferClass | | gofer |
                        gofer := goferClass new
                                url: 'http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello';
                                yourself.
                        [ gofer addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello' ] on: Warning do: [:ex
| ex resume ].
                        gofer load ].
                "load 'default' group of Metacello"
                (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) perform: #load ].

This looks like it's loading Gofer automatically if not present.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: pier2?

Dale
Andreas,

Gofer is just missing for the initial load of the Configuration itself...

Dale
----- "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:
| > El mar, 26-01-2010 a las 14:15 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz escribió:
| >>
| >> Is there any way to automate all of this in some sort of "doit"?
| >
| > No way unless squeak trunk includes Gofer as part of the image.
|
| Strange you should say that. I find the following in
| http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository/ConfigurationOfSeaside-DaleHenrichs.12.mcz
|
| ensureMetacello
| "Bootstrap Gofer (if necessary), bootstrap ConfigurationOfMetacello
| (using old Gofer API), then load the latest
| version of Metacello itself."
|
| Smalltalk at: #MetacelloProject ifAbsent: [
| Smalltalk at: #Gofer ifAbsent: [
| "Current version of Gofer from which to bootstrap - as of
| 1.0-beta.21"
| self bootstrapPackage: 'Gofer-Core-lr.115' from:
| 'http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello' ].
| Smalltalk at: #Gofer ifPresent: [:goferClass | | gofer |
| gofer := goferClass new
| url: 'http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello';
| yourself.
| [ gofer addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello' ] on: Warning do:
| [:ex
| | ex resume ].
| gofer load ].
| "load 'default' group of Metacello"
| (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) perform: #load ].
|
| This looks like it's loading Gofer automatically if not present.
|
| Cheers,
|    - Andreas

Re: pier2?

Lukas Renggli
> I have been making sure that Gofer runs on the squeak trunk and GemStone (for use with Metacello)... recently I found two test failures for Gofer on the Squeak trunk, but since the failures didn't affect operation of Metacello I haven't tried to characterize the problems ... nothing obvious was wrong otherwise I would have fixed them...

What tests do fail?

If this is the crap with the subdirectories repositories I am tempted
to remove it altogether. I don't think anybody depends on that.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier2?

garduino
Hi Lukas:

2010/1/24 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:

> Actually there is a Seaside 3.0 one-click image with Pier 2 preloaded.
> I've put that one on the website because it is required for the book:
>
>    http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.0a5.app.zip
>
> Lukas

Two little questions:

1. On this image, it's safe to update from Monticello to the latest
versions of each package of Pier and friends?

2. How I can apply to Pier2 the skin of "Events" present on Pier 1.2
one click image?

Thanks!

Germán.

Re: pier2?

Lukas Renggli
> 1. On this image, it's safe to update from Monticello to the latest
> versions of each package of Pier and friends?

Yes, as long as you stay in the Pier 1 repositories, and update to the
latest versions of all packages in the following repositories in that
order:

   http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte
   http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier
   http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons

> 2. How I can apply to Pier2 the skin of "Events" present on Pier 1.2
> one click image?

I guess that should be doable quite easily, you have to
backward/forward port the subclass of PRDistribution with that style.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier2?

garduino
2010/5/18 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:

>> 1. On this image, it's safe to update from Monticello to the latest
>> versions of each package of Pier and friends?
>
> Yes, as long as you stay in the Pier 1 repositories, and update to the
> latest versions of all packages in the following repositories in that
> order:
>
>   http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte
>   http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier
>   http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons

Sorry, don't understand why you talk about Pier 1 repositories if the
image is built
with Pier 2 ? (> Actually there is a Seaside 3.0 one-click image with

On 18 May 2010 15:39, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/5/18 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
>>> 1. On this image, it's safe to update from Monticello to the latest
>>> versions of each package of Pier and friends?
>>
>> Yes, as long as you stay in the Pier 1 repositories, and update to the
>> latest versions of all packages in the following repositories in that
>> order:
>>
>>   http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte
>>   http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier
>>   http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons
>>

> Sorry, don't understand why you talk about Pier 1 repositories if the
> image is built
> with Pier 2 ? (> Actually there is a Seaside 3.0 one-click image with
> Pier 2 preloaded.

I don't know what image you are using. The answer is the same, you
just use the version 2 repositories:

    http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte2
    http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier2
    http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons2

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier2?

garduino
2010/5/18 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:

>>> Yes, as long as you stay in the Pier 1 repositories, and update to the
>>> latest versions of all packages in the following repositories in that
>>> order:
>>>
>>>   http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte
>>>   http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier
>>>   http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons
>>>

>> Sorry, don't understand why you talk about Pier 1 repositories if the
>> image is built
>> with Pier 2 ? (> Actually there is a Seaside 3.0 one-click image with
>> Pier 2 preloaded.
>
> I don't know what image you are using. The answer is the same, you
> just use the version 2 repositories:
>
>    http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte2
>    http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier2
>    http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons2

ahh, ok now.

I'm using the prebuilt image you published with Seaside 3 and Pier 2.

Cheers.

Re: pier2?

garduino
2010/5/18 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:

> 2010/5/18 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
>> I don't know what image you are using. The answer is the same, you
>> just use the version 2 repositories:
>>
>>    http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte2
>>    http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier2
>>    http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons2
>>

> ahh, ok now.
>
> I'm using the prebuilt image you published with Seaside 3 and Pier 2.
>
> Cheers.

I tried updating each package from magritte2 and pier2 and when
try to start Pier got: WAUrl(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #queryFields

As far as I can check, WAUrl>>purgeOtherFields (and #purgeSeasideFields)
try to use the method #queryFields that don't exist, even on the whole image.

Any hint will be appreciated.

Cheers.

Re: pier2?

Lukas Renggli
You also need to update Seaside to the latest codebase.

Lukas

On 18 May 2010 19:59, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/5/18 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:
>> 2010/5/18 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
>>> I don't know what image you are using. The answer is the same, you
>>> just use the version 2 repositories:
>>>
>>>    http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/magritte2
>>>    http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier2
>>>    http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pieraddons2
>>>

>> ahh, ok now.
>>
>> I'm using the prebuilt image you published with Seaside 3 and Pier 2.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

> I tried updating each package from magritte2 and pier2 and when
> try to start Pier got: WAUrl(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #queryFields
>
> As far as I can check, WAUrl>>purgeOtherFields (and #purgeSeasideFields)
> try to use the method #queryFields that don't exist, even on the whole image.
>
> Any hint will be appreciated.
>
> Cheers.

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier2?

garduino
ok, I tried to update Seaside, installing the latest
ConfigurationOfSeaside30 (ConfigurationOfSeaside30-dkh.148)

and then evaluating: (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30)
perform: #loadLatestVersion.

but I get some WAAttribute not found here and there (I experienced
this behavior before, trying
to to the same).

And as a final results Pier 2 updated don't works.

Do you think I should go back to Pier 1.2 or some image with all the
updated tools will be available soon?

And other question, can you point me some place were the main
differences between Pier 1.2 and 2 are explained?

Thanks and sorry by bother.

Germán.

2010/5/18 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> You also need to update Seaside to the latest codebase.
>
> Lukas

12