"player's" becomes "nil's"; value types

Markus Schlager-2
Hi all,

I encountered the following phenomenon, which IMO is quite irritating.
It's about "player"-Tiles in scripts with a parameter (screenshots
attached).

I made an empty script with a player-typed parameter an added a basic
method and varaiable-assignment (EllipseTalkTo1.png):

Ellipse>>talkto: player
   Ellipse forward:5
   Ellipse's heading :=0

Then I drag player-tiles off the parameter-area to replace the
Ellipse-tiles (EllipseTalkTo2.png):

Now it looks like

Ellipse>>talkto: player
   Player forward:5
   nil's heading :=0

It _should_ look like

Ellipse>>talkto: player
   player forward:5
   player's heading :=0

Then I change the parameter-type to sth. different and back
(EllipseTalkTo3.png, EllipseTalkTo4.png): "Player" and "nil" become "dot":

Ellipse>>talkto: player
   dot forward:5
   dot heading :=0

The _should_ be:

Ellipse>>talkto: player
   dot forward:5
   dot's heading :=0

I repeat step two an drag 'player'-tiles to replace the 'dot'-tiles. Now
it looks like (EllipseTalkTo5.png)

Ellipse>>talkto: player
   Player forward:5
   Player heading :=0

It _should_ look like

Ellipse>>talkto: player
   player forward:5
   player's heading :=0

So there are three problems:

- Should "player" be capitalized everywhere or nowhere?
- Why does "player's" become "nil's" at the beginning?
- Why is "'s" missing from the moment at which "dot" appears?

And finally I have a request from the point of localization: All
value-types of variables or parameters should get marked translatable. At
the moment this is true for 'Color' and 'Sound' only.

Markus

EllipseTalkTo5.png (6K) Download Attachment
EllipseTalkTo4.png (6K) Download Attachment
EllipseTalkTo3.png (6K) Download Attachment
EllipseTalkTo2.png (6K) Download Attachment
EllipseTalkTo1.png (6K) Download Attachment

Re: "player's" becomes "nil's"; value types

Bert Freudenberg

Am 25.09.2008 um 11:43 schrieb Markus Schlager:

> Hi all,
>
> I encountered the following phenomenon, which IMO is quite irritating.
> It's about "player"-Tiles in scripts with a parameter (screenshots
> attached).
>
> I made an empty script with a player-typed parameter an added a
> basic method and varaiable-assignment (EllipseTalkTo1.png):
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  Ellipse forward:5
>  Ellipse's heading :=0
>
> Then I drag player-tiles off the parameter-area to replace the
> Ellipse-tiles (EllipseTalkTo2.png):
>
> Now it looks like
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  Player forward:5
>  nil's heading :=0
>
> It _should_ look like
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  player forward:5
>  player's heading :=0
>
> Then I change the parameter-type to sth. different and back
> (EllipseTalkTo3.png, EllipseTalkTo4.png): "Player" and "nil" become
> "dot":
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  dot forward:5
>  dot heading :=0
>
> The _should_ be:
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  dot forward:5
>  dot's heading :=0
>
> I repeat step two an drag 'player'-tiles to replace the 'dot'-tiles.
> Now it looks like (EllipseTalkTo5.png)
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  Player forward:5
>  Player heading :=0
>

> It _should_ look like
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>  player forward:5
>  player's heading :=0
>
> So there are three problems:
>
> - Should "player" be capitalized everywhere or nowhere?
> - Why does "player's" become "nil's" at the beginning?
> - Why is "'s" missing from the moment at which "dot" appears?
>
> And finally I have a request from the point of localization: All
> value-types of variables or parameters should get marked
> translatable. At the moment this is true for 'Color' and 'Sound' only.

Thanks for the bug report. I've opened a few tickets:

Parameter displays 'nil' in slot tile
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8694

Possessive "s" goes missing
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8695

Translate argument types
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8696

Parameter tile capitalization inconsistent
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8697

Btw, it's sufficient to report bugs in one list, not both. The [hidden email]
  list is more developer-oriented whereas the Squeakland list deals
more with educational aspects. We should move the follow-up discussion
of genuine bugs to the Etoys list.

- Bert -

Re: [Etoys] "player's" becomes "nil's"; value types

Scott Wallace
Thanks very much for this valuable and very clear bug report, Markus!

Attached is a fileout which purports to fix all the bugs and issues
you mention; I've also posted this on the olpc bug-tracking system
under TRAC ticket 8694, the first of the four tickets Bert filed to
represent four distinct bugs identifiable from your report.

Feedback from anyone who knows what to do with a "fileout" such as the
attached and who wishes to help test this potential update would be
most welcome.

Cheers,

-- Scott

On Sep 25, 2008, at 11:43 AM, Markus Schlager wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I encountered the following phenomenon, which IMO is quite irritating.
> It's about "player"-Tiles in scripts with a parameter (screenshots
> attached).
>
> I made an empty script with a player-typed parameter an added a
> basic method and varaiable-assignment (EllipseTalkTo1.png):
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
> Ellipse forward:5
> Ellipse's heading :=0
>
> Then I drag player-tiles off the parameter-area to replace the
> Ellipse-tiles (EllipseTalkTo2.png):
>
> Now it looks like
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
> Player forward:5
> nil's heading :=0
>
> It _should_ look like
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
> player forward:5
> player's heading :=0
>
> Then I change the parameter-type to sth. different and back
> (EllipseTalkTo3.png, EllipseTalkTo4.png): "Player" and "nil" become
> "dot":
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
> dot forward:5
> dot heading :=0
>
> The _should_ be:
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
> dot forward:5
> dot's heading :=0
>
> I repeat step two an drag 'player'-tiles to replace the 'dot'-tiles.
> Now it looks like (EllipseTalkTo5.png)
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
> Player forward:5
> Player heading :=0
>

> It _should_ look like
>
> Ellipse>>talkto: player
> player forward:5
> player's heading :=0
>
> So there are three problems:
>
> - Should "player" be capitalized everywhere or nowhere?
> - Why does "player's" become "nil's" at the beginning?
> - Why is "'s" missing from the moment at which "dot" appears?
>
> And finally I have a request from the point of localization: All
> value-types of variables or parameters should get marked
> translatable. At the moment this is true for 'Color' and 'Sound' only.
>
> Markus
> Markus Schlager
> .slg
> @gmx
> .de
> <
> EllipseTalkTo5
> .png
> >
> <
> EllipseTalkTo4
> .png
> >
> <
> EllipseTalkTo3
> .png
> >
> <
> EllipseTalkTo2
> .png
> ><EllipseTalkTo1.png>_______________________________________________
> Etoys mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/etoys

playerParmFixes-sw.9.cs.gz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Re: [Etoys] "player's" becomes "nil's"; value types

Scott Wallace
Attached now is an alternative and more limited fileout, which
addresses only TRAC 8694 ("parameter displays 'nil' in slot tile") and
TRAC 8695 ("possessive 's' goes missing").

I've split this out so that these two non-controversial fixes can
quickly get moved along into the next releases.  The other two bugs
addressed in yesterday's fileout brought up issues relating to "un-
camel-casing" policy, about which discussions are ongoing -- see, for
example, https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8696

Feedback still very welcome on all these issues!

   -- Scott

On Oct 5, 2008, at 2:02 AM, Scott Wallace wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>> dot forward:5
>> dot's heading :=0
>>
>> I repeat step two an drag 'player'-tiles to replace the 'dot'-
>> tiles. Now it looks like (EllipseTalkTo5.png)
>>
>> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>> Player forward:5
>> Player heading :=0
>>

>> It _should_ look like
>>
>> Ellipse>>talkto: player
>> player forward:5
>> player's heading :=0
>>
>> So there are three problems:
>>
>> - Should "player" be capitalized everywhere or nowhere?
>> - Why does "player's" become "nil's" at the beginning?
>> - Why is "'s" missing from the moment at which "dot" appears?
>>
>> And finally I have a request from the point of localization: All
>> value-types of variables or parameters should get marked
>> translatable. At the moment this is true for 'Color' and 'Sound'

playerValuedParm-sw.4.cs.gz (990 bytes) Download Attachment