port of squeak-vm to ppc

1 message Options

port of squeak-vm to ppc

pascal.vollmer

Hi,

I currently try to get Squeak ported to a PowerPC-board with pre-installed Linux (MPC5200B tiny by Phytec). I have gathered some of the elements how to do that but I get stuck in composing them in the right way and this is where I'd like to ask for advice.

Here is my environment:

1) build-machine is a i686/Linux (Suse 10.1) with binutils for the PowerPC host

2) a directory with the Squeak-VM sources (Squeak-3.10-4.src.tar.gz)

Here are my actions:

1) I invoke .configure as it is explained in http://squeakvm.org/unix/devel.html:

cd buildPPCLx

../platforms/unix/config/configure --prefix=$HOME/smalltalk/squeak/Squeak-VM/Squeak-3.10-4/PPCLx --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=powerpc-603e-linux-gnu

2) I get back an error message saying ''checking "size of int"... configure: error: cannot run test program while cross compiling ''

Here is my question:

1) some advices on the net say, I should run autoconf with a version greater than 2.53b to get rid of that problem,

2) others say I should set manually those values in configure.ac and rerun autoconf. They are host properties after all and cannot be tested on the build system,

3) I found one explicit explanation referring to the gumstix (http://www.davehylands.com/linux/gumstix/squeak/). But I do not want to follow these advices blindly as I do not fully understand their impact.

Any hint how to continue ?

Kind regards

Pascal

Pascal Vollmer
Email: [hidden email]

Jetzt komfortabel bei Arcor-Digital TV einsteigen: Mehr Happy Ends, mehr Herzschmerz, mehr Fernsehen! Erleben Sie 50 digitale TV Programme und optional 60 Pay TV Sender, einen elektronischen Programmführer mit Movie Star Bewertungen von TV Movie. Außerdem, aktuelle Filmhits und spannende Dokus in der Arcor-Videothek. Infos unter www.arcor.de/tv