portability, java and Apple

timrowledge
Spotted a note on wired.com about the powerPC-intel transition;
"Java-based applications compiled for PowerPC chips are broken, such
as file-sharing client LimeWire; and so are any appli..."
Um, pardon me but wasn't java supposed to be portable? Yes, I
understand that this is at least partly to do with the JNI nonsense
but really - does no one ever learn?

Rough Rules for optimisation -
1. Don't
2. for experts only - Don't Yet

tim
Strange OpCodes: OKP: On your Knees and Pray!

Re: portability, java and Apple

Philippe Marschall
2006/1/26, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:
> Spotted a note on wired.com about the powerPC-intel transition;
> "Java-based applications compiled for PowerPC chips are broken, such
> as file-sharing client LimeWire; and so are any appli..."
> Um, pardon me but wasn't java supposed to be portable? Yes, I
> understand that this is at least partly to do with the JNI nonsense
> but really - does no one ever learn?

So they need to be recompiled like squeak plugins?

Re: portability, java and Apple

Jason Rogers-4
On 1/26/06, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2006/1/26, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:
> > Spotted a note on wired.com about the powerPC-intel transition;
> > "Java-based applications compiled for PowerPC chips are broken, such
> > as file-sharing client LimeWire; and so are any appli..."
> > Um, pardon me but wasn't java supposed to be portable? Yes, I
> > understand that this is at least partly to do with the JNI nonsense
> > but really - does no one ever learn?
>
> So they need to be recompiled like squeak plugins?

touché

--
Jason Rogers

"Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    Proverbs 29:18

Re: portability, java and Apple

Bergel, Alexandre
Stupid question, but softwares that are PPC-based, will they work on
the new intel-based model ? Do they provide a kind of emulator as it
is for the ClassicMac ?

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~bergel

On 26-Jan-06, at 12:47 PM, Jason Rogers wrote:

> On 1/26/06, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2006/1/26, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:
>>> Spotted a note on wired.com about the powerPC-intel transition;
>>> "Java-based applications compiled for PowerPC chips are broken, such
>>> as file-sharing client LimeWire; and so are any appli..."
>>> Um, pardon me but wasn't java supposed to be portable? Yes, I
>>> understand that this is at least partly to do with the JNI nonsense
>>> but really - does no one ever learn?
>>
>> So they need to be recompiled like squeak plugins?
>
> touché
Wrong. The plugins are provided with the Squeak application and your
end-user application is a portable image. JNI is a deliberate with-
malice-aforethough binding of an *application* to a particular OS/cpu.

Yes, you can be that stupid with Squeak if you want. You can make an
image that uses FFI in such a way that it can only work on one
platform. With a tiny bit more thought you can abstract that an make
an image that uses the right FFI for each platform, or even handles a
platform without an FFI capability. I expect that with thought you
could do the same in java but the that much thinking would probably
lead you to not do it in java anyway.

tim
Strange OpCodes: HEM: Hide Evidence of Malfunction

On 26-Jan-06, at 12:55 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Stupid question, but softwares that are PPC-based, will they work
> on the new intel-based model ? Do they provide a kind of emulator
> as it is for the ClassicMac ?
google for 'Rosetta apple intel' or similar. Basic answer: yes but
there are apparently (and unsurprisingly) some limitations.

tim
.signature not found!  reformat hard drive? [Yn]

Please have a look the `Squeak and bluetooth' thread.

On 26-Jan-06, at 1:33 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Please have a look the `Squeak and bluetooth' thread.
Yes, and ... ?

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Illiud Latine dici non potest = You can't say
that in Latin.