preparing the 4.0 release

12

preparing the 4.0 release

Tudor Girba
Hi,

It looks like most issues related to 4.0 are solved, with the
exception of the Glamour cycle which I moved to 4.1. So, I would say
that we can now release 4.0.

I would only have one question: What would you say about including the
MOGraphVizLayout in this release?
On the one hand, it offers a number of new layout possibilities, on
the other hand it requires GraphViz to be installed in the command
line and it works only on Linux and Mac (however, there is a check).

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of
problem understanding."

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Simon Denier-3

On 10 mai 2010, at 11:58, Tudor Girba wrote:

Hi,

It looks like most issues related to 4.0 are solved, with the exception of the Glamour cycle which I moved to 4.1. So, I would say that we can now release 4.0.

I would only have one question: What would you say about including the MOGraphVizLayout in this release?
On the one hand, it offers a number of new layout possibilities, on the other hand it requires GraphViz to be installed in the command line and it works only on Linux and Mac (however, there is a check).

It's the same thing for infusion right? Except (infusion works on 3 platforms).

Does it mean it gets included in the one-click image?

--
 Simon

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Tudor Girba
Hi,

On 10 May 2010, at 12:40, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 10 mai 2010, at 11:58, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It looks like most issues related to 4.0 are solved, with the
>> exception of the Glamour cycle which I moved to 4.1. So, I would
>> say that we can now release 4.0.
>>
>> I would only have one question: What would you say about including
>> the MOGraphVizLayout in this release?
>> On the one hand, it offers a number of new layout possibilities, on
>> the other hand it requires GraphViz to be installed in the command
>> line and it works only on Linux and Mac (however, there is a check).
>
> It's the same thing for infusion right? Except (infusion works on 3
> platforms).

Indeed.

> Does it mean it gets included in the one-click image?

What? The MOGraphVizLayout? If nobody has objections, then yes :). Or
inFusion?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Simon Denier-3

On 10 mai 2010, at 13:48, Tudor Girba wrote:

[...]

I was thinking of the platform-dependent graphviz package. But if there is already an informative check (like a pop-up informing user to install graphviz if not detected), I think it's good enough.

--
 Simon

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I added such a popup. Could someone check if it is good enough? (I
already have GraphViz installed)

To try it, load the latest MondrianGraphVizLayout package and execute:

view := MOViewRenderer new.
view nodes: (1 to: 100).
view edgesFrom: [:x | x // 10].
view graphvizLayout.
view open

Cheers,
Doru

On 10 May 2010, at 13:57, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 10 mai 2010, at 13:48, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> It's the same thing for infusion right? Except (infusion works on
>>> 3 platforms).
>>
>> Indeed.
>>
>>> Does it mean it gets included in the one-click image?
>>
>> What? The MOGraphVizLayout? If nobody has objections, then yes :).
>> Or inFusion?
>
> I was thinking of the platform-dependent graphviz package. But if
> there is already an informative check (like a pop-up informing user
> to install graphviz if not detected), I think it's good enough.
>
> --
>  Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Alexandre Bergel
Hi Doru,

If MOGraphVizLayout is useful, then it should be part of Moose 4.0.
However, I am not sure it has to be part of Mondrian itself.
MOGraphVizLayout use OSProcess, and I think that Mondrian should not
depend on OSProcess.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 10 May 2010, at 05:58, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It looks like most issues related to 4.0 are solved, with the
> exception of the Glamour cycle which I moved to 4.1. So, I would say
> that we can now release 4.0.
>
> I would only have one question: What would you say about including
> the MOGraphVizLayout in this release?
> On the one hand, it offers a number of new layout possibilities, on
> the other hand it requires GraphViz to be installed in the command
> line and it works only on Linux and Mac (however, there is a check).
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of
> problem understanding."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Tudor Girba
GraphVizLayout is pretty useful when you have large graphs without a
particular order. MOGraphVizLayout provides convenience constructors
(both class and instance side) for the different layouts supported by
GraphViz. The spring layouts offered are pretty interesting.

The layouts are described briefly here:
http://www.graphviz.org/

Cheers,
Doru

On 10 May 2010, at 15:56, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi Doru,
>
> If MOGraphVizLayout is useful, then it should be part of Moose 4.0.
> However, I am not sure it has to be part of Mondrian itself.
> MOGraphVizLayout use OSProcess, and I think that Mondrian should not
> depend on OSProcess.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On 10 May 2010, at 05:58, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It looks like most issues related to 4.0 are solved, with the
>> exception of the Glamour cycle which I moved to 4.1. So, I would
>> say that we can now release 4.0.
>>
>> I would only have one question: What would you say about including
>> the MOGraphVizLayout in this release?
>> On the one hand, it offers a number of new layout possibilities, on
>> the other hand it requires GraphViz to be installed in the command
>> line and it works only on Linux and Mac (however, there is a check).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of
>> problem understanding."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Alexandre Bergel-4
Most of these layouts are in Mondrian already.
It would be cool to have a scalable spring layout.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 10 May 2010, at 11:51, Tudor Girba wrote:

> GraphVizLayout is pretty useful when you have large graphs without a
> particular order. MOGraphVizLayout provides convenience constructors
> (both class and instance side) for the different layouts supported
> by GraphViz. The spring layouts offered are pretty interesting.
>
> The layouts are described briefly here:
> http://www.graphviz.org/
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 10 May 2010, at 15:56, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Hi Doru,
>>
>> If MOGraphVizLayout is useful, then it should be part of Moose 4.0.
>> However, I am not sure it has to be part of Mondrian itself.
>> MOGraphVizLayout use OSProcess, and I think that Mondrian should
>> not depend on OSProcess.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On 10 May 2010, at 05:58, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It looks like most issues related to 4.0 are solved, with the
>>> exception of the Glamour cycle which I moved to 4.1. So, I would
>>> say that we can now release 4.0.
>>>
>>> I would only have one question: What would you say about including
>>> the MOGraphVizLayout in this release?
>>> On the one hand, it offers a number of new layout possibilities,
>>> on the other hand it requires GraphViz to be installed in the
>>> command line and it works only on Linux and Mac (however, there is
>>> a check).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of
>>> problem understanding."

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Tudor Girba
Hi Alex,

Not really.

Three of them (neato, fdp and sfdp) are spring layouts.

Dot is similar to the DominanceTreeLayout.

Twopi is similar to RadialTreeLayout, but the layout makes better use
of space, especially when you have connected trees.

Even the circo layout is different in that it can handle multiple
circles.

Cheers,
Doru

On 10 May 2010, at 17:58, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Most of these layouts are in Mondrian already.
> It would be cool to have a scalable spring layout.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On 10 May 2010, at 11:51, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> GraphVizLayout is pretty useful when you have large graphs without
>> a particular order. MOGraphVizLayout provides convenience
>> constructors (both class and instance side) for the different
>> layouts supported by GraphViz. The spring layouts offered are
>> pretty interesting.
>>
>> The layouts are described briefly here:
>> http://www.graphviz.org/
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 10 May 2010, at 15:56, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Doru,
>>>
>>> If MOGraphVizLayout is useful, then it should be part of Moose
>>> 4.0. However, I am not sure it has to be part of Mondrian itself.
>>> MOGraphVizLayout use OSProcess, and I think that Mondrian should
>>> not depend on OSProcess.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre

>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I have two more issues on the topic of dependencies to be loaded by
the default configuration:

1. XML Support
I would include the XML-Parser from the XMLSupport repo and OPAX (the
small addition to the SAXParser that enables dealing with tags
polymorphically)

2. Magritte as a requirement for MagrittePresentation in Glamour
It is true that there is no direct usage of Magritte, but if we want
to position Moose as allowing people to build their own tools, I think
it is important. An example of what can be done with it can be seen
here:
http://www.themoosebook.org/book/internals/glamour/presentations/magritte

The drawback here is that this would load 150 classes (including
tests) + 50 classes from Grease.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Doru

On 10 May 2010, at 18:08, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Not really.
>
> Three of them (neato, fdp and sfdp) are spring layouts.
>
> Dot is similar to the DominanceTreeLayout.
>
> Twopi is similar to RadialTreeLayout, but the layout makes better
> use of space, especially when you have connected trees.
>
> Even the circo layout is different in that it can handle multiple
> circles.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 10 May 2010, at 17:58, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Most of these layouts are in Mondrian already.
>> It would be cool to have a scalable spring layout.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On 10 May 2010, at 11:51, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> GraphVizLayout is pretty useful when you have large graphs without
>>> a particular order. MOGraphVizLayout provides convenience
>>> constructors (both class and instance side) for the different
>>> layouts supported by GraphViz. The spring layouts offered are
>>> pretty interesting.
>>>
>>> The layouts are described briefly here:
>>> http://www.graphviz.org/
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Alexandre Bergel-4
> I have two more issues on the topic of dependencies to be loaded by the default configuration:
>
> 1. XML Support
> I would include the XML-Parser from the XMLSupport repo and OPAX (the small addition to the SAXParser that enables dealing with tags polymorphically)

I was wondering, should OPAX be kept separated from XMLSupport?

> 2. Magritte as a requirement for MagrittePresentation in Glamour
> It is true that there is no direct usage of Magritte, but if we want to position Moose as allowing people to build their own tools, I think it is important. An example of what can be done with it can be seen here:
> http://www.themoosebook.org/book/internals/glamour/presentations/magritte
>
> The drawback here is that this would load 150 classes (including tests) + 50 classes from Grease.
> What do you think?

We should promote innovation. Include it then.
200 classes is nothing compared to loading Linux and Swing in the same image.

Alexandre

On 14 May 2010, at 18:48, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> I have two more issues on the topic of dependencies to be loaded by
>> the default configuration:
>>
>> 1. XML Support
>> I would include the XML-Parser from the XMLSupport repo and OPAX
>> (the small addition to the SAXParser that enables dealing with tags
>> polymorphically)
>
> I was wondering, should OPAX be kept separated from XMLSupport?

I would be happy if OPAX would get integrated into XMLSupport. I think
it belongs there. There are a number of things that could be added
(such as better matching for tags, or various default traversals), but
I think even as simple as it currently is, it still adds to the SAX
protocol.

>> 2. Magritte as a requirement for MagrittePresentation in Glamour
>> It is true that there is no direct usage of Magritte, but if we
>> want to position Moose as allowing people to build their own tools,
>> I think it is important. An example of what can be done with it can
>> be seen here:
>> http://www.themoosebook.org/book/internals/glamour/presentations/magritte
>>
>> The drawback here is that this would load 150 classes (including
>> tests) + 50 classes from Grease.
>> What do you think?
>
> We should promote innovation. Include it then.
> 200 classes is nothing compared to loading Linux and Swing in the
> same image

That is true. I was just weighing pros and cons :)

Cheers,
Doru

> Alexandre
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 10 May 2010, at 18:08, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Alex,
>>>
>>> Not really.
>>>
>>> Three of them (neato, fdp and sfdp) are spring layouts.
>>>
>>> Dot is similar to the DominanceTreeLayout.
>>>
>>> Twopi is similar to RadialTreeLayout, but the layout makes better
>>> use of space, especially when you have connected trees.
>>>
>>> Even the circo layout is different in that it can handle multiple
>>> circles.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at
>> them."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Being happy is a matter of choice."

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Alexandre Bergel-4
>> I was wondering, should OPAX be kept separated from XMLSupport?
>
> I would be happy if OPAX would get integrated into XMLSupport. I think it belongs there. There are a number of things that could be added (such as better matching for tags, or various default traversals), but I think even as simple as it currently is, it still adds to the SAX protocol.

Ok. I will include OPAX in XMLSupport. Just give me a few days.

Alexandre

>>> 2. Magritte as a requirement for MagrittePresentation in Glamour
>>> It is true that there is no direct usage of Magritte, but if we want to position Moose as allowing people to build their own tools, I think it is important. An example of what can be done with it can be seen here:
>>> http://www.themoosebook.org/book/internals/glamour/presentations/magritte
>>>
>>> The drawback here is that this would load 150 classes (including tests) + 50 classes from Grease.
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> We should promote innovation. Include it then.
>> 200 classes is nothing compared to loading Linux and Swing in the same image
>
> That is true. I was just weighing pros and cons :)
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> Alexandre
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Being happy is a matter of choice."

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

jannik laval
Hi all,

There is no more issue in bugTracker for 4.0.
We should push the release, now.

Alex, have you finished to include OPAX ?
Do you need help ?

Is there something to do for the release ?
With Cyrille, we can do this afternoon the Metacello configuration for it.

Cheers,

On May 16, 2010, at 23:12 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>>> I was wondering, should OPAX be kept separated from XMLSupport?
>>
>> I would be happy if OPAX would get integrated into XMLSupport. I think it belongs there. There are a number of things that could be added (such as better matching for tags, or various default traversals), but I think even as simple as it currently is, it still adds to the SAX protocol.
>
> Ok. I will include OPAX in XMLSupport. Just give me a few days.
>
> Alexandre

---
Jannik Laval

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Tudor Girba
Hi,

> Hi all,
>
> There is no more issue in bugTracker for 4.0.
> We should push the release, now.

Yes.

> Alex, have you finished to include OPAX ?
> Do you need help ?

For OPAX, we could just simply move the package over to XMLSupport.

> Is there something to do for the release ?

I am now working on adding Magritte as prerequisite for Glamour. I
will let you know when I am done.

> With Cyrille, we can do this afternoon the Metacello configuration
> for it.

Great. I will be online.

Cheers,
Doru

> Cheers,

>>> I would be happy if OPAX would get integrated into XMLSupport. I
>>> think it belongs there. There are a number of things that could be
>>> added (such as better matching for tags, or various default
>>> traversals), but I think even as simple as it currently is, it
>>> still adds to the SAX protocol.
>>
>> Ok. I will include OPAX in XMLSupport. Just give me a few days.
>>
>> Alexandre
>
> ---
> Jannik Laval

www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I added:
- Magritte to the default configuration of Glamour
- Arki-Reporter package to the ConfigurationOfMoose
- ConfigurationOfXMLSupport (1.0.1-baseline) to the ConfigurationOfMoose
- Opax package to the ConfigurationOfMoose

Everything loads fine:
http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/152/

Cheers,
Doru

On 21 May 2010, at 09:57, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There is no more issue in bugTracker for 4.0.
>> We should push the release, now.
>
> Yes.
>
>> Alex, have you finished to include OPAX ?
>> Do you need help ?
>
> For OPAX, we could just simply move the package over to XMLSupport.
>
>> Is there something to do for the release ?
>
> I am now working on adding Magritte as prerequisite for Glamour. I
> will let you know when I am done.
>
>> With Cyrille, we can do this afternoon the Metacello configuration
>> for it.
>
> Great. I will be online.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>> Cheers,

>>> Ok. I will include OPAX in XMLSupport. Just give me a few days.
>>>
>>> Alexandre
>>
>> ---
>> Jannik Laval

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of
problem understanding."

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Alexandre Bergel-4
> Alex, have you finished to include OPAX ?
> Do you need help ?

I planned to do this before Sunday. And it has nothing to do with lazyness, believe me

Alexandre

> Is there something to do for the release ?
> With Cyrille, we can do this afternoon the Metacello configuration for it.
>
> Cheers,

>>> I would be happy if OPAX would get integrated into XMLSupport. I think it belongs there. There are a number of things that could be added (such as better matching for tags, or various default traversals), but I think even as simple as it currently is, it still adds to the SAX protocol.
>>
>> Ok. I will include OPAX in XMLSupport. Just give me a few days.
>>
>> Alexandre
>
> ---
> Jannik Laval

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Alexandre Bergel-4
Opax is now in.
I added a small method called readme in OPOpaxTest. It says what Opax is for.

I could not understand the class OPOpaxHandlerTestClass.
This class is part of a test scenario. But I cannot easily see a justification of the method override in it. Maybe the class could be documented?

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 21 May 2010, at 07:45, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> Alex, have you finished to include OPAX ?
>> Do you need help ?
>
> I planned to do this before Sunday. And it has nothing to do with lazyness, believe me
>
> Alexandre
>

>> Is there something to do for the release ?
>> With Cyrille, we can do this afternoon the Metacello configuration for it.
>>
>> Cheers,

>>> Ok. I will include OPAX in XMLSupport. Just give me a few days.
>>>
>>> Alexandre
>>
>> ---
>> Jannik Laval

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Tudor Girba
Hi Alex,

Thanks. I will then remove the Opax from the ConfigurationOfMoose.

Just a question, which ConfigurationOfXMLParser should we depend on?
The one from the XMLSupport repository, or the one from the
MetacelloRepository. I would prefer the one from the XMLSupport
repository.

Cheers,
Doru

On 21 May 2010, at 19:11, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Opax is now in.
> I added a small method called readme in OPOpaxTest. It says what
> Opax is for.
>
> I could not understand the class OPOpaxHandlerTestClass.
> This class is part of a test scenario. But I cannot easily see a
> justification of the method override in it. Maybe the class could be
> documented?
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On 21 May 2010, at 07:45, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>>> Alex, have you finished to include OPAX ?
>>> Do you need help ?
>>
>> I planned to do this before Sunday. And it has nothing to do with
>> lazyness, believe me
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>>> Is there something to do for the release ?
>>> With Cyrille, we can do this afternoon the Metacello configuration
>>> for it.
>>>
>>> Cheers,

>>> ---
>>> Jannik Laval

www.tudorgirba.com

"Some battles are better lost than fought."

Re: preparing the 4.0 release

Alexandre Bergel-4
Pick ConfigurationOfXMLSupport from XMLSupport.

Cheers,
Alexandre