presentations / slide shows.

Benedict Kavanagh
Hello all,

I work on Linux. I know smalltalk reasonably well. I don't know the
Squeak 2D Apis. I am interested in using Squeak as a platform to develop
more engaging slideshow presentations. My talks are normally about
formal  methods in programming language semantics. I'm tired of the
tedium of slides produced by beamer.

I saw the keynote by Alan Kay in 2004 at OOPSLA.  I want to make
presentations like that.  Can anyone confirm that the slides for that
talk were written in Squeak?

The Sophie project is a close fit for what I want. I was just wondering
if there was any other work written  in Squeak that I could look at that
relates to my goal.  In particular I would be interested in any
presentations/slide shows that were written in Squeak as one-offs to see
roughly how much is required for a  'from scratch'  slide show as I
generally prefer to sit on top of my own code when possible.

Is there a FAQ about this topic?

Cheers,
Ben

Re: presentations / slide shows.

Alan Kay
Hi Benedict --

Yes, all of the "slides" (they were actually Squeak/Etoys projects)
were completely done in Squeak (I think only using the Etoys part of
the environment).

Cheers,

Alan

At 01:10 PM 5/17/2007, Benedict Kavanagh wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I work on Linux. I know smalltalk reasonably well. I don't know the
>Squeak 2D Apis. I am interested in using Squeak as a platform to develop
>more engaging slideshow presentations. My talks are normally about
>formal  methods in programming language semantics. I'm tired of the
>tedium of slides produced by beamer.
>
>I saw the keynote by Alan Kay in 2004 at OOPSLA.  I want to make
>presentations like that.  Can anyone confirm that the slides for that
>talk were written in Squeak?
>
>The Sophie project is a close fit for what I want. I was just wondering
>if there was any other work written  in Squeak that I could look at that
>relates to my goal.  In particular I would be interested in any
>presentations/slide shows that were written in Squeak as one-offs to see
>roughly how much is required for a  'from scratch'  slide show as I
>generally prefer to sit on top of my own code when possible.
>
>Is there a FAQ about this topic?
>
>Cheers,
>Ben

Re: presentations / slide shows.

Brad Fuller-3
Benedict Kavanagh wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I work on Linux. I know smalltalk reasonably well. I don't know the
> Squeak 2D Apis. I am interested in using Squeak as a platform to develop
> more engaging slideshow presentations. My talks are normally about
> formal  methods in programming language semantics. I'm tired of the
> tedium of slides produced by beamer.
>
> I saw the keynote by Alan Kay in 2004 at OOPSLA.  I want to make
> presentations like that.  Can anyone confirm that the slides for that
> talk were written in Squeak?
>
> The Sophie project is a close fit for what I want. I was just wondering
> if there was any other work written  in Squeak that I could look at that
> relates to my goal.  In particular I would be interested in any
> presentations/slide shows that were written in Squeak as one-offs to see
> roughly how much is required for a  'from scratch'  slide show as I
> generally prefer to sit on top of my own code when possible.
>
> Is there a FAQ about this topic?

hey ben. I've started a project to do just that. if you are a
programmer, maybe we could collaborate.

Im also interested in what others have to say about your questions.

(please ignore typing mistakes. just had rt. shoulder surgery im
rt-handed. what a pain to point and type lt-handed!)

> Ben

brad fuller
 website:  www.bradfuller.com
 linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/bradfuller
 +1 (408) 799-6124

Re: presentations / slide shows.

Benedict Kavanagh
Hi Brad,

I am willing to share any progress I make. I'm still getting my head around the basics of the platform at the moment.

My main interest is in adding useful animating effects in scientific talks. (highlighting variables, animating proof steps etc) so I care a lot about how mathematical equations can be typeset and how that layout can be morphed to good effect.

One possibility I will look into is latex -> dvi -> svg -> ??
what is '??'
possibilities are:
 1. Squeak svg interpreter (I guess this already exists)
 2. Squeak layout objects which I can manipulate with an animation library.

What are you trying to build? Is there a website I could look at?

-Ben