preserving heritage (was: filtered menu in 3.11)

preserving heritage (was: filtered menu in 3.11)

Chris Muller-3
Squeak has been such a great journey, and its own historical path is
somewhat captured in the timestamp / author-stamp information of the
individual methods.

I think it is worthwhile to revert methods properly; meaning to truly
revert them not just to the prior code, but to the prior accounting
record associated with that.

With Monticello, it is relatively easy to retrieve the original method
from the prior version.  Proper reversion is one reason for keeping
around all the old versions of code.

More importantly, however, I think we should take care to revert
methods properly so that the original history and heritage of the
object-model that is the latest and greatest Squeak image, be
preserved as much as possible.

I do it even with just my own code, even when I'm the same initials,
because it is still worth it to me to know, _when_ was that method
written.  How long has that method been sitting there, unchanged.

Again, I think it's worth it, and I hope others will consider the
value of adopting this practice as well.

Thank you,
  Chris

Re: preserving heritage (was: filtered menu in 3.11)

Ken Causey-3
On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 20:38 -0600, Chris Muller wrote:

> Squeak has been such a great journey, and its own historical path is
> somewhat captured in the timestamp / author-stamp information of the
> individual methods.
>
> I think it is worthwhile to revert methods properly; meaning to truly
> revert them not just to the prior code, but to the prior accounting
> record associated with that.
>
> With Monticello, it is relatively easy to retrieve the original method
> from the prior version.  Proper reversion is one reason for keeping
> around all the old versions of code.
>
> More importantly, however, I think we should take care to revert
> methods properly so that the original history and heritage of the
> object-model that is the latest and greatest Squeak image, be
> preserved as much as possible.
>
> I do it even with just my own code, even when I'm the same initials,
> because it is still worth it to me to know, _when_ was that method
> written.  How long has that method been sitting there, unchanged.
>
> Again, I think it's worth it, and I hope others will consider the
> value of adopting this practice as well.
>
> Thank you,
>   Chris
+1

I wonder if there is some reasonable change to the tools that could be
made to make this more natural and therefore require less forethought.
I share your goal but often forget.

Ken

Re: preserving heritage (was: filtered menu in 3.11)

Eliot Miranda-2

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Ken Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 20:38 -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
> Squeak has been such a great journey, and its own historical path is
> somewhat captured in the timestamp / author-stamp information of the
> individual methods.
>
> I think it is worthwhile to revert methods properly; meaning to truly
> revert them not just to the prior code, but to the prior accounting
> record associated with that.
>
> With Monticello, it is relatively easy to retrieve the original method
> from the prior version.  Proper reversion is one reason for keeping
> around all the old versions of code.
>
> More importantly, however, I think we should take care to revert
> methods properly so that the original history and heritage of the
> object-model that is the latest and greatest Squeak image, be
> preserved as much as possible.
>
> I do it even with just my own code, even when I'm the same initials,
> because it is still worth it to me to know, _when_ was that method
> written.  How long has that method been sitting there, unchanged.
>
> Again, I think it's worth it, and I hope others will consider the
> value of adopting this practice as well.
>
> Thank you,
>   Chris

+1

I wonder if there is some reasonable change to the tools that could be
made to make this more natural and therefore require less forethought.
I share your goal but often forget.

Monticello could be made to ask and/or warn if one should automatically revert unchanged methods if the previous version is in the package cache.

Ken

Re: preserving heritage (was: filtered menu in 3.11)

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 08:38:01PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:

> More importantly, however, I think we should take care to revert
> methods properly so that the original history and heritage of the
> object-model that is the latest and greatest Squeak image, be
> preserved as much as possible.

+1

Re: preserving heritage (was: filtered menu in 3.11)

Chris Muller-3
Ohh, that sounds pretty good.

Until then, though, thankfully Monticello at least informs with the
comment, "source same but revision changed" in the "Patch Browser" (I
assume everyone reviews their changes like me before saving!  :)  ).
Those methods can be right-clicked, and then select "revert".  MC will
load the prior version with the old accounting info.

For reverting to methods prior to the last version:

  - note timestamp of the method to revert
  - from the Monticello browser,select the package the method is in,
and pressy History.
  - Find the version in the list dated just after the date of the method change.
  - Spawn history on that one.
  - Browse changes, select the method, revert.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Ken Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 20:38 -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
>> > Squeak has been such a great journey, and its own historical path is
>> > somewhat captured in the timestamp / author-stamp information of the
>> > individual methods.
>> >
>> > I think it is worthwhile to revert methods properly; meaning to truly
>> > revert them not just to the prior code, but to the prior accounting
>> > record associated with that.
>> >
>> > With Monticello, it is relatively easy to retrieve the original method
>> > from the prior version.  Proper reversion is one reason for keeping
>> > around all the old versions of code.
>> >
>> > More importantly, however, I think we should take care to revert
>> > methods properly so that the original history and heritage of the
>> > object-model that is the latest and greatest Squeak image, be
>> > preserved as much as possible.
>> >
>> > I do it even with just my own code, even when I'm the same initials,
>> > because it is still worth it to me to know, _when_ was that method
>> > written.  How long has that method been sitting there, unchanged.
>> >
>> > Again, I think it's worth it, and I hope others will consider the
>> > value of adopting this practice as well.
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >   Chris
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I wonder if there is some reasonable change to the tools that could be
>> made to make this more natural and therefore require less forethought.
>> I share your goal but often forget.
>
> Monticello could be made to ask and/or warn if one should automatically
> revert unchanged methods if the previous version is in the package cache.
>>
>> Ken

Re: preserving heritage (was: filtered menu in 3.11)

Nicolas Cellier
2010/2/5 Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:
> Ohh, that sounds pretty good.
>
> Until then, though, thankfully Monticello at least informs with the
> comment, "source same but revision changed" in the "Patch Browser" (I
> assume everyone reviews their changes like me before saving!  :)  ).
> Those methods can be right-clicked, and then select "revert".  MC will
> load the prior version with the old accounting info.

Doesn't a change of protocol triggers these  "source same but revision
changed" ?
Change of protocol perserve the author/timeStamp meta info.

Nicolas

> For reverting to methods prior to the last version:
>
>  - note timestamp of the method to revert
>  - from the Monticello browser,select the package the method is in,
> and pressy History.
>  - Find the version in the list dated just after the date of the method change.
>  - Spawn history on that one.
>  - Browse changes, select the method, revert.
>

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> I wonder if there is some reasonable change to the tools that could be
>>> made to make this more natural and therefore require less forethought.
>>> I share your goal but often forget.
>>
>> Monticello could be made to ask and/or warn if one should automatically
>> revert unchanged methods if the previous version is in the package cache.
>>>
>>> Ken

Re: preserving heritage (was: filtered menu in 3.11)

Chris Muller-3
I think those don't change the timestamp or author-stamp, but yes, you
would have to pay attention to revert only the ones that did not
change; either in code or in category.  For example, to remove a
temporary halt put in merely for debugging..

Regards,
  Chris