publishing files

stvcomplab
 I'm trying to use SQUEAK at my school. All the computers are networked thru a Novell server. I would like to control the location of the student files so that they go to the student's home directory on the server.
Any help would be appreciated.
Lou

Re: publishing files

Markus Schlager-2
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 [hidden email] wrote:

>   I'm trying to use SQUEAK at my school. All the computers are networked
>   thru a Novell server. I would like to control the location of the
>   student files so that they go to the student's home directory on the
>   server.

Hi Lou!

cf. http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3274

Markus

Re: publishing files

Michael Rueger-3
[hidden email] wrote:
>  I'm trying to use SQUEAK at my school. All the computers are networked
> thru a Novell server. I would like to control the location of the
> student files so that they go to the student's home directory on the server.
> Any help would be appreciated.

If you can send me some more information offline (not to the list) about
what your setup looks like, also including a few example paths for
children's home directories (e.g. f:\users\tim) I will work out
instructions on how to do this.
I will also, of course, send a summary to the list :-)

Michael

Re: publishing files

Randy Goldenberg
On Wednesday November 15, 2006, [hidden email] wrote:

>     I'm trying to use SQUEAK at my school. All the computers are networked
>    thru a Novell server. I would like to control the location of the student
>    files so that they go to the student's home directory on the server.
>    Any help would be appreciated.

I'm in a similar situation. I've found a way to save
projects to a networked drive, but it only works if you
run Squeak "standalone", by which I mean "not as a browser
plugin".

What works for me is going into the "Navigator" tab,
moving the mouse to the "Publish It!" button, and holding down
the left mouse button until a menu with more choices pops
up. Select "Publish to Different Server", and another menu
pops up, with all the network drives on it. To drill down
into a drive, click on the triangle to the left of its name.

HTH,

Randy

Re: publishing files

Michael Rueger-3
Randy Goldenberg wrote:
> On Wednesday November 15, 2006, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>     I'm trying to use SQUEAK at my school. All the computers are networked
>>    thru a Novell server. I would like to control the location of the student
>>    files so that they go to the student's home directory on the server.
>>    Any help would be appreciated.

Which reminds me that I still needed to follow-up with the list.
In the attached zip archive you can find a modified version of the
Squeak.ini file that resides in the Squeak installation folder (usually
C:\Program Files\Squeak\Plugin).

The addition entry

[security]
UserDirectory=%HomePath%

points Squeak to user the home directory of the user.
If you want to use a networked drive, you can also edit to to look like,
e.g.

[security]
UserDirectory=H:

Michael

Squeak.zip (398 bytes) Download Attachment