question dev/user

Paul Sheldon-2
I had a question on Americo's programmer/user instructions
on whether his version enabled opening two worlds
in one croquet image and then going from one world to the other
while my beta and nonbeta versions do not.

Now, no one answered on this list
(the guys who know are swamped with work).

So, I might try the other list
or to put it as it was by Joshua Gargus
I might want to try the other list
(to politely suggest as nonnegotiable wants,
where "might try the other list" might have darker interpretation
as to "judge me").

That doesn't mean I "should" try the other list, because "shoulds" confuse
things,
probably for the other dev list.

Bert Freudenberg :
"developers do not seem to communicate
on croquet-dev in an open manner"

I might wonder whether I could write to dev this list for any takers
on the question on embedded app
and ask that they write privately back to me
as part of the etiquette of the e mail.

In fact, I might not understand all the e mail I might get subscribing
to this list and, myself, "get swamped",
so I might like to post one thing to the list and use the etiquette,
so as to not waste list bandwidth.

> It might make sense to change these to reflect Bert's
> understanding. Or not, I don't care too much.

He could be interpreted as saying hard distinctions of appropriate
posts could hurt a list, but distractions of obscurities of etiquette
were not on his priorities of things he had time or strength to care about.

Great concerns of etiquet could exhaust, hurt,
and so involve privacy issues.

If nabble has an archive of the dev list, I could search that
and attempt to rebrief that here and actually be useful.

;-)

I better let this go, I'm getting exhausted.

;-)

Re: question dev/user

Joshua Gargus-2

On Jun 15, 2007, at 10:51 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> So, I might try the other list
> or to put it as it was by Joshua Gargus
> I might want to try the other list
> (to politely suggest as nonnegotiable wants,
> where "might try the other list" might have darker interpretation
> as to "judge me").

There was no intention to communicate nonnegotiability.

>> It might make sense to change these to reflect Bert's
>> understanding. Or not, I don't care too much.
>
> He could be interpreted as saying hard distinctions of appropriate
> posts could hurt a list, but distractions of obscurities of etiquette
> were not on his priorities of things he had time or strength to
> care about.

Only the latter.

Josh

Re: question dev/user

Erik Anderson-9
I'd love it if more people discussed problems of using croquet on this list, it would make it more obvious how many people are trying it out.  Otherwise this list is filled with personal ancedotes and math talk that I with my bachelor's degree have no clue what subject it is even talking about.

On 6/15/07, Joshua Gargus <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 15, 2007, at 10:51 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> So, I might try the other list
> or to put it as it was by Joshua Gargus
> I might want to try the other list
> (to politely suggest as nonnegotiable wants,
> where "might try the other list" might have darker interpretation
> as to "judge me").

There was no intention to communicate nonnegotiability.

>> It might make sense to change these to reflect Bert's
>> understanding. Or not, I don't care too much.
>
> He could be interpreted as saying hard distinctions of appropriate
> posts could hurt a list, but distractions of obscurities of etiquette
> were not on his priorities of things he had time or strength to
> care about.

Only the latter.

Josh

Re: question dev/user

Paul Sheldon-2
Erik Anderson :
"I'd love it if more people discussed problems of using croquet on this
list, it would
make it more obvious how many people are trying it out.  Otherwise this list
is filled
with personal ancedotes and math talk that I with my bachelor's degree have
no clue
what subject it is even talking about.
"

Around Easter time, the group at Minnesota were using croquet
to make an immersive Spanish language project
and gave a gift of avatars.

I imagined it was a project and not yet having people go
into a language immersive virtual world environment.
In other words, folks don't have to go to Spain
to force themselves to learn Spanish by immersion.
Rather they can get immersed by going, for free, to a virtual world.

A problem with distributed garbage collection (in replicated memory)
makes sampling broadcasts bad awhile after garbage has accumulated,
a bug.

So, two people have to agree to meet in a virtual space with chat
or e mail setting locations in what is called an xml postcard
available in tools menu on some of the worlds.

People have, then, privately communicated to each other for such VR visits,
but to broadcast a location for all to visit needs profound debugging.

Somebody wrote about distributed hash tables being a holy grail
and I got scared reading about DHT in wikipedia.
I let the big boys do that stuff and read on with Americo at :

http://opencroquet.org/index.php/Tutorials

It doesn't take a Ph.D. in theoretical physics (which I have)
to understand Americo .
One must merely read beyond his bad English he himself confesses to.

I've peeked at his Portuguese blog timidly.

So far, I see (if I got the embedded application going) remote collaboration
with writing squeak smalltalk code on a shared project table
for rapid prototyping of things like search engines documented in C5 in
2006.

Before I drag anybody to my project table,
I am going to learn how shared knowledge is shared in various class
browsers.
I have to do this with Americo examples.

I got lost and depressed in a movie, Croquet intro part 3 because
I didn't know what it meant to save.
But, then I found I could use an installer disk I invented to clean up
and reset experimental bad saves and moved on past the movie into Americo
which had big saves and little saves with bad English.

I found I could just copy image and changes in the beta and it was sort
of like starting afresh but with other saved files.

I could always obliterate any mess I made with my read only installer cd.

I was really shook when I saw my epiphany about Wonderland becoming
collaborative with Croquet because I was embarrassed that my seeing a work
table through a looking glass didn't mean a collaborator would.

Stearns said wierd stuff happens when you have your own croquet
with its own classes trying to replicate.

I feel safe doing my bold and dumb saves with the beta since it is not clear
that Americo's documentation is for the non-beta with his one croquet
VR world traversal. I perhaps, with ethnocentricity, assume he has an older
version,
but he may have a newer undocumented (in English) version,
since he is advanced at programming.

I should poke around his website to see that we are on the same page
as I study him.

I've installed on macs in apple store and at home and traveled from one
machine to another on wifi.

I'd like to see whether I could get a PC and mac visiting each other.
Last I tried, everybody there was trying their best to distract me
for some unknown reason and I didn't think I had to figure out how
to turn of the pc firewall or other hypotheses.

Hypotheses formation requires a quiet place.

When you inquire about uses of Croquet, you are speaking of uses
of collaborative smalltalk variant squeak.

Alan Kay funded Croquet to see how people could have fun working
together being scientists not merely belonging to academia
by admiring scientists.

I would imagine your sentiments could understand his motives!

The math talk you speak of is probably
1. on installer problems with graphics cards.
2. someone with stress on graduate level "trying to crow"
because his profs won't let him in school
(crow somewhere's else or wither and die in grad school).
Crows need friends, you see, or soon see themselves as illegitimate
attempting to impress professors
who countless students are trying to impress.

As a grad, I found two kind women to listen to me work up my bluster.
They were a hard catch.

I am currently petrified about undergraduate mathematics ported
into computer recipes, so, right now, I feel like, with a Ph.D.
I've lost my bachellors!

This too will pass.

;-)

To me, its amazing how little victories pick me up.

I got lost for a day with catenary until I hit on an old textbook
saying to use symmetry to set an initial condition
where the hanging chain was level
and now I'm in the soup again---up and down.

It could be a badly written chapter problem set or that I need to give
myself latent period for lateral thinking.

Looking for blessings, I have an excuse to long distance call and
clear up misunderstandings on other counts that might have arisen.

Maybe now you can understand both what motivates grad students,
yourself and Alan Kay.

I hope I've helped.