reading an writing of wav audio files

Herbert König
Hi,

has anyone extended Squeaks methods for reading and writing wav files so
they can handle 24 bit integer and 32 bit float audio samples?
I'm aware of AbstractSound's capabilities re wav files.

Thanks,

Herbert

Re: reading an writing of wav audio files

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Herbert

Did you check the Cuis and Pharo implementation? Is it the same?

Regards
--Hannes

On 2/28/13, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> has anyone extended Squeaks methods for reading and writing wav files so
> they can handle 24 bit integer and 32 bit float audio samples?
> I'm aware of AbstractSound's capabilities re wav files.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herbert

Re: reading an writing of wav audio files

Herbert König
Hi Hannes,

  I checked Cuis before asking as Juan is (has been??) into Audio. Only
16 Bit.

Pharo have stripped it.

Cheers,

Herbert
Am 04.03.2013 03:58, schrieb H. Hirzel:

> Hello Herbert
>
> Did you check the Cuis and Pharo implementation? Is it the same?
>
> Regards
> --Hannes
>
> On 2/28/13, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> has anyone extended Squeaks methods for reading and writing wav files so
>> they can handle 24 bit integer and 32 bit float audio samples?
>> I'm aware of AbstractSound's capabilities re wav files.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Herbert

Re: reading an writing of wav audio files

Hannes Hirzel
OK, Herbert

And what about http://www.krestianstvo.org/index_en.html or open
croquet for example?

krestianstvo  has a one-click image download (100MB) with everything
included to set up a virtual environment server.

There is a slight hope that maybe they have an updated WAV file format library?

And where is the WAV spec for 24bit integer and 32bit float samples?
It could be that it is not all that a big effort to add this to the
existing Squeak 4.5
Helpful as well is to identify open source implementations in other languages.

--Hannes

On 3/4/13, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hannes,
>
>   I checked Cuis before asking as Juan is (has been??) into Audio. Only
> 16 Bit.
>
> Pharo have stripped it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Herbert
> Am 04.03.2013 03:58, schrieb H. Hirzel:
>> Hello Herbert
>>
>> Did you check the Cuis and Pharo implementation? Is it the same?
>>
>> Regards
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 2/28/13, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> has anyone extended Squeaks methods for reading and writing wav files so
>>> they can handle 24 bit integer and 32 bit float audio samples?
>>> I'm aware of AbstractSound's capabilities re wav files.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Herbert

Re: reading an writing of wav audio files

Nikolay Suslov
Hello,

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, Herbert

And what about http://www.krestianstvo.org/index_en.html or open
croquet for example?

krestianstvo  has a one-click image download (100MB) with everything
included to set up a virtual environment server.

There is a slight hope that maybe they have an updated WAV file format library?

The latest Krestianstvo is based on the OpenQwaq (Squeak 4.1 derived) image, and does not introduce any new low-level audio library yet. But, as it is OpenQwaq/Croquet based, it has OpenAL support by default, where you could find a lot of low-level stuff that work with audio. So, you could try any of Croquet family images for OpenAL coding.
Another audio library to try is a QuickTime library from OpenSophie project (existed Squeak repository http://www.squeaksource.com/SophieGoldDig.html). The official project site seems to be down, where the developer image was available for a long time.

Regards,
Nikolay