really annoying double monitor behavior. How to fix?

really annoying double monitor behavior. How to fix?

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Mac experts,

    I have a large secondary monitor attached to my MacBook Pro laptop.  I typically run and save an image on the large monitor.  However, when restarting the image, the VM *always* launches the image on the primary laptop monitor even though the image's display size is larger than it (so it always gets clipped) and the secondary monitor is avoidable.  How can we fix this such that wen the image's saved display settings are larger than the primary display and a sufficiently large secondary monitor is available we launch on that second monitor?
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: really annoying double monitor behavior. How to fix?

Ralph Boland

>    I have a large secondary monitor attached to my MacBook Pro laptop.  I
> typically run and save an image on the large monitor.  However, when
> restarting the image, the VM *always* launches the image on the primary
> laptop monitor even though the image's display size is larger than it (so
> it always gets clipped) and the secondary monitor is avoidable.  How can we
> fix this such that wen the image's saved display settings are larger than
> the primary display and a sufficiently large secondary monitor is
> available we launch on that second monitor?
>
> best, Eliot

If this is going to be fixed I have a related complaint.
I run squeak on a two monitor set up and when I shut her down
and then start again  Squeak comes up on one screen only and
I need to expand it to two screens again.

If two (or more) monitors were in use when Squeak is saved before
shutting Squeak down and those same monitors (or other monitors of the
same sizes)
are available on Squeak Start-up then all the monitors should be used.

Similarly on first start up why not use all available monitors?

Ralph Boland

Re: really annoying double monitor behavior. How to fix?

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Ralph,

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

> On Jan 17, 2020, at 5:28 PM, Ralph Boland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>   I have a large secondary monitor attached to my MacBook Pro laptop.  I
>> typically run and save an image on the large monitor.  However, when
>> restarting the image, the VM *always* launches the image on the primary
>> laptop monitor even though the image's display size is larger than it (so
>> it always gets clipped) and the secondary monitor is avoidable.  How can we
>> fix this such that wen the image's saved display settings are larger than
>> the primary display and a sufficiently large secondary monitor is
>> available we launch on that second monitor?
>>
>> best, Eliot
>
> If this is going to be fixed I have a related complaint.

It has already been fixed by John McIntosh (thanks John!).  See commit

acdbd34e6c25c7ff1b5f47cb6b3ce91de49cb36a

 which is in response to John’s pull request.

 Changed paths:
   M platforms/iOS/vm/Common/Classes/sqSqueakAppDelegate.h
   M platforms/iOS/vm/Common/Classes/sqSqueakAppDelegate.m
   M platforms/iOS/vm/OSX/SqueakOSXAppDelegate.m

> I run squeak on a two monitor set up and when I shut her down
> and then start again  Squeak comes up on one screen only and
> I need to expand it to two screens again.

Ralph, do you have the energy and chops to take a look at the changes John made and adapt them to also check for adjacent monitors large enough?  I’m guessing that the check John added could easily be extended to see if there is an arrangement of monitors that is large enough when the main display is too big to fit on any single monitor.

> If two (or more) monitors were in use when Squeak is saved before
> shutting Squeak down and those same monitors (or other monitors of the
> same sizes)
> are available on Squeak Start-up then all the monitors should be used.
>
> Similarly on first start up why not use all available monitors?
>
> Ralph Boland

Re: really annoying double monitor behavior. How to fix?

johnmci

Hi it’s a bit more complicated as the meta data saved is only the screen height and width, not position, and of could you could save on Mac and open on windows or Linux. I could look at seeing if it’s possible to reopen spanning the two screens.

However saving the origin for this would be helpful, any proposal where and how?

John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 17:28, Ralph Boland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a large secondary monitor attached to my MacBook Pro laptop. I
> typically run and save an image on the large monitor. However, when
> restarting the image, the VM *always* launches the image on the primary
> laptop monitor even though the image's display size is larger than it (so
> it always gets clipped) and the secondary monitor is avoidable. How can we
> fix this such that wen the image's saved display settings are larger than
> the primary display and a sufficiently large secondary monitor is
> available we launch on that second monitor?
>
> best, Eliot

If this is going to be fixed I have a related complaint.
I run squeak on a two monitor set up and when I shut her down
and then start again Squeak comes up on one screen only and
I need to expand it to two screens again.

If two (or more) monitors were in use when Squeak is saved before
shutting Squeak down and those same monitors (or other monitors of the
same sizes)
are available on Squeak Start-up then all the monitors should be used.

Similarly on first start up why not use all available monitors?

Ralph Boland

Re: really annoying double monitor behavior. How to fix?

timrowledge

> On 2020-01-17, at 9:19 PM, John M McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi it’s a bit more complicated as the meta data saved is only the screen height and width, not position, and of could you could save on Mac and open on windows or Linux. I could look at seeing if it’s possible to reopen spanning the two screens.

The image header window size hack really ought to be deprecated and left behind. It never was much good; aside from anything else it is part of the 'assume there is always a window' world.

We can (at least, should be able to) get the window metrics via the HostWindowProxy classes. It is, after all, exactly what John & I wrote the stuff for in 2004. It seems like one should simply read the window position & size when snapshotting and use that to open the window(s) on startup.

tim
Never forget: 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.