record: not working

Damien Pollet
in a fresh 1.4 image:

(ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project latestVersion record:
#'AST-Core') loadDirectives

gives:

--- The full stack ---
MetacelloNullRecordingMCSpecLoader(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #loadDirectives
UndefinedObject>>DoIt

Damien Pollet

Re: record: not working

Damien Pollet
another aspect of the same puzzle:

((ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project version: '1.9') load: 'AST-Core')

gives:

You are about to load new versions of the following packages that have
unsaved changes in the image.  If you continue, you will lose these
changes.

  Refactoring-Tests-Core

while there is only a spec package: 'AST-Core' with no requires

Damien Pollet

Re: record: not working

Lukas Renggli
Pharo 1.4 already contains the refactoring browser, I guess you
shouldn't try to load a different one.

Lukas

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: record: not working

Dale Henrichs
This works in Pharo 1.3 so 1.4 must have changed behavior somehow ...

Dale

| (ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project latestVersion record:
| #'AST-Core') loadDirectives
|
| gives:
|
| --- The full stack ---
| MetacelloNullRecordingMCSpecLoader(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
| #loadDirectives
| UndefinedObject>>DoIt
|
| --
| Damien Pollet
| type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Re: record: not working

Dale Henrichs
Damien,

When you ask Metacello to load a version and you already have a version of that project loaded, it will attempt to upgrade the project (even if you ask for only one of the packages as you have done).

If you want the AST-Core package that is compatible with the version you have loaded in the image, then you should use:

  ((ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project currentVersion) load:
  'AST-Core')

The assumption that Metacello makes is that if you want a 'AST-Core' from version 1.9 of RefactoringBrowser then the packages that are already loaded must match version 1.9 as well ...

Finally, presumably the package that was being complained about was previously dirty ...

Dale
| ((ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project version: '1.9') load:
| 'AST-Core')
|
| gives:
|
| You are about to load new versions of the following packages that
| have
| unsaved changes in the image.  If you continue, you will lose these
| changes.
|
|   Refactoring-Tests-Core
|
| while there is only a spec package: 'AST-Core' with no requires
|
| --
| Damien Pollet
| type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Re: record: not working

stephane ducasse-2
Dale,

The problem was that we were puzzled that
if we ask a package already in the image (AST-core), why other packages (like Refactoring-Test-Core that should not be related to AST core) are loaded.
I can get the explanation you give for a package and its constraints but why there is a ripple effect on non required packages?

Stef

On Oct 5, 2011, at 6:45 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Damien,
>
> When you ask Metacello to load a version and you already have a version of that project loaded, it will attempt to upgrade the project (even if you ask for only one of the packages as you have done).
>
> If you want the AST-Core package that is compatible with the version you have loaded in the image, then you should use:
>
>  ((ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project currentVersion) load:
>  'AST-Core')
>
> The assumption that Metacello makes is that if you want a 'AST-Core' from version 1.9 of RefactoringBrowser then the packages that are already loaded must match version 1.9 as well ...
>
> Finally, presumably the package that was being complained about was previously dirty ...
>
> Dale

Yes but we were puzzled by the behavior of metacello so I wanted to discuss that with dale.
(see the other mail).

Stef

On Oct 5, 2011, at 6:29 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Pharo 1.4 already contains the refactoring browser, I guess you
> shouldn't try to load a different one.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 5 October 2011 18:24, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> another aspect of the same puzzle:
>>
>> ((ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project version: '1.9') load: 'AST-Core')
>>
>> gives:
>>
>> You are about to load new versions of the following packages that have
>> unsaved changes in the image.  If you continue, you will lose these
>> changes.
>>
>>  Refactoring-Tests-Core
>>
>> while there is only a spec package: 'AST-Core' with no requires
>>
>> --
>> Damien Pollet
>> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet
>>

> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: record: not working

Dale Henrichs
To answer that question I guess I'd like to see the Transcript output (or printString of the load result). It's either a bug or "non-obvious" dependendency ... If I look at the loadDirective printString and the configuration I should be able to tell what's happening ...

I've not found the time to download a 1.4 image (yet) to give it a try myself:(...Maybe I'll find the time shortly ...

Dale

| The problem was that we were puzzled that
| if we ask a package already in the image (AST-core), why other
| packages (like Refactoring-Test-Core that should not be related to
| AST core) are loaded.
| I can get the explanation you give for a package and its constraints
| but why there is a ripple effect on non required packages?
|
| Stef
|

| On Oct 5, 2011, at 6:45 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
|
| > Damien,
| >
| > When you ask Metacello to load a version and you already have a
| > version of that project loaded, it will attempt to upgrade the
| > project (even if you ask for only one of the packages as you have
| > done).
| >
| > If you want the AST-Core package that is compatible with the
| > version you have loaded in the image, then you should use:
| >
| >  ((ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project currentVersion) load:
| >  'AST-Core')
| >
| > The assumption that Metacello makes is that if you want a
| > 'AST-Core' from version 1.9 of RefactoringBrowser then the
| > packages that are already loaded must match version 1.9 as well
| >
| > Finally, presumably the package that was being complained about was
| > previously dirty ...
| >
| > Dale
| > |
| > | another aspect of the same puzzle:
| > |
| > | ((ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project version: '1.9') load:
| > | 'AST-Core')
| > |
| > | gives:
| > |
| > | You are about to load new versions of the following packages that
| > | have
| > | unsaved changes in the image.  If you continue, you will lose
| > | these
| > | changes.
| > |
| > |   Refactoring-Tests-Core
| > |
| > | while there is only a spec package: 'AST-Core' with no requires
| > |
| > | --
| > | Damien Pollet
| > | type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet
| > |

Re: record: not working

Dale Henrichs
Well it took me awhile ... had to look at the stack before I saw it ...

The message that you should be using is #loadDirective (no 's' on the end)...

I'll now take a look at the other issues ...

Dale

| (ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project latestVersion record:
| #'AST-Core') loadDirectives
|
| gives:
|
| --- The full stack ---
| MetacelloNullRecordingMCSpecLoader(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
| #loadDirectives
| UndefinedObject>>DoIt
|
| --
| Damien Pollet
| type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Re: record: not working

Dale Henrichs
Damien,

So the currentVersion of RefactoringBrowser in a fresh Pharo1.4 is 1.7.1, which explains why fireworks start going off when you ask for version 1.9 to be loaded ... an attempt is made to upgrade RefactoringBrowser to 1.9 from 1.7.1 which leads to all of the packages being loaded ...

I've tried the #currentVersion and hit a walkback, but I've got to run right now ... I'll continue with this later tonight.

Dale

| ((ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project version: '1.9') load:
| 'AST-Core')
|
| gives:
|
| You are about to load new versions of the following packages that
| have
| unsaved changes in the image.  If you continue, you will lose these
| changes.
|
|   Refactoring-Tests-Core
|
| while there is only a spec package: 'AST-Core' with no requires
|
| --
| Damien Pollet
| type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Re: record: not working

Dale Henrichs
The fundamental problem with Pharo1.4 and Refactoring Browser is that the packages that there is no version in the configuration itself that matches the packages that are loaded in the image.

For example:

  AST-Core-StephaneDucasse.90 is loaded in Pharo1.4, but version 1.9 (the latest version in the configuration) calls for AST-Core-lr.89, so no matter which version you attempt to load, you'll end up loading something that is not correct and very likely wrong for Pharo1.4

In the end the configuration needs to be updated for Pharo1.4

So I think that's it...

Dale

| So the currentVersion of RefactoringBrowser in a fresh Pharo1.4 is
| 1.7.1, which explains why fireworks start going off when you ask for
| version 1.9 to be loaded ... an attempt is made to upgrade
| RefactoringBrowser to 1.9 from 1.7.1 which leads to all of the
| packages being loaded ...
|
| I've tried the #currentVersion and hit a walkback, but I've got to
| run right now ... I'll continue with this later tonight.
|
| Dale

| |
| | another aspect of the same puzzle:
| |
| | ((ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project version: '1.9') load:
| | 'AST-Core')
| |
| | gives:
| |
| | You are about to load new versions of the following packages that
| | have
| | unsaved changes in the image.  If you continue, you will lose these
| | changes.
| |
| |   Refactoring-Tests-Core
| |
| | while there is only a spec package: 'AST-Core' with no requires
| |
| | --
| | Damien Pollet
| | type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet
| |

Re: record: not working

stephane ducasse-2
I thought that damien sent another mail
but

> (((ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project version: '1.9') record:  'AST-Core')) loadDirectives

barked. So we could not get debug info

Stef

On Oct 5, 2011, at 9:39 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> To answer that question I guess I'd like to see the Transcript output (or printString of the load result). It's either a bug or "non-obvious" dependendency ... If I look at the loadDirective printString and the configuration I should be able to tell what's happening ...
>
> I've not found the time to download a 1.4 image (yet) to give it a try myself:(...Maybe I'll find the time shortly ...
>
> Dale

Re: record: not working

stephane ducasse-2

On Oct 6, 2011, at 12:21 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Damien,
>
> So the currentVersion of RefactoringBrowser in a fresh Pharo1.4 is 1.7.1, which explains why fireworks start going off when you ask for version 1.9 to be loaded ... an attempt is made to upgrade RefactoringBrowser to 1.9 from 1.7.1 which leads to all of the packages being loaded ...

ok is the solution to load the latest packages in Pharo1.4?

Ideally we should manage the image with metacello but right now we do not have the energy for that.

> I've tried the #currentVersion and hit a walkback, but I've got to run right now ... I'll continue with this later tonight.
>
> Dale

The underlying question is the following:

Of course we could have remove the expression that tried to load AST-Core since it was in the image.
But Damien wanted to keep this information for documentation and verification.

So the question is
        what is the process that we should follow during the period of time where we will not maintain the image with metacello
        and still want to help people doing the same than damien?

Stef (in RB configuration I removed the dependencies for example)

On Oct 6, 2011, at 1:50 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> The fundamental problem with Pharo1.4 and Refactoring Browser is that the packages that there is no version in the configuration itself that matches the packages that are loaded in the image.
>
> For example:
>
>  AST-Core-StephaneDucasse.90 is loaded in Pharo1.4, but version 1.9 (the latest version in the configuration) calls for AST-Core-lr.89, so no matter which version you attempt to load, you'll end up loading something that is not correct and very likely wrong for Pharo1.4
>
> In the end the configuration needs to be updated for Pharo1.4
>
> So I think that's it...
>
> Dale

Re: record: not working

Dale Henrichs
Stef,

I think this is a case where editing the config is the only solution. If you are planning on including in the base a set of project that used to be optional, changing the configuration(s) that depend upon that project to no longer require those packages for Pharo1.4 only (as I assume you have done) is the right answer ... A project that is to be loaded into Pharo1.4 no longer needs to specify which version of a particular project once that project is included in the base ...

Dale

| The underlying question is the following:
|
| Of course we could have remove the expression that tried to load
| AST-Core since it was in the image.
| But Damien wanted to keep this information for documentation and
| verification.
|
| So the question is
| what is the process that we should follow during the period of time
| where we will not maintain the image with metacello
| and still want to help people doing the same than damien?
|
| Stef (in RB configuration I removed the dependencies for example)
|

| On Oct 6, 2011, at 1:50 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
|
| > The fundamental problem with Pharo1.4 and Refactoring Browser is
| > that the packages that there is no version in the configuration
| > itself that matches the packages that are loaded in the image.
| >
| > For example:
| >
| >  AST-Core-StephaneDucasse.90 is loaded in Pharo1.4, but version 1.9
| >  (the latest version in the configuration) calls for
| >  AST-Core-lr.89, so no matter which version you attempt to load,
| >  you'll end up loading something that is not correct and very
| >  likely wrong for Pharo1.4
| >
| > In the end the configuration needs to be updated for Pharo1.4
| >
| > So I think that's it...
| >
| > Dale

| > |
| > | So the currentVersion of RefactoringBrowser in a fresh Pharo1.4
| > | is
| > | 1.7.1, which explains why fireworks start going off when you ask
| > | for
| > | version 1.9 to be loaded ... an attempt is made to upgrade
| > | RefactoringBrowser to 1.9 from 1.7.1 which leads to all of the
| > | packages being loaded ...
| > |
| > | I've tried the #currentVersion and hit a walkback, but I've got
| > | run right now ... I'll continue with this later tonight.
| > |
| > | Dale
| > |
| > | |