recover a deleted image??

Stan Shepherd
Hi, in tidying up before installing Ubuntu Jaunty, I've misplaced a Squeak image and changes file that I would really have preferred to keep. Does anyone have any experience of 'undeleting' an image file under Linux? There seem to be utilities that will get back more common file types, or which can accept a specific 'recipe' to look for a user defined file type. If anyone has done this I'd be very grateful.

It's not anything terribly important, but there were quite a few hours of work in it.

Thanks for any suggestions,    ...Stan

Re: recover a deleted image??

Herbert König
Stan,

ss> Thanks for any suggestions,    ...Stan

I have no knowledge of linux but the changes file is plain ASCII with
CR line endings. Recovering this might be easier with your tools.

Then start another Squeak and from there open your recovered changes
file with a file list which offers to recover changes via "recent
changes", "browse as fat back as".

This might prove easier than recovering image and changes files.

Herbert

Re[2]: recover a deleted image??

Herbert König
oops,

HK>  "browse as fat back as".

"as far back" that is

Herbert

Re: recover a deleted image??

Stan Shepherd
thanks Herbert,

Yes, it would probably be much easier to recover the change file- I'll look into that.

...Stan

Herbert König wrote
Stan,

ss> Thanks for any suggestions,    ...Stan

I have no knowledge of linux but the changes file is plain ASCII with
CR line endings. Recovering this might be easier with your tools.

Then start another Squeak and from there open your recovered changes
file with a file list which offers to recover changes via "recent
changes", "browse as fat back as".

This might prove easier than recovering image and changes files.

Herbert

Re: recover a deleted image??

Stan Shepherd
I got some structures back by following this thread:

But no luck with the files. I could probably do something with sleuthkit and autopsy, but I've wasted enough time as it is. So here goes with nuking the partitions, and a lesson learned about backups for next time.

stan shepherd wrote