remove a method

pascal.vollmer
Hi,

I use Squeak 3.9#7067 and in one of my classes I would like to remove a method. In the last days I loaded several EToy-projects into my image.

Now, removal does not succeed and instead I get a

MessageNotUnderstood: SmallInteger>>pragmas.

Looking at the trace I understand that there is a sequence of actions to determine usage of the method to remove in other classes. This sequence stops at the class "Player78" which is in the category "UserObjects".
The check for "Player78" ends up in

CompiledMethod>>pragmas

which returns ^self properties pragmas and leads to the MessageNotUnderstood.

What is the right thing to do ? What is happening exactly ?

Regards
Pascal Vollmer

Pascal Vollmer
Email: [hidden email]

Viel oder wenig? Schnell oder langsam? Unbegrenzt surfen + telefonieren
ohne Zeit- und Volumenbegrenzung? DAS TOP ANGEBOT JETZT bei Arcor: günstig
und schnell mit DSL - das All-Inclusive-Paket für clevere Doppel-Sparer,
nur  39,85 €  inkl. DSL- und ISDN-Grundgebühr!
http://www.arcor.de/rd/emf-dsl-2

Re: remove a method

Lukas Renggli
> I use Squeak 3.9#7067 and in one of my classes I would like to remove a method. In the last days I loaded several EToy-projects into my image.

I don't think eToys works in 3.9 because nobody cared to maintain it.

> What is the right thing to do ?

Try to evaluate the following expression:

    Player allSubclasses do: [ :each | each compileAll ]

> What is happening exactly ?

It looks like your compiled method is coming from an old Squeak image.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Aw: Re: remove a method

pascal.vollmer
 Hi,
thanks a lot. I removed the EToy-stuff and everything is ok now.
May I ask a non-technical question: I give Squeak-lessons for 12-15 years old children for 6 months now. At a certain stage I found it very helpful to be able to switch forth and back from EToys to Squeak. EToys for rapid prototypes and fun, Squeak for elaborated solutions. Is there a plan to re-integrate EToys to the successor Squeak 3.10 ?
Kind regards
Pascal Vollmer

> > I use Squeak 3.9#7067 and in one of my classes I would like to remove a
> method. In the last days I loaded several EToy-projects into my image.
>
> I don't think eToys works in 3.9 because nobody cared to maintain it.
>
> > What is the right thing to do ?
>
> Try to evaluate the following expression:
>
>     Player allSubclasses do: [ :each | each compileAll ]
>
> > What is happening exactly ?
>
> It looks like your compiled method is coming from an old Squeak image.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Pascal Vollmer
Email: [hidden email]

Viel oder wenig? Schnell oder langsam? Unbegrenzt surfen + telefonieren
ohne Zeit- und Volumenbegrenzung? DAS TOP ANGEBOT JETZT bei Arcor: günstig
und schnell mit DSL - das All-Inclusive-Paket für clevere Doppel-Sparer,
nur  39,85 €  inkl. DSL- und ISDN-Grundgebühr!
http://www.arcor.de/rd/emf-dsl-2

Re: Aw: Re: remove a method

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 3/19/07 7:06 PM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
escribió:

>  Hi,
> thanks a lot. I removed the EToy-stuff and everything is ok now.
> May I ask a non-technical question: I give Squeak-lessons for 12-15 years old
> children for 6 months now. At a certain stage I found it very helpful to be
> able to switch forth and back from EToys to Squeak. EToys for rapid prototypes
> and fun, Squeak for elaborated solutions. Is there a plan to re-integrate
> EToys to the successor Squeak 3.10 ?
> Kind regards
> Pascal Vollmer
3.10 at this time have Etoys.
But my plans is have the unload/load ready before the end of release.
By the way, the Etoys development is on OLPC image what is 3.8 based.
But for 12-15 years tons of simple games could be made with Morphs.
And simple simulations.
You could email direct for I could help or give the girls and boys the
chance of far , far away collaboration.

Edgar