repositories / overrides

12

repositories / overrides

otto
Hi,

I'm trying to get metacello to load packages from local repositories. I have various directory and filetree repositories. I have a BaselineOfWonkaRuntime class (a subclass of BaselineOf), with the following:

baseline: spec
<baseline>
spec
package: 'Sport';
configuration: 'XMLSupport' with: [ spec loads: #('Core') ];
configuration: 'SoapOpera' with: [ spec loads: #('Client') ];
baseline: 'Seaside30'
with: [
spec
repository: self class localThirdPartySeasideRepository;
loads: #('Base' 'Scriptaculous-Components' 'JQuery-UI') ];
project: 'SeasideDevelopment' copyFrom: 'Seaside30' with: [ spec loads: #('Seaside-Development') ];
configuration: 'Magritte3 Base' with: [ spec loads: #('Magritte-Seaside' 'Deprecated') ];

etc.

I would like to load for example Sport, XMLSupport and SoapOpera from my local 3rd party directory Seaside30 from a cloned filetree repository, etc.

I don't want any of the configurations / baselines I depend upon to go over the internet and fetch packages because I want them loaded from my local machine.

I would like the dependencies specified of for example the Magritte3 configuration to load its packages and configs from a local repository.

Do I have to specify repository: in each configuration, baseline or package? Or should I be using overrideRepositories: with a list of all the repositories I need?

I am out of ideas. I try using the different repository: repositories: overrideRepositories: methods in different places, but battle to get my stuff loaded.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks
Otto

Re: repositories / overrides

Dale Henrichs-3
Otto,

This is where you need my sample project ... override repositories is not going to be used and you shouldn't have to modify any exsiting configurations ...  My current sample project does not use a configuration and I think that a configuration (or two) is needed to make the sample complete, but I am bearing down a bit on the internal gemstone work as I am getting close to the deadline ...

So if you could hold off until I can get the sample completed, you'll be able to see how I think that the projects can be loaded and then work out any differences between how I think they should be handled and what you are running into in the wild ...

Dale

Re: repositories / overrides

Johan Brichau-3
Dale,

Just to understand your reply: does repositoryOverrides only work for monticello repositories?

Johan

On 21 Nov 2013, at 18:04, Otto Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Dale, will be interesting. In the meantime, I'm trying to get it going with what I've got.
>
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Dale K. Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Otto,
>
> This is where you need my sample project ... override repositories is not going to be used and you shouldn't have to modify any exsiting configurations ...  My current sample project does not use a configuration and I think that a configuration (or two) is needed to make the sample complete, but I am bearing down a bit on the internal gemstone work as I am getting close to the deadline ...
>
> So if you could hold off until I can get the sample completed, you'll be able to see how I think that the projects can be loaded and then work out any differences between how I think they should be handled and what you are running into in the wild ...
>
> Dale

Re: repositories / overrides

Dale Henrichs-3
Sorry about that ...  repository overrides works, but the technique of using project locks should make it unnecessary to use repository overrides ...

Moving forward I don't think that repository overrides (making a giant repository where all of your packages for all external projects) is the right answer ... Otto ranted about having to manage the repository overrides, so I would like to show him how to "do it the right way" ...

I also think that there are other issues that Otto is running into that aren't necessarily related to repository overrides, but given the limited amount of time I have right now, I would rather invest in getting Otto moved to using  project locks than solve his current problems doing things the way he is doing it now, then follow that on with moving to using repository locks, where we are likely to cover the same ground doing things a different way ...

I assume that the fundamental issue that Otto is having is that we are mixing configurations for GLASS and baselines for GLASS1 and I think that to untangle that particular problem with or without project locks will require changing some configuration/baselines ... if we change the configurations/baselines to support project locking then those edits will be meaningful going forward ... if we make the edits with an eye towards hacking our way around the immediate problems ... those edits won't be compatible with anything going forward and will ahve to managed privately ... and avoiding that mess is precisely why I invented project locks ...

Dale

| Just to understand your reply: does repositoryOverrides only work for
| monticello repositories?
|
| Johan
|
| On 21 Nov 2013, at 18:04, Otto Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:
|
| > Thanks Dale, will be interesting. In the meantime, I'm trying to
| > get it going with what I've got.
| >
| > On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Dale K. Henrichs
| > <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > Otto,
| >
| > This is where you need my sample project ... override repositories
| > is not going to be used and you shouldn't have to modify any
| > exsiting configurations ...  My current sample project does not
| > use a configuration and I think that a configuration (or two) is
| > needed to make the sample complete, but I am bearing down a bit on
| > the internal gemstone work as I am getting close to the deadline
| >
| > So if you could hold off until I can get the sample completed,
| > you'll be able to see how I think that the projects can be loaded
| > and then work out any differences between how I think they should
| > be handled and what you are running into in the wild ...
| >
| > Dale

Re: repositories / overrides

Dale Henrichs-3
An alternate answer to your question is that repository overrides are not compatible with git-based packages ... storing packages into a git repository means that you only have one version of the package "visible" at any time ... the repository override technique relies upon the fact that a single repository holds many versions of the same package which reuquires that you use a monticello directory or http repository ...

Dale

| Just to understand your reply: does repositoryOverrides only work for
| monticello repositories?
|
| Johan
|
| On 21 Nov 2013, at 18:04, Otto Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:
|
| > Thanks Dale, will be interesting. In the meantime, I'm trying to
| > get it going with what I've got.
| >
| > On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Dale K. Henrichs
| > <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > Otto,
| >
| > This is where you need my sample project ... override repositories
| > is not going to be used and you shouldn't have to modify any
| > exsiting configurations ...  My current sample project does not
| > use a configuration and I think that a configuration (or two) is
| > needed to make the sample complete, but I am bearing down a bit on
| > the internal gemstone work as I am getting close to the deadline
| >
| > So if you could hold off until I can get the sample completed,
| > you'll be able to see how I think that the projects can be loaded
| > and then work out any differences between how I think they should
| > be handled and what you are running into in the wild ...
| >
| > Dale

Re: repositories / overrides

Dale Henrichs-3
Otto,

I should be able to find time over the weekend to finish up the sample project ... hopefully it will be in the neighborhood of what you are looking for ...

Dale

Re: repositories / overrides

Dale Henrichs-3
Otto,

Well, I've got the Example project defined and I've got a real good start documenting my thought on using the `lock` command[1]. Unfortunately, I've run out of time for completing the writeup and won't have too much time in the next couple of days to finish it.

I've pretty much tested the scripts in the writeup and I figure that there is enough information for you to get a pretty good idea of what I am thinking. Soo, I'd really appreciate it if you took a critical look at what I am proposing and let me know if it the ideas can be applied to your situation or not. If not, I'd like to make tweaks to the implementation to fit your needs ...

I did have to fix some bugs and add a new feature or two[2], so if you want to run the scripts, you should load the issue_215 branch of Metacello to pick up the new features and bugfixes:

  Metacello new
    baseline: 'MetacelloPreview';
    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:issue_215/repository';
    load.

BTW, I forked the issue_215 branch before you made your recent changes (another casualty or my lack of time), but that shouldn't affect the functionality.

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/issue_215/docs/LockCommandReference.md
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/issues?direction=desc&milestone=17&sort=updated&state=open

Re: repositories / overrides

otto
Thanks, Dale.

> I've pretty much tested the scripts in the writeup and I figure that there is enough information for you to get a pretty good idea of what I am thinking. Soo, I'd really appreciate it if you took a critical look at what I am proposing and let me know if it the ideas can be applied to your situation or not. If not, I'd like to make tweaks to the implementation to fit your needs ...

Some ideas:

1. from [1]: "When you lock a baseline-based project: you are telling Metacello to always load the baseline from the given repository and, given the way that baseline-based projects work, to always load the packages referenced by the baseline specification from the given repository."

Yes, agree.

2. from [1]: "When you lock a configuration-based project: you are telling Metacello to always use the given version and to always load the configuration from the given repository"

This to me is semantically different. In 1, I load whatever version I've got checked out. in 2, I only load a specific version. To me, this does not make sense.

I would like the behaviour of 1, always. I don't care what was loaded previously, where it came from or that it is in the registry. I actually want a "Metacello new removeTheRegistry" function. I just want to load what is in the repository that I specify. In the order of dependency specified in the baseline. If I load a new ConfigurationOfGrease or whatever, that defines a new stable that I want to load, I just want it to load that.

3. I'm concerned about the propagation of the lock. If the repository contains various BaselineOf<Project>s, are they also locked? If I lock BaselineOfSeaside30, what happens to ConfigurationOfGrease, currently specified as versionString: '1.0.7.2'.

4. I want to get all my stuff from local repositories. If I load BaselineOfSeaside30, how do I say that Zinc must be loaded from a locally cloned repo? I've now changed our project configurations over to baselines. This is what I've done:
baseline: spec
<baseline>
spec
for: #common
do: [
spec
baseline: 'Seaside30'
with: [
spec
repository: self class localThirdPartySeasideRepository;
loads: #('Base' 'Scriptaculous-Components' 'JQuery-UI') ]];
for: #gemstone
do: [
spec
baseline: 'Zinc' with: [ spec repository: self class localThirdPartyZincRepository ]]

I would like to do this in principle with all the configurations / baselines and I want to be sure that it honors that I've overridden its repository and that it does not hunt for packages / configs elsewhere.

> I did have to fix some bugs and add a new feature or two[2], so if you want to run the scripts, you should load the issue_215 branch of Metacello to pick up the new features and bugfixes:
>
>   Metacello new
>     baseline: 'MetacelloPreview';
>     repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:issue_215/repository';
>     load.
>
> BTW, I forked the issue_215 branch before you made your recent changes (another casualty or my lack of time), but that shouldn't affect the functionality.

I see that issue_215 breaks some tests. Don't think it affects the versions we're using. Will try. I've created another pull request. When those tests pass, I'll comment. Not sure if it is all useful.

I got it all loaded eventually with repositoryOverrides:, after unsuccessfully trying locks.

Re: repositories / overrides

otto
Does this all apply to upgrading a seaside.extent0.dbf? Or should I start with extent0.dbf?

If I have an existing db, how to I bootstrap Metacello?

www.FinWorks.biz
+27 82 809 2375

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Dale K. Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the quick response ... your feedback is much appreciated ...

Re: repositories / overrides

Dale Henrichs-3
starting with an extent0.seaside.dbf, here's the whole recommended install sequence as a topaz script:

!
! Upgrade to GLASS 1.0-beta.9.1
!
run
ConfigurationOfGLASS project updateProject.
GsDeployer deploy: [ (ConfigurationOfGLASS project version: '1.0-beta.9.1') load ].
%

commit
errorCount

!
! Install most recent Metacello
!
run
[
Metacello new
  baseline: 'Metacello';
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:issue_215/repository';
  load.
  ] on: Warning
    do: [:ex |
      Transcript cr; show: ex description.
      ex resume].
%
commit
errorCount

Re: repositories / overrides

otto
> In your case it sounds to me that you want to consistently #disallow any and all upgrades and downgrades to Grease (except when you explicitly load a different version) and this is completely supported by the Metacello Scripting API ...

No, not really. I want to use the same command to load our project. It
must pick up from disk that there's another version of Grease that I
want to deploy (i.e. the ConfigurationOfGrease package changed the
default / core version). And then it must load the new package
versions.

> Soooo, the fact that you want to "Metacello new removeTheRegistry" means that I haven't done a good enough job of communicating this information to you or you have run into bugs ...
>
> The Metacello Scripting API is intended to support exactly the behavior you are asking for so we need to work out specifically where it is failing your...

Thanks for the patience, I really battle to understand why I need
this. I have the code in the DB, on the classes. I don't really care
about package versions. I want to make sure that the code I'm loading
is loaded when I'm done. Even after loading with metacello, we
currently have to reload all the code again by going through the
MCWorkingCopy registry and loading the packages using Gofer. This is
because if there are extensions in a package and the package changes
underneath it, the overrides are lost.

I am considering this:
1. remove all the methods on the classes we work with
2. remove classes that are not referenced by the incoming packages
3. load all the code
4. migrate

This simple process was way faster on previous projects than what we
currently have. It was also much more reliable because we were sure
that we got the methods recompiled and that nothing was missed.

You see, the thing is we don't develop on GS. We do a complete deploy
of our root package every time we update code. Even with developing on
Pharo, we use rebuilt images every day. It may even be easier to load
a 'patch' in pharo generated with a git diff for interim updates. Or
use git tools in the image.

But let's say we still use monticello / metacello. I really don't care
about config versions loaded / not. I just need the package
dependencies and load order from metacello. And then compare the
packages with the versions loaded in the image using Monticello. I
really don't get why we need more than this if we really have to use
Monticello.

> A `lock` is project specific, but a tool to transitively `lock` all projects reachable from a particular project may be required ...

Ok, but please not if ConfigurationOf projects are referenced, because
locking a version is not the behaviour that I want.

> I agree that the best solution to this problem is to convert the *external projects* into baselines.

But we will probably have a mix for a while.

> In order to "say that Zinc must be loaded from a locally cloned repo", you would execute the following expression:
>
>   Metacello
>     baseline: 'Zinc';
>     repository: <someclass> localThirdPartyZincRepository;
>     lock.

So this means that I can't just load my root BaselineOfWonkaRuntime
and expect it to know where to find its stuff. If I have to do this,
it means that I should ditch our config that says it depends on Zinc.
I can then just as well write a long script that does this for each of
the configs / baselines we use and load it explicitly.

I thought the idea was that I could just do this:

Metacello new
     baseline: 'MyProject';
     repository: <someclass> localThirdPartyZincRepository;
     load.

and in BaselineOfMyProject there should be enough info to know where
to get all the code and what versions to use.

> I really think that locks are the going to be the correct answer ... we need to explore the configuration-based issues ... if you are comfortable converting all of your projects to baselines, then perhaps it isn't important to come up with an equivalent solution for configuration-based projects ...

I've already converted to baselines. If there can be a solution for
configuration based issues, then I don't need locks. I need a mode
where I just say 'load all the code locally from the local repos'.

> Frankly I think that if one is going to "take ownership" of an external project (i.e., copy the configuration and packages to a local repository) the only option that makes sense is to use a git-based repository. Firstly, when it comes time to update to a newer version of the project, you must be able to assess all of the new changes that were made and the only way to really make sense of that is ot use git ... Secondly, if you ever find it necessary to make project bugfixes in your local copy, it doesn't make sense to have to update the configuration with a new project version, and new package versions, when a baseline-based project doesn't require all of that extra overheade ... you just make a new git commit ...

I think that using git is great. Some of the community seem to like
it, but adoption will possibly not come instantly.

Re: repositories / overrides

Dale Henrichs-3

| > In your case it sounds to me that you want to consistently
| > #disallow any and all upgrades and downgrades to Grease (except
| > when you explicitly load a different version) and this is
| > completely supported by the Metacello Scripting API ...
|
| No, not really. I want to use the same command to load our project.

Not sure what you mean here ...

| It
| must pick up from disk that there's another version of Grease that I
| want to deploy (i.e. the ConfigurationOfGrease package changed the
| default / core version). And then it must load the new package
| versions.

As far as I can tell you have just described what Metacello does, so I'm not sure what your point is ...

| > Soooo, the fact that you want to "Metacello new removeTheRegistry"
| > means that I haven't done a good enough job of communicating this
| > information to you or you have run into bugs ...
| >
| > The Metacello Scripting API is intended to support exactly the
| > behavior you are asking for so we need to work out specifically
| > where it is failing your...
|
| Thanks for the patience, I really battle to understand why I need
| this. I have the code in the DB, on the classes. I don't really care
| about package versions.

In the previous section you claimed that "it must load the new package versions". If you don't care about package versions then how does "it" know which ones are new?

| I want to make sure that the code I'm loading
| is loaded when I'm done. Even after loading with metacello, we
| currently have to reload all the code again by going through the
| MCWorkingCopy registry and loading the packages using Gofer. This is
| because if there are extensions in a package and the package changes
| underneath it, the overrides are lost.

This sounds like a different problem, I use packages with extensions all of the time and I don't have to reload packages usig Gofer, so there must be something different in the way that you do your load or how you define your packages or ??? but I don't have enough detail here to know where the issue might lie. I need specifics, not generalities.

| I am considering this:
| 1. remove all the methods on the classes we work with
| 2. remove classes that are not referenced by the incoming packages
| 3. load all the code
| 4. migrate

I see that we have moved on from the discussion of how to manage external projects into something completely different. I don't think this has anything to do with Metacello.

I would like to see a step by step description of what you are doing and exactly what problems you are experiencing. I don't think you should have to do this, but I clearly don't understand the exact problems that you are facing so I can't judge whether the steps you are threatening to take are necessary or not ...

| This simple process was way faster on previous projects than what we
| currently have. It was also much more reliable because we were sure
| that we got the methods recompiled and that nothing was missed.
|
| You see, the thing is we don't develop on GS. We do a complete deploy
| of our root package every time we update code. Even with developing
| on
| Pharo, we use rebuilt images every day. It may even be easier to load
| a 'patch' in pharo generated with a git diff for interim updates. Or
| use git tools in the image.

.....I don't see a problem being described here ... is speed of updating the only problem? There are techniques for speeding up migrations by handling the migrations in bulk, but It's not clear to me exactly what your problem is...

| But let's say we still use monticello / metacello. I really don't
| care
| about config versions loaded / not. I just need the package
| dependencies and load order from metacello. And then compare the
| packages with the versions loaded in the image using Monticello. I
| really don't get why we need more than this if we really have to use
| Monticello.

This is exactly what a Metacello load does. What is the "more than this" that you are referring to?

| > A `lock` is project specific, but a tool to transitively `lock` all
| > projects reachable from a particular project may be required ...
|
| Ok, but please not if ConfigurationOf projects are referenced,
| because
| locking a version is not the behaviour that I want.

Telling me that something is "not the behavior that I want" provides no useful information ... Let's try to use small, concrete examples of what you do want ... have you run the example code that I created for you? Have you looked at the scripts that I wrote? I think that you should be able to demonstrate your problems by modifying the example projects to illustrate the problems that you are having ...

You seem to be ovewhelmed with a bunch of different problems, but to make any sense, we have to start at the beginning and work our way through the various problem areas ... one step at a time .... I know that if we were in the same room we'd have an understanding in a couple of hours, but we do not have that luxury ... so we must make do ...

So I propose that we start with the set of projects that I have created and attempt to duplicate ONE of the problems that you are having. So you have to pick ONE of your problems and describe it enough detail that I can understand what the problem might be ... then I will go about tryig to duplicate the problem with the small set of projects and packages ...

| > I agree that the best solution to this problem is to convert the
| > *external projects* into baselines.
|
| But we will probably have a mix for a while.
|
| > In order to "say that Zinc must be loaded from a locally cloned
| > repo", you would execute the following expression:
| >
| >   Metacello
| >     baseline: 'Zinc';
| >     repository: <someclass> localThirdPartyZincRepository;
| >     lock.
|
| So this means that I can't just load my root BaselineOfWonkaRuntime
| and expect it to know where to find its stuff.

The point of the `lock` command is to allow you to change/override the specification of the Zinc project that is referenced from configurations/baslines that you DON'T OWN ... the `lock` command is supposed to save you the effort of changing every external configuration/baseline that references the Zinc project ...

The `lock` command is simply a means of specifying an alternate location for project artifacts

| If I have to do this,
| it means that I should ditch our config that says it depends on Zinc.
| I can then just as well write a long script that does this for each
| of
| the configs / baselines we use and load it explicitly.

Nope ... wrong conclusion...

| I thought the idea was that I could just do this:
|
| Metacello new
|      baseline: 'MyProject';
|      repository: <someclass> localThirdPartyZincRepository;
|      load.
|
| and in BaselineOfMyProject there should be enough info to know where
| to get all the code and what versions to use.

You certainly can do "this", but the problem that `locks` are designed to address comes about when you load an external project that also has a reference to 'MyProject' and that reference specifies a non-local repository location...rerouting the project reference to point to your local repository could have been accomplished by adding some behavior to the onConflict:/onUpgrade:/onDowngrade: messages, but I thought this "re-routing" deserved an explicit specification at the image level rather than forcing you to add the repository mapping logic to every load command ...

with all of that said ... I am not convinced that I have "hit the nail on the head" with the `lock` command, but so far I don't have a clear enough picture of your exact use case to know... I have a feeling that you don't quite fully understand the `lock` command either ...or you need to be more specific in your objections:)

| > I really think that locks are the going to be the correct answer
| > ... we need to explore the configuration-based issues ... if you
| > are comfortable converting all of your projects to baselines, then
| > perhaps it isn't important to come up with an equivalent solution
| > for configuration-based projects ...
|
| I've already converted to baselines. If there can be a solution for
| configuration based issues, then I don't need locks. I need a mode
| where I just say 'load all the code locally from the local repos'.

It sounds like you've already done some of the things that I've suggested in the writeup, but it also sounds like you still have some outstanding issues. Why don't you describe the configuration-based issues in detail from your perspective and perhaps we can come up with a solution that works for you...

Dale

Re: repositories / overrides

Dale Henrichs-3
Otto,

Upon reading this mail in the "light of day" I hope I wasn't too harsh ... build and configuration problems are difficult beasts to tame, the only way to tame the beast is to tackle one small problem at a time ... the devil  is in the details ...

The primary motivation for the Metacello Scripting API is to improve the build process. In order to truly improve the process, I need to have feedback from other folks and that means we have to open wounds and poke around in them ... a painful process ...

It takes patience on both sides, but it is also "legal" to do a bit of ranting along the way as it reduces stress in the end ...

I am optimistic that we can address the problems that you are having, but in order to do so we have to break the problem down into smaller pieces and build a solution one piece at a time...

Dale

| | > In your case it sounds to me that you want to consistently
| | > #disallow any and all upgrades and downgrades to Grease (except
| | > when you explicitly load a different version) and this is
| | > completely supported by the Metacello Scripting API ...
| |
| | No, not really. I want to use the same command to load our project.
|
| Not sure what you mean here ...
|
| | It
| | must pick up from disk that there's another version of Grease that
| | want to deploy (i.e. the ConfigurationOfGrease package changed the
| | default / core version). And then it must load the new package
| | versions.
|
| As far as I can tell you have just described what Metacello does, so
| I'm not sure what your point is ...

| |
| | > Soooo, the fact that you want to "Metacello new
| | > removeTheRegistry"
| | > means that I haven't done a good enough job of communicating this
| | > information to you or you have run into bugs ...
| | >
| | > The Metacello Scripting API is intended to support exactly the
| | > behavior you are asking for so we need to work out specifically
| | > where it is failing your...
| |
| | Thanks for the patience, I really battle to understand why I need
| | this. I have the code in the DB, on the classes. I don't really
| | care
| | about package versions.
|
| In the previous section you claimed that "it must load the new
| package versions". If you don't care about package versions then how
| does "it" know which ones are new?
|
| | I want to make sure that the code I'm loading
| | is loaded when I'm done. Even after loading with metacello, we
| | currently have to reload all the code again by going through the
| | MCWorkingCopy registry and loading the packages using Gofer. This
| | is
| | because if there are extensions in a package and the package
| | changes
| | underneath it, the overrides are lost.
|
| This sounds like a different problem, I use packages with extensions
| all of the time and I don't have to reload packages usig Gofer, so
| there must be something different in the way that you do your load
| or how you define your packages or ??? but I don't have enough
| detail here to know where the issue might lie. I need specifics, not
| generalities.

| |
> [...]
|
| So I propose that we start with the set of projects that I have
| created and attempt to duplicate ONE of the problems that you are
| having. So you have to pick ONE of your problems and describe it
| enough detail that I can understand what the problem might be ...
| then I will go about tryig to duplicate the problem with the small
| set of projects and packages ...

| |
| | > I agree that the best solution to this problem is to convert the
| | > *external projects* into baselines.
| |
| | But we will probably have a mix for a while.
| |
| | > In order to "say that Zinc must be loaded from a locally cloned
| | > repo", you would execute the following expression:
| | >
| | >   Metacello
| | >     baseline: 'Zinc';
| | >     repository: <someclass> localThirdPartyZincRepository;
| |
| | So this means that I can't just load my root BaselineOfWonkaRuntime
| | and expect it to know where to find its stuff.
|
| The point of the `lock` command is to allow you to change/override
| the specification of the Zinc project that is referenced from
| configurations/baslines that you DON'T OWN ... the `lock` command is
| supposed to save you the effort of changing every external
| configuration/baseline that references the Zinc project ...
|
| The `lock` command is simply a means of specifying an alternate
| location for project artifacts
|

| | If I have to do this,
| | it means that I should ditch our config that says it depends on
| | Zinc.
| | I can then just as well write a long script that does this for each
| | of
| | the configs / baselines we use and load it explicitly.
| |

| Nope ... wrong conclusion...
|
| | I thought the idea was that I could just do this:
| |
| | Metacello new
| |      baseline: 'MyProject';
| |      repository: <someclass> localThirdPartyZincRepository;
| |      load.
| |
| | and in BaselineOfMyProject there should be enough info to know
| | where
| | to get all the code and what versions to use.
|
| You certainly can do "this", but the problem that `locks` are
| designed to address comes about when you load an external project
| that also has a reference to 'MyProject' and that reference
| specifies a non-local repository location...rerouting the project
| reference to point to your local repository could have been
| accomplished by adding some behavior to the
| onConflict:/onUpgrade:/onDowngrade: messages, but I thought this
| "re-routing" deserved an explicit specification at the image level
| rather than forcing you to add the repository mapping logic to every
| load command ...
|
| with all of that said ... I am not convinced that I have "hit the
| nail on the head" with the `lock` command, but so far I don't have a
| clear enough picture of your exact use case to know... I have a
| feeling that you don't quite fully understand the `lock` command
| either ...or you need to be more specific in your objections:)

| |
| | > I really think that locks are the going to be the correct answer
| | > ... we need to explore the configuration-based issues ... if you
| | > are comfortable converting all of your projects to baselines,
| | > then
| | > perhaps it isn't important to come up with an equivalent solution
| | > for configuration-based projects ...
| |
| | I've already converted to baselines. If there can be a solution for
| | configuration based issues, then I don't need locks. I need a mode
| | where I just say 'load all the code locally from the local repos'.
|
| It sounds like you've already done some of the things that I've
| suggested in the writeup, but it also sounds like you still have
| some outstanding issues. Why don't you describe the
| configuration-based issues in detail from your perspective and
| perhaps we can come up with a solution that works for you...
|
| Dale

Re: repositories / overrides

otto
Ok, don't worry. Yes, certainly we need some patience. I'm also under pressure. Will respond soon. Almost there

On Tuesday, 26 November 2013, Dale K. Henrichs wrote:
Otto,

Upon reading this mail in the "light of day" I hope I wasn't too harsh ... build and configuration problems are difficult beasts to tame, the only way to tame the beast is to tackle one small problem at a time ... the devil  is in the details ...

The primary motivation for the Metacello Scripting API is to improve the build process. In order to truly improve the process, I need to have feedback from other folks and that means we have to open wounds and poke around in them ... a painful process ...

It takes patience on both sides, but it is also "legal" to do a bit of ranting along the way as it reduces stress in the end ...

I am optimistic that we can address the problems that you are having, but in order to do so we have to break the problem down into smaller pieces and build a solution one piece at a time...

Dale

| | > In your case it sounds to me that you want to consistently
| | > #disallow any and all upgrades and downgrades to Grease (except
| | > when you explicitly load a different version) and this is
| | > completely supported by the Metacello Scripting API ...
| |
| | No, not really. I want to use the same command to load our project.
|
| Not sure what you mean here ...
|
| | It
| | must pick up from disk that there's another version of Grease that
| | want to deploy (i.e. the ConfigurationOfGrease package changed the
| | default / core version). And then it must load the new package
| | versions.
|
| As far as I can tell you have just described what Metacello does, so
| I'm not sure what your point is ...

| |
| | > Soooo, the fact that you want to "Metacello new
| | > removeTheRegistry"
| | > means that I haven't done a good enough job of communicating this
| | > information to you or you have run into bugs ...
| | >
| | > The Metacello Scripting API is intended to support exactly the
| | > behavior you are asking for so we need to work out specifically
| | > where it is failing your...
| |
| | Thanks for the patience, I really battle to understand why I need
| | this. I have the code in the DB, on the classes. I don't really
| | care
| | about package versions.
|
| In the previous section you claimed that "it must load the new
| package versions". If you don't care about package versions then how
| does "it" know which ones are new?
|
| | I want to make sure that the code I'm loading
| | is loaded when I'm done. Even after loading with metacello, we
| | currently have to reload all the code again by going through the
| | MCWorkingCopy registry and loading the packages using Gofer. This
| | is
| | because if there are extensions in a package and the package
| | changes
| | underneath it, the overrides are lost.
|
| This sounds like a different problem, I use packages with extensions
| all of the time and I don't have to reload packages usig Gofer, so
| there must be something different in the way that you do your load
| or how you define your packages or ??? but I don't have enough
| detail here to know where the issue might lie. I need specifics, not
| generalities.

| |
| | I am considering this:
| | 1. remove all the methods on the classes we work with
| | 2. remove classes that are not referenced by the incoming packages
| | 3. load all the code
| | 4. migrate
|
| I see that we have moved on from the discussion of how to manage
| external projects into something completely different. I don't think
| this has anything to do with Metacello.
|
| I would like to see a step by step description of what you are doing
| and exactly what problems you are experiencing. I don't think you
| should have to do this, but I clearly don't understand the exact
| problems that you are facing so I can't judge whether the steps you
| are threatening to take are necessary or not ...

| |
| | This simple process was way faster on previous projects than what
| | we
| | currently have. It was also much more reliable because we were sure
| | that we got the methods recompiled and that nothing was missed.
| |
| | You see, the thing is we don't develop on GS. We do a complete
| | deploy
| | of our root package every time we update code. Even with developing
| | on
| | Pharo, we use rebuilt images every day. It may even be easier to
| | load
| | a 'patch' in pharo generated with a git diff for interim updates.
| | Or
| | use git tools in the image.
|
| .....I don't see a problem being described here ... is speed of
| updating the only problem? There are techniques for speeding

--
www.FinWorks.biz
+27 82 809 2375

Re: repositories / overrides

otto
| > In your case it sounds to me that you want to consistently
| > #disallow any and all upgrades and downgrades to Grease (except
| > when you explicitly load a different version) and this is
| > completely supported by the Metacello Scripting API ...
|
| No, not really. I want to use the same command to load our project.

Not sure what you mean here ...

I meant to say that I want to do:

Metacello new
baseline: 'WonkaRuntime';
repository: 'filetree:///somewhere';
load

and that is it. I want the BaselineOfWonkaRuntime to do the rest. Inside BaselineOfWonkaRuntime (attached)

My entry point is for example:

BaselineOfWonkaRuntime
loadWonkaRuntimeWithProjectsGroup: 'Core'
fromWonkaRoot: '/home/wonka/development/wonka'
platform: 'GemStone64Bit2.4.4.4-x86_64.Linux'.

Groups - 'Core' or 'Tests'
fromWonkaRoot - the root of our locally cloned git repo. For this load, the subdirectory structure looks like this:

<wonka root>
- 3rdparty
- glass   (clone of https://github.com/glassdb/glass)
- zinc   (clone of https://github.com/glassdb/zinc)
- Seaside30    (clone of https://github.com/glassdb/Seaside30)
- shared_mcz   (contains ConfigurationOf(GsMonticello|XMLWriter|OSProcess|Gofer|...)<version>.mcz packages. Most recent downloaded from repos. Some modified). Also a number of other mcz's used to bootstrap and those packages not in the cloned repos)
- pharo, GemStone64Bit<version>     (contains platform specific mcz packages)
- monticello   (contains all our code as a filetree repo)

BaselineOfWonkaRuntime-otto.36.mcz (10K) Download Attachment

Re: repositories / overrides

otto
PS.

The method Metacello | handleWonkaLoadConflict (extension in the BaselineOfWonkaRuntime package) tries to state how I want to control what's loaded. It actually just prefers BaselineOf over ConfigurationOf.

Re: repositories / overrides

otto
| It
| must pick up from disk that there's another version of Grease that I
| want to deploy (i.e. the ConfigurationOfGrease package changed the
| default / core version). And then it must load the new package
| versions.

As far as I can tell you have just described what Metacello does, so I'm not sure what your point is ...

I wanted to say that if I download and a new ConfigurationOfGrease on my machine, my scripts pick it up and load it. I want the new config to be used. If the default / stable version is bumped in it, I want that to be loaded. From disk, on my machine.

| > Soooo, the fact that you want to "Metacello new removeTheRegistry"
| > means that I haven't done a good enough job of communicating this
| > information to you or you have run into bugs ...
| >
| > The Metacello Scripting API is intended to support exactly the
| > behavior you are asking for so we need to work out specifically
| > where it is failing your...
|
| Thanks for the patience, I really battle to understand why I need
| this. I have the code in the DB, on the classes. I don't really care
| about package versions.

In the previous section you claimed that "it must load the new package versions". If you don't care about package versions then how does "it" know which ones are new?

The newly loaded configuration file as explained in the previous point. Read this in the context of locks. If I locked ConfigurationOfGrease, get a new ConfigurationOfGrease package and load it, my understanding is that it will not load the new config & version (if I use my top level loading script). My conclusion is that I should not lock ConfigurationOf<anything>.

12