repository using https: ?

rhawley
I tried making my public directory on Apple's mobileme into a monticello repository.

As a directory I can write to it, but I am wondering if other people would be able to link to it as it is an https:.

(In monticello http is allowed-for when choosing repositories, but not https. There is no password.)

Re: repository using https: ?

Igor Stasenko
A single letter http[s], means a lot of work to support it.
That, by no means, does not invalidates your inquiry.

If you want it so badly, why just don't make it? You will make a good
service not just to yourself, but
also to community :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: repository using https: ?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Robert Hawley wrote:

> I tried making my public directory on Apple's mobileme into a monticello repository.
>
> As a directory I can write to it, but I am wondering if other people would be able to link to it as it is an https:.
>
> (In monticello http is allowed-for when choosing repositories, but not https. There is no password.)

There are existing solutions for your problem with different issues:
1) There's an SSL implementation in the Cryptography repository on
SqueakSource: http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography.html . If you load
that (requires the Crytography package too), then you can load this:
http://leves.web.elte.hu/cryptography/MCHttpsRepository-ul.5.mcz to get a
https option in MC. To get acceptable performance you'll need the
DESPlugin. You may have problems with Certificates.
2) There's cURL which handles https and there's an MC extension to support
https via cURL: http://www.squeaksource.com/monticellossl.html .
Note that the linked CurlPlugin leaks memory, so you'll have to fix that
and rebuild it.
3) Load SqueakSSL from SqueakSource and implement the https MC repository
type with it (like the package linked at 1). Don't forget to ask Andreas
about the license of SqueakSSL.

Levente