rice paper background in trunk?

12
tty

Re: rice paper background in trunk?

tty
Steve  Wessel's Desktop Background Loader works wonderfully.

http://squeak.preeminent.org/

I wrote a blog post on how to install it here:

https://timmydosmalltalk.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/setting-a-background-image-on-squeak/

I am able to set a different background per/project..I run WindowMaker window manager and their Themes are quit rich.

You may want to provide the Background Loader by default and then provide some optional "themes" for users to download.

cheers.

Re: rice paper background in trunk?

marcel.taeumel
gettimothy wrote
Steve  Wessel's Desktop Background Loader works wonderfully.

http://squeak.preeminent.org/

I wrote a blog post on how to install it here:

https://timmydosmalltalk.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/setting-a-background-image-on-squeak/

I am able to set a different background per/project..I run WindowMaker window manager and their Themes are quit rich.

You may want to provide the Background Loader by default and then provide some optional "themes" for users to download.

cheers.
We could also just add a file service and provide a second option for dropped image files besides making them a sketch morph. Assuming a user is able to drag-drop a picture file, this would be *very* simple.

Best,
Marcel

Re: rice paper background in trunk?

marcel.taeumel
marcel.taeumel wrote
gettimothy wrote
Steve  Wessel's Desktop Background Loader works wonderfully.

http://squeak.preeminent.org/

I wrote a blog post on how to install it here:

https://timmydosmalltalk.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/setting-a-background-image-on-squeak/

I am able to set a different background per/project..I run WindowMaker window manager and their Themes are quit rich.

You may want to provide the Background Loader by default and then provide some optional "themes" for users to download.

cheers.
We could also just add a file service and provide a second option for dropped image files besides making them a sketch morph. Assuming a user is able to drag-drop a picture file, this would be *very* simple.

Best,
Marcel
There was already a file service for images to set project backgrounds. Update your trunk and it should work again.

Best,
Marcel
tty

Re: rice paper background in trunk?

tty
Hi Marcel

There was already a file service for images to set project backgrounds.
Update your trunk and it should work again.

Best,
Marcel

I updated the image and opened a FileList

I navigated to, selected an image.jpg file and clicked the import button.

In Extras->Graphical Imports a thumbnail of the image shows up.

I grab it, fiddle a bit and set as background.

It doesn't fit, so I poke around some more trying to make it fill the entire background.

Anyway, the desktop background loader works far more intuitively for me.

Thanks for your help.

Re: rice paper background in trunk?

marcel.taeumel
gettimothy wrote
Hi Marcel

There was already a file service for images to set project backgrounds.
Update your trunk and it should work again.

Best,
Marcel

I updated the image and opened a FileList

I navigated to, selected an image.jpg file and clicked the import button.

In Extras->Graphical Imports a thumbnail of the image shows up.

I grab it, fiddle a bit and set as background.

It doesn't fit, so I poke around some more trying to make it fill the entire background.

Anyway, the desktop background loader works far more intuitively for me.

Thanks for your help.
Hi Timothy,

almost. :) Just drag-drop an image from the outside of Squeak into the Squeak world and choose "set graphic as backround". It did not refer to the use of Squeak's FileList tool.

Best,
Marcel
tty

Re: rice paper background in trunk?

tty
That worked. Thanks.

Communicating that to a user who has never done that needs work.

In Linux land "HowTos" are a big thing...perhaps a Help Book with different HowTo topics would be a good idea?

cheers.

tty

---- On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 12:37:28 -0400 marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote ----
gettimothy wrote

> Hi Marcel
>
> There was already a file service for images to set project backgrounds.
> Update your trunk and it should work again.
>
> Best,
> Marcel
>

> I updated the image and opened a FileList
>
> I navigated to, selected an image.jpg file and clicked the import button.
>
> In Extras-&gt;Graphical Imports a thumbnail of the image shows up.
>
> I grab it, fiddle a bit and set as background.
>
> It doesn't fit, so I poke around some more trying to make it fill the
> entire background.
>
> Anyway, the desktop background loader works far more intuitively for me.
>

> Thanks for your help.

Hi Timothy,

almost. :) Just drag-drop an image from the outside of Squeak into the
Squeak world and choose "set graphic as backround". It did not refer to the
use of Squeak's FileList tool.

Best,
Marcel

Re: rice paper background in trunk?

Hannes Hirzel

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1796  ?

> cheers.
>
> tty
>
> ---- On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 12:37:28 -0400 marcel.taeumel
> &lt;[hidden email]&gt; wrote ----
>
> gettimothy wrote
> &gt; Hi Marcel
> &gt;
> &gt; There was already a file service for images to set project backgrounds.
>
> &gt; Update your trunk and it should work again.
> &gt;
> &gt; Best,
> &gt; Marcel
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt; I updated the image and opened a FileList
> &gt;
> &gt; I navigated to, selected an image.jpg file and clicked the import
> button.
> &gt;
> &gt; In Extras-&amp;gt;Graphical Imports a thumbnail of the image shows up.
>
> &gt;
> &gt; I grab it, fiddle a bit and set as background.
> &gt;
> &gt; It doesn't fit, so I poke around some more trying to make it fill the
> &gt; entire background.
> &gt;
> &gt; Anyway, the desktop background loader works far more intuitively for
> me.
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt; Thanks for your help.
>
> Hi Timothy,
>
> almost. :) Just drag-drop an image from the outside of Squeak into the
> Squeak world and choose "set graphic as backround". It did not refer to the
>
> use of Squeak's FileList tool.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

tty

Re: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: rice paper background in trunk?

tty

---- On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 18:24:59 -0400 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote ----
On 7/16/16, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That worked. Thanks.
>
> Communicating that to a user who has never done that needs work.
>

> In Linux land "HowTos" are a big thing...perhaps a Help Book with different
> HowTo topics would be a good idea?

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1796 ?

I don't think that is good enough; an end user should not have to think about setting the Background (granted, the drag-n-drop is easy, but obtaining the knowledge to do that was not).

 On my WindowMaker window manager, its Right click for a menu->appearance->Background->Images->an image.

With Wessell's Background Loader, its a very similar use case.

I am sure Windows and Mac have similar ease-of-use paradigms.

There is nothing intuitive about the World menu for setting the background image and there is nothing within the World that links to the http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1796

cordially,

tty

12