roassal2 seems to work well now

12

roassal2 seems to work well now

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

With the latest development, Roassal2 seems to work well.

For example, the rendering of the logical view of Glamour browsers was broken, and now it works well. This is great news.

Is this just my impression? Do we know if there are still open issues with the FFI in this area?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

EstebanLM

On 17 Jan 2016, at 18:02, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

With the latest development, Roassal2 seems to work well.

For example, the rendering of the logical view of Glamour browsers was broken, and now it works well. This is great news.

<Inspector on a GLMSystemWindow(771559424).png>

Is this just my impression? Do we know if there are still open issues with the FFI in this area?

I’m glad some things has been covered, but as much as I would like to declare FFI work finished, I’m still working on it and I will spend a lot more time on stabilising (for example, I’m still having crashings in Johan’s work… crashes that are FFI related… some problem when copying bits to world surface that I bet can affect roassal2 too)

But well… we are a lot better now than 2 weeks ago :)

Esteban

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

> On Jan 17, 2016, at 6:29 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 17 Jan 2016, at 18:02, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> With the latest development, Roassal2 seems to work well.
>>
>> For example, the rendering of the logical view of Glamour browsers was broken, and now it works well. This is great news.
>>
>> <Inspector on a GLMSystemWindow(771559424).png>
>>
>> Is this just my impression? Do we know if there are still open issues with the FFI in this area?
>
> I’m glad some things has been covered, but as much as I would like to declare FFI work finished, I’m still working on it and I will spend a lot more time on stabilising (for example, I’m still having crashings in Johan’s work… crashes that are FFI related… some problem when copying bits to world surface that I bet can affect roassal2 too)

> But well… we are a lot better now than 2 weeks ago :)

That is what I am saying :). Great work, indeed!

I sent this mail exactly to fish for less obvious problems as soon as possible because they will help you (and everyone else) :)

Cheers,
Doru

> Esteban
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Reasonable is what we are accustomed with."

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

stepharo

Is this just my impression? Do we know if there are still open issues with the FFI in this area?

I’m glad some things has been covered, but as much as I would like to declare FFI work finished, I’m still working on it and I will spend a lot more time on stabilising (for example, I’m still having crashings in Johan’s work… crashes that are FFI related… some problem when copying bits to world surface that I bet can affect roassal2 too)

But well… we are a lot better now than 2 weeks ago :)

Excellent.
Esteban I also got the bug mentioned by Johan.
Now should we update to the latest vm?

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

stepharo
Esteban

may be playing with OSWindow will find some bugs.
Did you check the SDL20 examples because they were failing?

Stef

On 17 Jan 2016, at 18:37, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Esteban

may be playing with OSWindow will find some bugs.
Did you check the SDL20 examples because they were failing?

I still do not start SDL migration (it shouldn’t be difficult).
Probably this week, if I find the time :)

Esteban

On 17 Jan 2016, at 18:02, Tudor Girba <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

abergel
Johan?

Does the image still crash?

Alexandre

> On Jan 17, 2016, at 2:02 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> With the latest development, Roassal2 seems to work well.
>
> For example, the rendering of the logical view of Glamour browsers was broken, and now it works well. This is great news.
>
> <Inspector on a GLMSystemWindow(771559424).png>
>
> Is this just my impression? Do we know if there are still open issues with the FFI in this area?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

jfabry

If Esteban says there are problems, there are problems. (And he did say so.)

> On Jan 17, 2016, at 22:43, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Johan?
>
> Does the image still crash?
>
> Alexandre
>

>> On Jan 17, 2016, at 2:02 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> With the latest development, Roassal2 seems to work well.
>>
>> For example, the rendering of the logical view of Glamour browsers was broken, and now it works well. This is great news.
>>
>> <Inspector on a GLMSystemWindow(771559424).png>
>>
>> Is this just my impression? Do we know if there are still open issues with the FFI in this area?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

stepharo
The good news is that today esteban run the image of Johan without a
single crash.
He was (with me looking over this shoulder) fixing SDL and we could
write on an external window on click :).
And all this FFI intensive work without a single crash :).

Stef

Le 18/1/16 02:43, Alexandre Bergel a écrit :

> Johan?
>
> Does the image still crash?
>
> Alexandre
>

>> On Jan 17, 2016, at 2:02 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> With the latest development, Roassal2 seems to work well.
>>
>> For example, the rendering of the logical view of Glamour browsers was broken, and now it works well. This is great news.
>>
>> <Inspector on a GLMSystemWindow(771559424).png>
>>
>> Is this just my impression? Do we know if there are still open issues with the FFI in this area?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

jfabry

Excellent !!! What do I need to do to test it there ?

> On Jan 18, 2016, at 15:35, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The good news is that today esteban run the image of Johan without a single crash.

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

stepharo
I think that you should grab the latest VM.

Le 18/1/16 19:41, Johan Fabry a écrit :

> Excellent !!! What do I need to do to test it there ?
>
>> On Jan 18, 2016, at 15:35, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The good news is that today esteban run the image of Johan without a single crash.
>

> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>
> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

EstebanLM
yep… but since is like a “side effect fix” I wouldn’t be surprised if it is still there (and I just did not managed to produce the crash :( )

anyway, good luck :)

Esteban

> On 18 Jan 2016, at 20:31, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think that you should grab the latest VM.
>
> Le 18/1/16 19:41, Johan Fabry a écrit :
>> Excellent !!! What do I need to do to test it there ?
>>
>>> On Jan 18, 2016, at 15:35, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The good news is that today esteban run the image of Johan without a single crash.
>>

>> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>>
>> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
>> PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

jfabry

Sorry guys, crash within 30 seconds. :-( latest vm and the LRP build from 5 minutes ago.

vm: wget --quiet -O - get.pharo.org/50+vm | bash

image: https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/LiveRobotProgramming/91/PHARO=50,VERSION=development,VM=vm/

crash.dmp (12K) Download Attachment

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

EstebanLM

> On 18 Jan 2016, at 23:22, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Sorry guys, crash within 30 seconds. :-( latest vm and the LRP build from 5 minutes ago.
>
> vm: wget --quiet -O - get.pharo.org/50+vm | bash

that’s no latest vm
latest vm is 50+vmLatest

Esteban

> image: https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/LiveRobotProgramming/91/PHARO=50,VERSION=development,VM=vm/
>

> <crash.dmp>
>
>> On Jan 18, 2016, at 16:47, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> yep… but since is like a “side effect fix” I wouldn’t be surprised if it is still there (and I just did not managed to produce the crash :( )
>>
>> anyway, good luck :)
>>
>> Esteban
>>
>>> On 18 Jan 2016, at 20:31, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think that you should grab the latest VM.

> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>
> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

EstebanLM

> On 19 Jan 2016, at 07:48, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 18 Jan 2016, at 23:22, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Sorry guys, crash within 30 seconds. :-( latest vm and the LRP build from 5 minutes ago.
>>
>> vm: wget --quiet -O - get.pharo.org/50+vm | bash
>
> that’s no latest vm
> latest vm is 50+vmLatest

but yet… is reasonable if it crash… as I said, I still don’t know what is happening there :)

Esteban

> Esteban
>

>> image: https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/LiveRobotProgramming/91/PHARO=50,VERSION=development,VM=vm/
>>

>> <crash.dmp>
>>
>>> On Jan 18, 2016, at 16:47, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> yep… but since is like a “side effect fix” I wouldn’t be surprised if it is still there (and I just did not managed to produce the crash :( )
>>>
>>> anyway, good luck :)
>>>
>>> Esteban

>> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>>
>> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
>> PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

jfabry

> On Jan 19, 2016, at 04:24, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 19 Jan 2016, at 07:48, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 18 Jan 2016, at 23:22, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Sorry guys, crash within 30 seconds. :-( latest vm and the LRP build from 5 minutes ago.
>>>
>>> vm: wget --quiet -O - get.pharo.org/50+vm | bash
>>
>> that’s no latest vm
>> latest vm is 50+vmLatest
>
> but yet… is reasonable if it crash… as I said, I still don’t know what is happening there :)
Thanks for pointing me to the right VM!

But indeed, it still crashes on a GrafPort>copyBits call when drawing a TRMorp. So if you are using Roassal2, Pharo will crash on you at some point.  :-(

crash.dmp (13K) Download Attachment

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

EstebanLM
is weird.

load and run: crash.
load, save&quit, open and run: not crash

at least in my environment.

Esteban

On 19 Jan 2016, at 12:54, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ben Coman
On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 7:54 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> that’s no latest vm
>>> latest vm is 50+vmLatest
>>
>> but yet… is reasonable if it crash… as I said, I still don’t know what is happening there :)
>
> Thanks for pointing me to the right VM!
>
> But indeed, it still crashes on a GrafPort>copyBits call when drawing a TRMorp. So if you are using Roassal2, Pharo will crash on you at some point.  :-(

Can you provide a script that crashes it from a fresh Image (including
cheers -ben

Re: roassal2 seems to work well now

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 19-01-16 13:24, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> is weird.
>
> load and run: crash.
> load, save&quit, open and run: not crash
>
> at least in my environment.

Sounds familiar

Stephan

12