sar or mcz?

Martin Beck-3
Hi there,
what kind of installable package files is the preferred one at the
moment: .sar or .mcz? FYI, i want to automatically execute some code after
this in install/postscript and in a .mcz you can use class-side startup:
message. But .sars don't seem to be really used - am i right?

Regards,
Martin

RE: sar or mcz?

Alan L. Lovejoy
Matin,

I use a .sar for the Squeak version of Chronos, which is available on
SqueakMap.  One reason is simply that Avi still owns the Monticello-based
Chronos package on SqueakSource, meaning I can't update it (and by the way,
Avi only ever uploaded his very initial Chronos port, which will break your
image unless you are using a Squeak version < 3.7.) But more relevant to
this discussion is the fact that the "preamble" and "postscript" scripts in
a .sar make it easy to optionally install some modules (or install different
versions of the same module) based on the version of Squeak into which
Chronos is being imported.  I don't believe Monticello supports that
capability.

--Alan

Re: sar or mcz?

Philippe Marschall
2006/12/26, Alan Lovejoy <[hidden email]>:

> Matin,
>
> I use a .sar for the Squeak version of Chronos, which is available on
> SqueakMap.  One reason is simply that Avi still owns the Monticello-based
> Chronos package on SqueakSource, meaning I can't update it (and by the way,
> Avi only ever uploaded his very initial Chronos port, which will break your
> image unless you are using a Squeak version < 3.7.) But more relevant to
> this discussion is the fact that the "preamble" and "postscript" scripts in
> a .sar make it easy to optionally install some modules (or install different
> versions of the same module) based on the version of Squeak into which
> Chronos is being imported.  I don't believe Monticello supports that
> capability.

Monticello would actually support postscripts and preambles but the
Package-Info version in standard Squeak does not.

Personally I perfer MCZ because it is integrated in our build process.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: sar or mcz?

Edgar J. De Cleene
Martin Beck puso en su mail :

> Hi there,
> what kind of installable package files is the preferred one at the
> moment: .sar or .mcz? FYI, i want to automatically execute some code after
> this in install/postscript and in a .mcz you can use class-side startup:
> message. But .sars don't seem to be really used - am i right?
>
> Regards,
> Martin

I always use .sar modified SARBuilder plus modified ArchiveViewer for having
some "app" deliver when I need more as just code.
See Rompecabezas.8.sar in SqueakMap to see how pack sound, picts,
morphs,etc.

Using the version info I could decide what was needed load for different
Squeak and the new version could load into Squeak 3.9/3.10, SqueakLight and
MinimalMorphic.

As SqueakSource don't let you put any different as .mcz, I have a modified
.mcz unpublished thing for doing the same "app" packaging thing and logic
for loading again from SqueakSource.

Edgar

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).