<script language="smalltalk">

Igor Stasenko
Hello,

i just wanna know, what you thinking about subject?
How easy/hard to integrate smalltalk VM into browsers? It it feasible?
I know, there is (or was) a Squeak browser plugin. But it provides a
functionality like java,
but not like javascript.
While i thinking, that it would be cool to use smalltalk directly in
pages, as javascript.
It could open quite interesting possibilities.

What you think?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: <script language="smalltalk">

LawsonEnglish
On 11/23/10 3:05 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i just wanna know, what you thinking about subject?
> How easy/hard to integrate smalltalk VM into browsers? It it feasible?
> I know, there is (or was) a Squeak browser plugin. But it provides a
> functionality like java,
> but not like javascript.
> While i thinking, that it would be cool to use smalltalk directly in
> pages, as javascript.
> It could open quite interesting possibilities.
>
> What you think?

It should be easy to embed squeak into any arbitrary application, but
from all accounts its not nearly as easy as embedding, say, Lua. Which
is sad, because if I knew how, I would have embedded squeak into the
Second Life viewer years ago.

As far as squeak substituting for javascript goes, you'd have a lot of
security issues to address, which is one of the reasons why the squeak
plugin never took off, i believe. A friend of mine called it "a hacker's
dream" when they first introduced it 10+ years ago.

Lawson

On 24 November 2010 01:35, Lawson English <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/23/10 3:05 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> i just wanna know, what you thinking about subject?
>> How easy/hard to integrate smalltalk VM into browsers? It it feasible?
>> I know, there is (or was) a Squeak browser plugin. But it provides a
>> functionality like java,
>> but not like javascript.
>> While i thinking, that it would be cool to use smalltalk directly in
>> pages, as javascript.
>> It could open quite interesting possibilities.
>>
>> What you think?
>>
> It should be easy to embed squeak into any arbitrary application, but from
> all accounts its not nearly as easy as embedding, say, Lua. Which is sad,
> because if I knew how, I would have embedded squeak into the Second Life
> viewer years ago.

Well, i think one of VM developers aim should be to turn VM into
dynamically loadable library
with good API. So then it could be used by arbitrary host application.
And original Squeak VM should be simply a host application provided by default.

> As far as squeak substituting for javascript goes, you'd have a lot of
> security issues to address, which is one of the reasons why the squeak
> plugin never took off, i believe. A friend of mine called it "a hacker's
> dream" when they first introduced it 10+ years ago.

Hacker's dream? You must be joking. I could say so, if one would want
to introduce C
as scripting language, because it allows direct manipulation with
pointers. But smalltalk?
You are free to expose only necessary functionality through
primitives, and so, there is no
security risks, higher than in javascript language.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: <script language="smalltalk">

Chris Cunnington
I think the browser, the DOM, and JavaScript can't be pried apart. The public API to the DOM IS JavaScript, so fighting that is not worth it.

Instead, go with it. Use a translation layer between Smalltalk and the JavaScript.

That means a parser. That means OMeta, because it treats JavaScript as Assembly. And a Smalltalk parser for OMeta has been written. I made a movie about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2dyLKP_xJc

I'd say that the trick would be baking OMeta and the Smalltalk parser into a binary that could be loaded into a browser as a plugin.

Chris

Re: <script language="smalltalk">

Frank Shearar
On 2010/11/24 00:02, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> I think the browser, the DOM, and JavaScript can't be pried apart. The
> public API to the DOM IS JavaScript, so fighting that is not worth it.
>
> Instead, go with it. Use a translation layer between Smalltalk and the
> JavaScript.
>
> That means a parser. That means OMeta, because it treats JavaScript as
> Assembly. And a Smalltalk parser for OMeta has been written. I made a
> movie about it.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2dyLKP_xJc
>
> I'd say that the trick would be baking OMeta and the Smalltalk parser
> into a binary that could be loaded into a browser as a plugin.

Xtreams also has a Javascript parser, which WebVelocity makes extensive
use of.

Nicolas Cellier's porting it to Squeak for us. (Nicolas, do you need a
hand?)

frank

Re: <script language="smalltalk">

Nicolas Cellier
2010/11/24 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:

> On 2010/11/24 00:02, Chris Cunnington wrote:
>>
>> I think the browser, the DOM, and JavaScript can't be pried apart. The
>> public API to the DOM IS JavaScript, so fighting that is not worth it.
>>
>> Instead, go with it. Use a translation layer between Smalltalk and the
>> JavaScript.
>>
>> That means a parser. That means OMeta, because it treats JavaScript as
>> Assembly. And a Smalltalk parser for OMeta has been written. I made a
>> movie about it.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2dyLKP_xJc
>>
>> I'd say that the trick would be baking OMeta and the Smalltalk parser
>> into a binary that could be loaded into a browser as a plugin.
>
> Xtreams also has a Javascript parser, which WebVelocity makes extensive use
> of.
>
> Nicolas Cellier's porting it to Squeak for us. (Nicolas, do you need a
> hand?)
>
> frank

I don't have time to work on it by now.
The PEG part is not ported, but it should be fairly easy (maybe
consistency between handling of pragmas has to be checked first).
By now I let the repository opened to anyone, if volunteers are
interested, I can transfer the admin rights.

Nicolas

Re: <script language="smalltalk">

Colin Putney-3
On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Chris Cunnington
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think the browser, the DOM, and JavaScript can't be pried apart. The
> public API to the DOM IS JavaScript, so fighting that is not worth it.
>
> Instead, go with it. Use a translation layer between Smalltalk and the
> JavaScript.
>
> That means a parser. That means OMeta, because it treats JavaScript as
> Assembly.

Nah, there are other options. See for example, Clamato:

http://www.clamato.net/

It provides a rendering API similar to one used by Seaside, but based on jQuery.

Colin

Re: <script language="smalltalk">

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Igor,

>i just wanna know, what you thinking about subject?
>How easy/hard to integrate smalltalk VM into browsers? It it feasible?
>I know, there is (or was) a Squeak browser plugin. But it provides a
>functionality like java, but not like javascript.
>While i thinking, that it would be cool to use smalltalk directly in
>pages, as javascript.
>It could open quite interesting possibilities.
>What you think?

You should take a look at Etoys at: http://www.squeakland.org/.  It has a
plugin that can run Etoys projects in a web browser.  I don't know much
about it but I know it works.  If you download and install Etoys, you will
have the plugin, then you can run Etoys projects from your browser
(Firefox, Chrome and Safari work but for some reason Opera is broken).
There is a sample project right on the main squeakland page that you can
try.

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.