sixteen items for Squeakland 2012 - item 7: Single step debugger

sixteen items for Squeakland 2012 - item 7: Single step debugger

Ricardo Moran

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Scott Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
7. Single Step Debugger

Hi, I made a new picture for the step button in the script editors. A new project is attached for you to test and review.

The new button looks like this:
StepMe.png

and the old one:
StepMe (bug).png

Of course, it's up to you to decide which form to use (or propose a new one).
I don't really care much for the button's form anyway, but I'm *very* interested in the "stepping" feature.

Cheers,
Richo

StepOver.002.pr (87K) Download Attachment

Re: [etoys-dev] sixteen items for Squeakland 2012 - item 7: Single step debugger

Karl Ramberg

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Scott Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
7. Single Step Debugger

Hi, I made a new picture for the step button in the script editors. A new project is attached for you to test and review.

The new button looks like this:
StepMe.png

and the old one:
StepMe (bug).png

Of course, it's up to you to decide which form to use (or propose a new one).
I don't really care much for the button's form anyway, but I'm *very* interested in the "stepping" feature.

New button is nice. but it must have a little bigger gap between the triangle and the line.
See scaled screen cap where the two elements blend together.

But we also have the ! button. And the Step button in the AllScriptsTool

Should we add a new button for single stepping or should we repurpose a old button ?

Karl

sceen.JPG (34K) Download Attachment

Re: [etoys-dev] sixteen items for Squeakland 2012 - item 7: Single step debugger

Steve Thomas
Okay, so I realize this is not a simple request, but ...
Can we have a Step Backward in addition to Step forward?

Like in the Online Python Tutor (which is really cool in helping make the invisible visible and giving kids an idea of what is going on inside the computer).

Stephen

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 6:04 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 8:04 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
(...)
New button is nice. but it must have a little bigger gap between the triangle and the line.
See scaled screen cap where the two elements blend together.

How about now? I made the gap 2 pixels wide.

But we also have the ! button. And the Step button in the AllScriptsTool

Should we add a new button for single stepping or should we repurpose a old button ?

I think the ! button serves a different purpose and we can't use it, and IMHO the Step button in the AllScriptsTool looks really ugly on the script editor :)

If we are going to reuse an old button, I think the book's next page looks quite nice.

Cheers,
Richo

Karl

StepOver.003.pr (93K) Download Attachment

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay, so I realize this is not a simple request, but ...
Can we have a Step Backward in addition to Step forward?

I think it can be done, we should find a way to undo the last tile. I know Etoys has an undo feature but I never looked at it and I don't know if it works, maybe we can reuse it.

Like in the Online Python Tutor (which is really cool in helping make the invisible visible and giving kids an idea of what is going on inside the computer).

Nice! I didn't know about it

Cheers,
Richo

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 8:04 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (...)
>>
>> New button is nice. but it must have a little bigger gap between the
>> triangle and the line.
>> See scaled screen cap where the two elements blend together.
>

> How about now? I made the gap 2 pixels wide.

Gap i nicer now when I scale down the screen.

>> But we also have the ! button. And the Step button in the AllScriptsTool
>>
>> Should we add a new button for single stepping or should we repurpose a
>> old button ?
>

> I think the ! button serves a different purpose and we can't use it, and
> IMHO the Step button in the AllScriptsTool looks really ugly on the script
> editor :)

Yaeh, some og the old widgets look a bit strange.
I think we can use the buttons asthey are..

> If we are going to reuse an old button, I think the book's next page looks
> quite nice.

I tested one edge case that we have to look at.
The World viewer has a value 'batch pentrails'.

When that is true, the script just pit the player at the last position
in the script.

The stepper goes trough each line, so the result differs.

So a script:

car forward: 50
car turn: 90
car forward: 50
car turn: 90
car forward: 50
car turn: 90
car forward: 50
car turn: 90

You will get different results for single stepping and other execution
of that method.

Karl

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

I tested one edge case that we have to look at.
The World viewer has a value 'batch pentrails'.

When that is true, the script just pit the player at the last position
in the script.

The stepper goes trough each line, so the result differs.

So a script:

car forward: 50
car turn: 90
car forward: 50
car turn: 90
car forward: 50
car turn: 90
car forward: 50
car turn: 90

You will get different results for single stepping and other execution
of that method.

Good catch! I never used the batch pen trails option, I didn't even know about its existence!

I have no clue how to fix it, though. Any suggestion?

Richo

Karl

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Maybe, if #bathPenTrails is on, save the player's position before the first tile, move it always with pen up and only draw after the last tile?

Richo

Karl