sixteen items for Squeakland 2012 - item 9: ScratchConnect

sixteen items for Squeakland 2012 - item 9: ScratchConnect

Ricardo Moran

9. Add Koji Yokokawa's ScratchConnect (game controls and game displays)
This will allow kids to create “game controllers” using Etoys Projects on one set of computers to control a “game display” (another Etoys or Scratch Project) on another computer.

Hi, I've been looking at ScratchConnect (http://www.squeaksource.com/ScratchConnect.html) and I think it would be cool if we can include it in the release. I think the code seems fine. Although it doesn't follow the Etoys pattern of adding methods directly to Player, I don't think this minor difference is important enough to fork it.

The other problem is the license, I haven't found any info about it yet. Should we ask the author about it?

Cheers,
Richo

Re: sixteen items for Squeakland 2012 - item 9: ScratchConnect

Scott Wallace
On Feb 28, 2012, at 1:35 PM, Ricardo Moran wrote:

9. Add Koji Yokokawa's ScratchConnect (game controls and game displays)
This will allow kids to create “game controllers” using Etoys Projects on one set of computers to control a “game display” (another Etoys or Scratch Project) on another computer.

Hi, I've been looking at ScratchConnect (http://www.squeaksource.com/ScratchConnect.html) and I think it would be cool if we can include it in the release. I think the code seems fine. Although it doesn't follow the Etoys pattern of adding methods directly to Player, I don't think this minor difference is important enough to fork it.

The other problem is the license, I haven't found any info about it yet. Should we ask the author about it?

Cheers,
Richo

I emailed to Koji-san several days ago asking him about the license, but have not heard back.

Not sure where that leaves us, but presumably we can't/shouldn't incorporate ScratchConnect into our 5.0 release unless/until we hear from him that the license is MIT.

Perhaps someone else, preferably someone Koji-san knows personally, might have another try at contacting him.

 -- Scott