some news

12

some news

stéphane ducasse-2
about etoy in python....

Begin forwarded message:

> Blog de Mark Shuttleworth:
>
> "Suffice it to say that after two days in the bunker, I think we
> did brilliantly! I saw real bridges being built between Alan and
> Guido, two great men who's collaboration might give us the tools to
> teach logic from the earliest days of education (think of 5 year-
> olds writing code visually) through to high level instruction (we
> all know how effective Python is for university type problems,
> right?). Instead of fighting over turf or syntax, I sensed a
> genuine willingness to synthesize the best work from both camps
> into something that could have both Python's pop-culture widespread
> appeal, and pedagogical foundations that build on years of Alan's
> experience in the Squeak world. The mouse might yet become the
> snake's strongest ally."

Re: some news

Alan Kay
That would be a very good thing if it could happen. Let's hope.

Cheers,

Alan

-----------

At 11:47 PM 4/19/2006, stéphane ducasse wrote:

>about etoy in python....
>
>Begin forwarded message:
>
>>Blog de Mark Shuttleworth:
>>
>>"Suffice it to say that after two days in the bunker, I think we
>>did brilliantly! I saw real bridges being built between Alan and
>>Guido, two great men who's collaboration might give us the tools to
>>teach logic from the earliest days of education (think of 5 year- olds
>>writing code visually) through to high level instruction (we
>>all know how effective Python is for university type problems,
>>right?). Instead of fighting over turf or syntax, I sensed a
>>genuine willingness to synthesize the best work from both camps
>>into something that could have both Python's pop-culture widespread
>>appeal, and pedagogical foundations that build on years of Alan's
>>experience in the Squeak world. The mouse might yet become the
>>snake's strongest ally."

Re: some news

Bert Freudenberg-3
Here's Guido van Rossum's take on it:

        http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2006-April/006178.html

- Bert -

Am 20.04.2006 um 12:23 schrieb Alan Kay:

> That would be a very good thing if it could happen. Let's hope.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>
> -----------
>
> At 11:47 PM 4/19/2006, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>> about etoy in python....
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> Blog de Mark Shuttleworth:
>>>
>>> "Suffice it to say that after two days in the bunker, I think we
>>> did brilliantly! I saw real bridges being built between Alan and
>>> Guido, two great men who's collaboration might give us the tools to
>>> teach logic from the earliest days of education (think of 5 year-
>>> olds writing code visually) through to high level instruction (we
>>> all know how effective Python is for university type problems,
>>> right?). Instead of fighting over turf or syntax, I sensed a
>>> genuine willingness to synthesize the best work from both camps
>>> into something that could have both Python's pop-culture widespread
>>> appeal, and pedagogical foundations that build on years of Alan's
>>> experience in the Squeak world. The mouse might yet become the
>>> snake's strongest ally."

Re: some news

Alan Kay
That's an accurate rendition of where we got to, and I think his notion
that the first thing to do is to make a comprehensive graphics environment
first is absolutely right. It will be good for Python generally and will
benefit what can be done for the children.

Cheers,

Alan

At 05:03 AM 4/21/2006, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>Here's Guido van Rossum's take on it:
>
>         http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2006-April/006178.html
>
>- Bert -
>

>Am 20.04.2006 um 12:23 schrieb Alan Kay:
>
>>That would be a very good thing if it could happen. Let's hope.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Alan
>>
>>-----------
>>
>>At 11:47 PM 4/19/2006, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>>>about etoy in python....
>>>
>>>Begin forwarded message:

Re: some news

Hilaire Fernandes-5
It's sad!

The message suggests spending time and resources writing things already
existing in Squeak. It's a shame as it could mean spending tight
resources in things already done. Definitively this will not help
children and one can not pretend doing so for them.

Hilaire

Bert Freudenberg a écrit :

> Here's Guido van Rossum's take on it:
>
>     http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2006-April/006178.html
>
> - Bert -
>

> Am 20.04.2006 um 12:23 schrieb Alan Kay:
>
>> That would be a very good thing if it could happen. Let's hope.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> -----------
>>
>> At 11:47 PM 4/19/2006, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> about etoy in python....
>>>
>>> Begin forwarded message:

Re: some news

Alan Kay
Yes, if only the world -- especially computer people -- were even halfway
rational and interesting in learning ... but this is one of the main goals
of education (= enlightenment, etc.), and this is why global education for
everyone has been my main interest over the years.

As Seymour once said, "I wish the US was still a developing country!"). We
could say that about Europe also....

Cheers,

Alan

At 03:11 PM 4/21/2006, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

>It's sad!
>
>The message suggests spending time and resources writing things already
>existing in Squeak. It's a shame as it could mean spending tight
>resources in things already done. Definitively this will not help
>children and one can not pretend doing so for them.
>
>Hilaire
>
>Bert Freudenberg a écrit :
> > Here's Guido van Rossum's take on it:
> >
> >     http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2006-April/006178.html
> >
> > - Bert -
> >

> > Am 20.04.2006 um 12:23 schrieb Alan Kay:
> >
> >> That would be a very good thing if it could happen. Let's hope.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Alan
> >>
> >> -----------

Re: some news

stéphane ducasse-2
If you think about it the sad part is not really there.
I do not believe that teaching etoy, logo, botsinc really help kids
learning maths as with a teacher: They have fun, they are emerged
into maths, they are not afraid which is already a lot.  Instead of
investing in language people should invest
in contents: the right exercise to teach the right concepts.
Right now what you see (even if etoy) is that they are really few
good material. I translated the book of Kim and some french teachers
were happy and then asked the killing question: the start was fun so
what where is the contents?
Besides driving a car....(i pointed them to the graph basket ball
thingies but this is not enough).
So if Ubuntu people think that they can substitute the writing and
development of a math curriculum, with
a "come with me play stuff" developed in any language, this means
that this is a view of programmer (bold of course and full of
enthousiasm) and I wish them success, because I think that the
contents in any format is more important.

May living and being surrounded by teachers biaised my view of the
world...

Re: some news

Hans N Beck
Hi Stef,

just for understanding - you and Alan want to say that

- everyone which is interested is welcomed for giving new ideas how
to make education, regardless of his favoured system/language
- the implementation is not important - if someone want to use
python, to bring in his ideas he should do so
- reinventing or reengineering always gives the chance to think  once
more about it - from a new point of view. Nothing is really ready.

Something like this ?

Regards

Hans

Am 22.04.2006 um 09:14 schrieb stéphane ducasse:

> If you think about it the sad part is not really there.
> I do not believe that teaching etoy, logo, botsinc really help kids
> learning maths as with a teacher: They have fun, they are emerged
> into maths, they are not afraid which is already a lot.  Instead of
> investing in language people should invest
> in contents: the right exercise to teach the right concepts.
> Right now what you see (even if etoy) is that they are really few
> good material. I translated the book of Kim and some french
> teachers were happy and then asked the killing question: the start
> was fun so what where is the contents?
> Besides driving a car....(i pointed them to the graph basket ball
> thingies but this is not enough).
> So if Ubuntu people think that they can substitute the writing and
> development of a math curriculum, with
> a "come with me play stuff" developed in any language, this means
> that this is a view of programmer (bold of course and full of
> enthousiasm) and I wish them success, because I think that the
> contents in any format is more important.
>
> May living and being surrounded by teachers biaised my view of the
> world...

Re: some news

stéphane ducasse-2
What hilaire and me said is that pushing the idea that python people
should reimplement squeak and etoys
is not really cool for our community, let us face it! The point was
not to push your own language and fight for that, just to show
the good aspects you have. So it was surprising and boring after a
while to hear Alan systematically saying that they should redo
everything in Python. I feel that this is counter productive and this
is also why I say that if their goal is to teach maths to kids
then they should focus on the contents not on the technology, so if I
would have the same goal I would build a set of cool tools:
Kara, BostInc, Logo, Etoys, Karel, DrScheme, Python... and encourage
the building of contents and not to focus on
a technology.

I strongly believe that the effort we are doing to tighen up Squeak
will help people to build new environment and new environments for
kids too. For example the Pier logo wiki is a clear example of that.
The work that Craig is doing can be the foundation for a really tiny
core on top of which we could build a complete new set
of worlds, Sophie and Tweak are also really sexy and we should find a
way to integrate that (I'm really for helping moving
Tweak when it is ready into Squeak if Tweakers want that).

Then hearing argument that python is the way to go because they are
mainstream was fun (because you can always use an argument only when
it is ok to apply it to you), because C or Java are much more
mainstream.

Now there are a lot of cool material already existing in Scheme for
example (Structure and interpretation of computer program, how to
design program to name a few with the excellent DrScheme
environment). Now of course you can reimplement everything in your
own cool language because this is the only one that is important and
mainstream.

> Hi Stef,
>
> just for understanding - you and Alan want to say that
>
> - everyone which is interested is welcomed for giving new ideas how
> to make education, regardless of his favoured system/language
> - the implementation is not important - if someone want to use
> python, to bring in his ideas he should do so
> - reinventing or reengineering always gives the chance to think
> once more about it - from a new point of view. Nothing is really
> ready.
>

> Something like this ?
>
> Regards
>
> Hans
>
> Am 22.04.2006 um 09:14 schrieb stéphane ducasse:
>
>> If you think about it the sad part is not really there.
>> I do not believe that teaching etoy, logo, botsinc really help
>> kids learning maths as with a teacher: They have fun, they are
>> emerged into maths, they are not afraid which is already a lot.
>> Instead of investing in language people should invest
>> in contents: the right exercise to teach the right concepts.
>> Right now what you see (even if etoy) is that they are really few
>> good material. I translated the book of Kim and some french
>> teachers were happy and then asked the killing question: the start
>> was fun so what where is the contents?
>> Besides driving a car....(i pointed them to the graph basket ball
>> thingies but this is not enough).
>> So if Ubuntu people think that they can substitute the writing and
>> development of a math curriculum, with
>> a "come with me play stuff" developed in any language, this means
>> that this is a view of programmer (bold of course and full of
>> enthousiasm) and I wish them success, because I think that the
>> contents in any format is more important.
>>
>> May living and being surrounded by teachers biaised my view of the
>> world...

Re: some news

Hans N Beck
Hi Stef,

now is much more clear, thanks :-) So my 2 cents:

I think it is right that content is the important part. Content
understood as knowledge elements (to teach) and their didactics.
But it would not break "us" (the squeakers) to make content, if
someone "out there" rethink about the same tools. Perhaps there are
coming new insights about the tools from this kind of reeingeering ?
I would have more trouble if a quarter of all squeakers now go to
Python ;-)

Regards

Hans

Am 22.04.2006 um 10:34 schrieb stéphane ducasse:

> [...]
>>> Instead of investing in language people should invest
>>> in contents: the right exercise to teach the right concepts.
>>> Right now what you see (even if etoy) is that they are really few
>>> good material. I translated the book of Kim and some french
>>> teachers were happy and then asked the killing question: the
>>> start was fun so what where is the contents?
>>> Besides driving a car....(i pointed them to the graph basket ball
>>> thingies but this is not enough).
>>> So if Ubuntu people think that they can substitute the writing
>>> and development of a math curriculum, with
>>> a "come with me play stuff" developed in any language, this means
>>> that this is a view of programmer (bold of course and full of
>>> enthousiasm) and I wish them success, because I think that the
>>> contents in any format is more important.
>>>
>>> May living and being surrounded by teachers biaised my view of

Re: some news

Alan Kay
I agree that content is really important, and even more so is mentoring.
The language is less so providing it doesn't develop limited ideas (like
BASIC did).

Squeak was 10 years ago to make a system for children, parents and teachers
that could allow learning by doing, but also as a publishing and
communications medium: specifically, the goal was to get 1000 pieces of
21st century content out on the net in a form that would allow learning by
doing and collaboration.

This didn't happen -- but I'm hoping it will, even 5 or more years late. It
would be great if more people (programmers) were interested in the larger
destinies of computing.

This is why it is not important whether it is Squeak or not. If the Python
folks come up with the energy and will to do this, I will certainly help
them. Surely, real progress is more important than taking one's identity
from the low level language one programs in.

Cheers,

Alan

At 12:14 AM 4/22/2006, stéphane ducasse wrote:

>If you think about it the sad part is not really there.
>I do not believe that teaching etoy, logo, botsinc really help kids
>learning maths as with a teacher: They have fun, they are emerged
>into maths, they are not afraid which is already a lot.  Instead of
>investing in language people should invest
>in contents: the right exercise to teach the right concepts.
>Right now what you see (even if etoy) is that they are really few
>good material. I translated the book of Kim and some french teachers
>were happy and then asked the killing question: the start was fun so
>what where is the contents?
>Besides driving a car....(i pointed them to the graph basket ball
>thingies but this is not enough).
>So if Ubuntu people think that they can substitute the writing and
>development of a math curriculum, with
>a "come with me play stuff" developed in any language, this means
>that this is a view of programmer (bold of course and full of
>enthousiasm) and I wish them success, because I think that the
>contents in any format is more important.
>
>May living and being surrounded by teachers biaised my view of the
>world...

Re: some news

Alan Kay
Exactly! Thanks. We need progress in our field from anywhere, and we should
help anyone who wants to help make progress.

Cheers,

Alan

---------

At 12:33 AM 4/22/2006, Hans N Beck wrote:

>Hi Stef,
>
>just for understanding - you and Alan want to say that
>
>- everyone which is interested is welcomed for giving new ideas how
>to make education, regardless of his favoured system/language
>- the implementation is not important - if someone want to use
>python, to bring in his ideas he should do so
>- reinventing or reengineering always gives the chance to think  once
>more about it - from a new point of view. Nothing is really ready.
>

>Something like this ?
>
>Regards
>
>Hans
>
>Am 22.04.2006 um 09:14 schrieb stéphane ducasse:
>
>>If you think about it the sad part is not really there.
>>I do not believe that teaching etoy, logo, botsinc really help kids
>>learning maths as with a teacher: They have fun, they are emerged
>>into maths, they are not afraid which is already a lot.  Instead of
>>investing in language people should invest
>>in contents: the right exercise to teach the right concepts.
>>Right now what you see (even if etoy) is that they are really few
>>good material. I translated the book of Kim and some french
>>teachers were happy and then asked the killing question: the start
>>was fun so what where is the contents?
>>Besides driving a car....(i pointed them to the graph basket ball
>>thingies but this is not enough).
>>So if Ubuntu people think that they can substitute the writing and
>>development of a math curriculum, with
>>a "come with me play stuff" developed in any language, this means
>>that this is a view of programmer (bold of course and full of
>>enthousiasm) and I wish them success, because I think that the
>>contents in any format is more important.
>>
>>May living and being surrounded by teachers biaised my view of the
>>world...

Re: some news

Alan Kay
Hi --

Hans expressed the real point here.

Etoys was a demo and a prototype. It is a real tribute to Squeak (and the
team) that it was actually shippable around the world. But it is not a
production system, and it is not scalable to the hundred dollar laptop as
it stands. It needs to be reimplemented, and many parts have to be
improved. We have been doing some of this (and the results are interesting)
but we have to take every avenue to get a scalable version that can be
taken care of by more production like people.

A lot of today's computing (including in the Squeak community) is summed up
by the following quote from Robert Heinlein: "The bull gets fascinated by
the cape and fails to see the sword!"

Cheers,

Alan

---------

At 01:34 AM 4/22/2006, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> [...]
>>>Instead of investing in language people should invest
>>>in contents: the right exercise to teach the right concepts.
>>>Right now what you see (even if etoy) is that they are really few
>>>good material. I translated the book of Kim and some french
>>>teachers were happy and then asked the killing question: the start
>>>was fun so what where is the contents?
>>>Besides driving a car....(i pointed them to the graph basket ball
>>>thingies but this is not enough).
>>>So if Ubuntu people think that they can substitute the writing and
>>>development of a math curriculum, with
>>>a "come with me play stuff" developed in any language, this means
>>>that this is a view of programmer (bold of course and full of
>>>enthousiasm) and I wish them success, because I think that the
>>>contents in any format is more important.
>>>
>>>May living and being surrounded by teachers biaised my view of the

Re: some news

Alan Kay
Again, I agree.

Cheers,

Alan

----------

At 02:54 AM 4/22/2006, Hans N Beck wrote:

> [...]
>>mainstream.
>>
>>Now there are a lot of cool material already existing in Scheme for
>>example (Structure and interpretation of computer program, how to
>>design program to name a few with the excellent DrScheme
>>environment). Now of course you can reimplement everything in your
>>own cool language because this is the only one that is important
>>and mainstream.
>>

>>>Hi Stef,
>>>
>>>just for understanding - you and Alan want to say that
>>>
>>>- everyone which is interested is welcomed for giving new ideas
>>>how to make education, regardless of his favoured system/language
>>>- the implementation is not important - if someone want to use
>>>python, to bring in his ideas he should do so
>>>- reinventing or reengineering always gives the chance to think
>>>once more about it - from a new point of view. Nothing is really

Re: some news

Hilaire Fernandes-5

Alan Kay a écrit :

> I agree that content is really important, and even more so is mentoring.
> The language is less so providing it doesn't develop limited ideas (like
> BASIC did).
>
> Squeak was 10 years ago to make a system for children, parents and
> teachers that could allow learning by doing, but also as a publishing
> and communications medium: specifically, the goal was to get 1000 pieces
> of 21st century content out on the net in a form that would allow
> learning by doing and collaboration.
>
> This didn't happen -- but I'm hoping it will, even 5 or more years late.
> It would be great if more people (programmers) were interested in the
> larger destinies of computing.

Why did this not happen? Studying this question could be important to
not redo the same mistake; if it is considered as a failure.

Hilaire

Re: some news

Hilaire Fernandes-5
Alan Kay a écrit :
> Yes, if only the world -- especially computer people -- were even
> halfway rational and interesting in learning ... but this is one of the
> main goals of education (= enlightenment, etc.), and this is why global
> education for everyone has been my main interest over the years.
>
> As Seymour once said, "I wish the US was still a developing country!").
> We could say that about Europe also....

Hum, not sure to understand. In developping country, one related problem
to education is to avoid children suffer from anemia, which make them
unable to concentrate on anything.

Hilaire

RE: some news

Alan L. Lovejoy
Alan Kay> As Seymour once said, "I wish the US was still a developing
country!").
> We could say that about Europe also....

Hilaire: "Hum, not sure to understand. "

My reading of what Seymour said (as quoted by Alan K.) was that the term
"developing country" is a pun.  The phrase "developing country," instead of
having its usual meaning, refers to the fact that the US is no longer a
country interested in positive change ("development,") and is instead a
place where ideas, attitudes and the level of enlightenment are static.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but that is how I read it.

--Alan L.

> Yes, if only the world -- especially computer people -- were even
> halfway rational and interesting in learning ... but this is one of
> the main goals of education (= enlightenment, etc.), and this is why
> global education for everyone has been my main interest over the years.
>
> As Seymour once said, "I wish the US was still a developing country!").
> We could say that about Europe also....

Hum, not sure to understand. In developping country, one related problem to
education is to avoid children suffer from anemia, which make them unable to
concentrate on anything.

Hilaire

Re: some news

Alan Kay
We have television instead of anemia, but it has a similar effect ...

Cheers,

Alan

-------------

At 07:06 AM 4/22/2006, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

>Alan Kay a écrit :
> > Yes, if only the world -- especially computer people -- were even
> > halfway rational and interesting in learning ... but this is one of the
> > main goals of education (= enlightenment, etc.), and this is why global
> > education for everyone has been my main interest over the years.
> >
> > As Seymour once said, "I wish the US was still a developing country!").
> > We could say that about Europe also....
>
>Hum, not sure to understand. In developping country, one related problem
>to education is to avoid children suffer from anemia, which make them
>unable to concentrate on anything.
>
>Hilaire

RE: some news

Alan Kay
You've got it. The US thinks it is "there", and this is the most disastrous
attitude to have, either at the level of a country (or a programming language).

Cheers,

Alan

---------
At 07:13 AM 4/22/2006, Alan Lovejoy wrote:

>Alan Kay> As Seymour once said, "I wish the US was still a developing
>country!").
> > We could say that about Europe also....
>
>Hilaire: "Hum, not sure to understand. "
>
>My reading of what Seymour said (as quoted by Alan K.) was that the term
>"developing country" is a pun.  The phrase "developing country," instead of
>having its usual meaning, refers to the fact that the US is no longer a
>country interested in positive change ("development,") and is instead a
>place where ideas, attitudes and the level of enlightenment are static.
>
>Perhaps I'm wrong, but that is how I read it.
>
>--Alan L.

Re: some news

Randal L. Schwartz

Alan> You've got it. The US thinks it is "there", and this is the most
Alan> disastrous attitude to have, either at the level of a country (or a
Alan> programming language).

And we think we can give democracy to other countries.  However, apparently
the total amount of democracy in the world is a constant, bceause we had to
slowly reduce our own to do that. :)

12