source.squeak.org is _slow_

Frank Shearar-3
Like, minutes to upload something through the web interface slow.
Copying through an MC browser is much faster, where "much faster"
means "on the order of 30 seconds".

frank

Re: source.squeak.org is _slow_

Bert Freudenberg
On 2012-12-18, at 19:39, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Like, minutes to upload something through the web interface slow.
> Copying through an MC browser is much faster, where "much faster"
> means "on the order of 30 seconds".
>
> frank

You mean after clicking the "move version" button to move a version from inbox to trunk, it takes minutes to finish?

- Bert -

Re: source.squeak.org is _slow_

Frank Shearar-3
On 18 December 2012 20:11, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2012-12-18, at 19:39, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Like, minutes to upload something through the web interface slow.
>> Copying through an MC browser is much faster, where "much faster"
>> means "on the order of 30 seconds".
>>
>> frank
>
> You mean after clicking the "move version" button to move a version from inbox to trunk, it takes minutes to finish?

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant rather than uploading. I also noticed
general requests like trying to open source.squeak.org to find out why
things are so slow, were also really slow. Some eventually timed out,
with proxy errors. (I don't have the errors to hand; they're at work.)

frank

> - Bert -

Re: source.squeak.org is _slow_

Chris Muller-3
Hi Frank.  To the best you can, if you can try to stack up several
changes per package version it will help slow our suffering by
SqueakSource's scalability issue until a solution can be found.
Morphic, in particular, is a very extra-chunky-sized package..

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18 December 2012 20:11, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2012-12-18, at 19:39, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Like, minutes to upload something through the web interface slow.
>>> Copying through an MC browser is much faster, where "much faster"
>>> means "on the order of 30 seconds".
>>>
>>> frank
>>
>> You mean after clicking the "move version" button to move a version from inbox to trunk, it takes minutes to finish?
>
> Yes, sorry, that's what I meant rather than uploading. I also noticed
> general requests like trying to open source.squeak.org to find out why
> things are so slow, were also really slow. Some eventually timed out,
> with proxy errors. (I don't have the errors to hand; they're at work.)
>
> frank
>
>> - Bert -

Re: source.squeak.org is _slow_

Frank Shearar-3
On 19 December 2012 02:20, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Frank.  To the best you can, if you can try to stack up several
> changes per package version it will help slow our suffering by
> SqueakSource's scalability issue until a solution can be found.

In this particular case that approach wouldn't have worked, but sure, OK.

> Morphic, in particular, is a very extra-chunky-sized package..

Oh of course, I should have realised that would throw out any
comparison between copying Morphic through the web interface and
copying tiny little ReleaseBuilder through the MC Browser. Mm, so I'd
have to adjust my complaint to "if only there was a progress bar or
something". Ah well, the main thing is that I thought I'd crashed the
site!

frank