space invaders in Smalltalk?

Ralph Boland
I am looking at open source versions of space invaders games.
I am contemplating making modifications to the game to make it
more educational in a mathematical sort of way.   I have found
one version in Python but now I am wondering if there are any
Smalltalk versions of space invaders or its variants.

It would be more fun to do this in Smalltalk (preferably Squeak
or Pharo) than in Python.

Other interested parties welcome.

Ralph Boland

God flunked Intelligent Design

Re: space invaders in Smalltalk?

LawsonEnglish
I've got a partially working version of Asteroids for squeak on OpenGL
as part of My OpenGL tutorials package. I believe that you can search
squeaksource and find a space invaders game written entirely in Morphic,
which is probably slow but suitable for teaching.

My package is on the Open Cobalt repository at
http://www.opencobalt.org   /contributions  repository directory.

Lawson

On 1/21/12 4:38 PM, Ralph Boland wrote:

> I am looking at open source versions of space invaders games.
> I am contemplating making modifications to the game to make it
> more educational in a mathematical sort of way.   I have found
> one version in Python but now I am wondering if there are any
> Smalltalk versions of space invaders or its variants.
>
> It would be more fun to do this in Smalltalk (preferably Squeak
> or Pharo) than in Python.
>

> Other interested parties welcome.
>
> Ralph Boland

Re: space invaders in Smalltalk?

Hans-Martin Mosner
Am 22.01.2012 00:38, schrieb Ralph Boland:

> I am looking at open source versions of space invaders games.
> I am contemplating making modifications to the game to make it
> more educational in a mathematical sort of way.   I have found
> one version in Python but now I am wondering if there are any
> Smalltalk versions of space invaders or its variants.
>
> It would be more fun to do this in Smalltalk (preferably Squeak
> or Pharo) than in Python.
>

> Other interested parties welcome.
>
> Ralph Boland

A very long time ago I implemented an 8080 emulator in Squeak that could run the original space invaders.
I would need to search whether I still have it.
But this is probably not what you're looking for :-)

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Re: space invaders in Smalltalk?

Karl Ramberg
There are some Break Out games that are quite nice:
http://www.squeaksource.com/BreakOut.html
http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/projects/olpc/

I made a Space Invader tutorial for Etoys a long time a go but I don't have it around any more.

Karl

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Hans-Martin Mosner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 22.01.2012 00:38, schrieb Ralph Boland:
> I am looking at open source versions of space invaders games.
> I am contemplating making modifications to the game to make it
> more educational in a mathematical sort of way.   I have found
> one version in Python but now I am wondering if there are any
> Smalltalk versions of space invaders or its variants.
>
> It would be more fun to do this in Smalltalk (preferably Squeak
> or Pharo) than in Python.
>

> Other interested parties welcome.
>
> Ralph Boland

A very long time ago I implemented an 8080 emulator in Squeak that could run the original space invaders.
I would need to search whether I still have it.
But this is probably not what you're looking for :-)

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Re: space invaders in Smalltalk?

Nicolas Cellier
There is http://simberon.blogspot.com/2012/01/space-wars-game.html but
it is based on VisualWorks.
No idea how hard a port to Morphic would be

Nicolas