squeak 4.1 no mouse pointer in ubuntu 10.04

squeak 4.1 no mouse pointer in ubuntu 10.04

Wolfgang Eder

hello,
i have installed squeak4.1 from
http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386.sh
(i had to do a sudo sh Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386.sh)
under ubuntu 10.04.
everything seems to work ok except i do not see a mouse pointer
when the cursor enters the window.
the mouse works ok, i can use world menu etc, just without
the pointer.

can anybody give me a hint of what might be wrong?
thanks very much,
wolfgang

Re: squeak 4.1 no mouse pointer in ubuntu 10.04

David T. Lewis

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 10:57:51AM +0200, Wolfgang Eder wrote:

> hello,
> i have installed squeak4.1 from
> http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386.sh
> (i had to do a sudo sh Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386.sh)
> under ubuntu 10.04.
> everything seems to work ok except i do not see a mouse pointer
> when the cursor enters the window.
> the mouse works ok, i can use world menu etc, just without
> the pointer.
>
> can anybody give me a hint of what might be wrong?

I have not ever heard of this happening, so I can't say what it
might be. Can you say if the problem is associated with the VM
or with the image? In other words, if you run some other Squeak
image using this same VM, does it work? Or if you install a
different version of the VM, does the Squeak 4.1 image work?

Dave

On 10.05.2010 12:07, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 10:57:51AM +0200, Wolfgang Eder wrote:
>>
>> hello,
>> i have installed squeak4.1 from
>> http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386.sh
>> (i had to do a sudo sh Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386.sh)
>> under ubuntu 10.04.
>> everything seems to work ok except i do not see a mouse pointer
>> when the cursor enters the window.
>> the mouse works ok, i can use world menu etc, just without
>> the pointer.
>>
>> can anybody give me a hint of what might be wrong?
>
> I have not ever heard of this happening, so I can't say what it
> might be. Can you say if the problem is associated with the VM
> or with the image? In other words, if you run some other Squeak
> image using this same VM, does it work? Or if you install a
> different version of the VM, does the Squeak 4.1 image work?
>
> Dave

i tried installing, using the ubuntu software center,
the official "Squeak" and "eToys" packages.
both give me the same behaviour as described in the
original bug report.
(the vm is in /usr/lib/squeak/3.11.3.-2147,
so i guess that is the vm version i am using).

i am using ubuntu 10.04 on an oldish sony vaio z600,
ca 600mhz cpu, 500mb ram

any help or hint is very much appreciated.
thanks,
wolfgang

Re: squeak 4.1 no mouse pointer in ubuntu 10.04

Wolfgang Eder

[snip]
On 11.05.2010 23:28, Wolfgang Eder wrote:

> i tried installing, using the ubuntu software center,
> the official "Squeak" and "eToys" packages.
> both give me the same behaviour as described in the
> original bug report.
> (the vm is in /usr/lib/squeak/3.11.3.-2147,
> so i guess that is the vm version i am using).
>
> i am using ubuntu 10.04 on an oldish sony vaio z600,
> ca 600mhz cpu, 500mb ram
>
> any help or hint is very much appreciated.
> thanks,
> wolfgang

for the records, i get the same behavior with the
latest scratch install from scratch.mit.edu.
thanks,
wolfgang

Re: squeak 4.1 no mouse pointer in ubuntu 10.04

Bert Freudenberg

Am 11.05.2010 um 15:16 schrieb Wolfgang Eder:

> [snip]
> On 11.05.2010 23:28, Wolfgang Eder wrote:
>> i tried installing, using the ubuntu software center,
>> the official "Squeak" and "eToys" packages.
>> both give me the same behaviour as described in the
>> original bug report.
>> (the vm is in /usr/lib/squeak/3.11.3.-2147,
>> so i guess that is the vm version i am using).
>>
>> i am using ubuntu 10.04 on an oldish sony vaio z600,
>> ca 600mhz cpu, 500mb ram
>>
>> any help or hint is very much appreciated.
>> thanks,
>> wolfgang
>>
> for the records, i get the same behavior with the
> latest scratch install from scratch.mit.edu.
> thanks,
> wolfgang

Since I never saw anybody else report this, I'd suspect a problem in your display driver, rather than the Squeak VM.

- Bert -

Re: squeak 4.1 no mouse pointer in ubuntu 10.04

Derek O'Connell-2

On 11/05/10 23:16, Wolfgang Eder wrote:

> [snip]
> On 11.05.2010 23:28, Wolfgang Eder wrote:
>> i tried installing, using the ubuntu software center,
>> the official "Squeak" and "eToys" packages.
>> both give me the same behaviour as described in the
>> original bug report.
>> (the vm is in /usr/lib/squeak/3.11.3.-2147,
>> so i guess that is the vm version i am using).
>>
>> i am using ubuntu 10.04 on an oldish sony vaio z600,
>> ca 600mhz cpu, 500mb ram
>>
>> any help or hint is very much appreciated.
>> thanks,
>> wolfgang
>>
> for the records, i get the same behavior with the
> latest scratch install from scratch.mit.edu.
> thanks,
> wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang, try turning off "visual effects" from menu
system/preferences/appearance and see if that helps.

-D

On 12.05.2010 00:16, Wolfgang Eder wrote:

> [snip]
> On 11.05.2010 23:28, Wolfgang Eder wrote:
>> i tried installing, using the ubuntu software center,
>> the official "Squeak" and "eToys" packages.
>> both give me the same behaviour as described in the
>> original bug report.
>> (the vm is in /usr/lib/squeak/3.11.3.-2147,
>> so i guess that is the vm version i am using).
>>
>> i am using ubuntu 10.04 on an oldish sony vaio z600,
>> ca 600mhz cpu, 500mb ram
>>
>> any help or hint is very much appreciated.
>> thanks,
>> wolfgang
>>
> for the records, i get the same behavior with the
> latest scratch install from scratch.mit.edu.
> thanks,
> wolfgang

one more data point:
while squeak is running (no visible cursor),
i switch to text (ctrl-alt-f1) and back to x
(ctrl-alt-f7), i get a big (approx 100x100)
cursor consisting of vertical white stripes
(looks kinda like bar code).

thanks,
wolfgang

On 12.05.2010 06:26, Derek O'Connell wrote:

> On 11/05/10 23:16, Wolfgang Eder wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>> On 11.05.2010 23:28, Wolfgang Eder wrote:
>>> i tried installing, using the ubuntu software center,
>>> the official "Squeak" and "eToys" packages.
>>> both give me the same behaviour as described in the
>>> original bug report.
>>> (the vm is in /usr/lib/squeak/3.11.3.-2147,
>>> so i guess that is the vm version i am using).
>>>
>>> i am using ubuntu 10.04 on an oldish sony vaio z600,
>>> ca 600mhz cpu, 500mb ram
>>>
>>> any help or hint is very much appreciated.
>>> thanks,
>>> wolfgang
>>>
>> for the records, i get the same behavior with the
>> latest scratch install from scratch.mit.edu.
>> thanks,
>> wolfgang
>
> Hi Wolfgang, try turning off "visual effects" from menu
> system/preferences/appearance and see if that helps.
>
> -D

i already have all visual effects disabled.
thanks,
wolfgang

On 12.05.2010 00:45, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Since I never saw anybody else report this, I'd suspect a problem in your display driver, rather than the Squeak VM.
>
> - Bert -

aha, i get the same behaviour with fontforge
when editing a glyph.
so it looks like my system is having troubles with
custom mouse pointers. bummer.
thanks all,
wolfgang

Re: squeak 4.1 no mouse pointer in ubuntu 10.04

K K Subbu

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 01:20:21 pm Wolfgang Eder wrote:
> one more data point:
> while squeak is running (no visible cursor),
> i switch to text (ctrl-alt-f1) and back to x
> (ctrl-alt-f7), i get a big (approx 100x100)
> cursor consisting of vertical white stripes
> (looks kinda like bar code).
looks like a xserver bug or misconfiguration. Look into /var/log/Xorg*log for
any errors (look for lines with EE).

Save your /etc/xorg.conf file and reset configuration with the command:

   gksudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

HTH .. Subbu

Re: squeak 4.1 no mouse pointer in ubuntu 10.04 - SOLVED

Wolfgang Eder

On 12.05.2010 13:59, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 May 2010 01:20:21 pm Wolfgang Eder wrote:
>> one more data point:
>> while squeak is running (no visible cursor),
>> i switch to text (ctrl-alt-f1) and back to x
>> (ctrl-alt-f7), i get a big (approx 100x100)
>> cursor consisting of vertical white stripes
>> (looks kinda like bar code).
> looks like a xserver bug or misconfiguration. Look into /var/log/Xorg*log for
> any errors (look for lines with EE).
>
> Save your /etc/xorg.conf file and reset configuration with the command:
>
>     gksudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
>

> HTH .. Subbu

i have finally solved the problem by
disabling the hardware cursor for the neomagic driver.
(there was no xorg.conf; i have attached to this
email the one i have created)
thanks to all who have helped!
regards
wolfgang

xorg.conf (405 bytes) Download Attachment

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 08:09:30PM +0200, Wolfgang Eder wrote:

> On 12.05.2010 13:59, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> >
> >On Wednesday 12 May 2010 01:20:21 pm Wolfgang Eder wrote:
> >>one more data point:
> >>while squeak is running (no visible cursor),
> >>i switch to text (ctrl-alt-f1) and back to x
> >>(ctrl-alt-f7), i get a big (approx 100x100)
> >>cursor consisting of vertical white stripes
> >>(looks kinda like bar code).
> >looks like a xserver bug or misconfiguration. Look into /var/log/Xorg*log
> >for
> >any errors (look for lines with EE).
> >
> >Save your /etc/xorg.conf file and reset configuration with the command:
> >
> >    gksudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
> >

> >HTH .. Subbu
> >

> i have finally solved the problem by
> disabling the hardware cursor for the neomagic driver.

Good, and thanks for the update!