[squeak-dev] A New Community Development Model

123

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: A New Community Development Model

Göran Krampe
Hi folks!

I am getting tired of the heated up tone...

I started this darn thread (you may recall) and I just wanted a good
discussion with some good results.

Noone should feel being driven away. These effects in these discussions
are normal - when people work hard on things and then seemingly noone is
noticing it hurts a bit.

Keith is probably hurt in this way, and so are others.

But we all read and listen.

regards, Göran

[squeak-dev] Re: A New Community Development Model

Klaus D. Witzel
On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 14:55:06 +0200, Norbert Hartl wrote:

[...]
> There are bright people here and the topic
> is interesting. But a lot of discussions end like the one we are having
> right now.

Right.

> And that is the reason I don't have the feeling I can _grow_
> inside this community because of this. It so hard to participate without
> being a master already.

You're right, one can have this impression, sometimes.

> I rarely post anything because of this and now I
> remember why. And still no offense meant!

Okay, no offense taken.

> I just let it go. I will first
> see that I can do a lot of work in order to earn my next post...
>
> ... in the meantime I spent my time somewhere else.

Without the drug ? :) this I don't believe :)

/Klaus

P.S. have you heard the fire alarm bell ringing, over there in the
release-team booth, at about 13:08 our time ...

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 15:08:58 +0200, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I am getting tired of the heated up tone...
>
> I started this darn thread (you may recall) and I just wanted a good
> discussion with some good results.
>
> Noone should feel being driven away. These effects in these discussions
> are normal - when people work hard on things and then seemingly noone is
> noticing it hurts a bit.
>
> Keith is probably hurt in this way, and so are others.
>
> But we all read and listen.

Sure, especially because there are some more steps to come, y'all know:

1. Enthusiasm.
2. Disillusionment.
3. Panic.
4. Search for the guilty.
5. Punishment of the innocent. << are we here already?
6. Rewards for the uninvolved.

> regards, Göran

/Klaus

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: A New Community Development Model

NorbertHartl
> On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 14:55:06 +0200, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
> [...]
>> There are bright people here and the topic
>> is interesting. But a lot of discussions end like the one we are having
>> right now.
>
> Right.
>
>> And that is the reason I don't have the feeling I can _grow_
>> inside this community because of this. It so hard to participate without
>> being a master already.
>
> You're right, one can have this impression, sometimes.
>
>> I rarely post anything because of this and now I
>> remember why. And still no offense meant!
>
> Okay, no offense taken.

Thanks!

>> I just let it go. I will first
>> see that I can do a lot of work in order to earn my next post...
>>
>> ... in the meantime I spent my time somewhere else.
>
> Without the drug ? :) this I don't believe :)

Well, smalltalk is not the only good thing on earth. And smalltalk is not
squeak... There are just too much places that are interesting. And not all
are grey bearded :)

> /Klaus
>
> P.S. have you heard the fire alarm bell ringing, over there in the
> release-team booth, at about 13:08 our time ...

I don't know what you mean. So the answer is: no.

Norbert

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: A New Community Development Model

keith1y
Göran Krampe wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I am getting tired of the heated up tone...
>
> I started this darn thread (you may recall) and I just wanted a good
> discussion with some good results.
>
> Noone should feel being driven away. These effects in these
> discussions are normal - when people work hard on things and then
> seemingly noone is noticing it hurts a bit.
>
> Keith is probably hurt in this way, and so are others.
Not hurt just getting pissed off.

One minute the board is a non-intervening non-relevant talk shop, that
can safely be ignored. The next it is taking over completely, and
throwing grenades in all directions.

One minute a board representative says, relax a bit on 3.11 since 4.0 is
the important thing, oh and 4.0 is stalled because of the need to talk
to the lawyers.

The next minute the board is acting in lieu of the release team, which
they don't perceive to be doing anything (see previous paragraph!) and
making pronouncements on process which directly contravene all previous
announcements.

The board needs to work out whether it is a release team or an oversight
board. If it choses to make 4.0 a priority, then it should recuit and
encourage the people who want to work on it. I myself couldn't care less
about licencing issues, because I believe in the spirit of SqueakL and
that is good enough for me. Besides, if you sue me you wont get anything.

In the context of the 3.11 process all the relicencing effort amounts to
is a couple of changesets that can be placed on mantis and integrated
into 3.10. The board have deemed that this shall be called 4.0 for
political reasons.

If it wants 3.11 then it should monitor and encourage the team that it
appointed, it should not be deciding how the work is to be done. The
least it should do is talk to the people involved.

If others want to step up to the plate with a complete proposal as to
where squeak should go, and seek the boards approval, then fine. However
I venture to suggest it would be more constructive to simply sign up to
[hidden email] and ask what you can do to help.

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: A New Community Development Model

Frank Shearar
Keith Hodges wrote:

> Göran Krampe wrote:
>
>> Hi folks!
>>
>> I am getting tired of the heated up tone...
>>
>> I started this darn thread (you may recall) and I just wanted a good
>> discussion with some good results.
>>
>> Noone should feel being driven away. These effects in these
>> discussions are normal - when people work hard on things and then
>> seemingly noone is noticing it hurts a bit.
>>
>> Keith is probably hurt in this way, and so are others.
>>
> Not hurt just getting pissed off.
>
> One minute the board is a non-intervening non-relevant talk shop, that
> can safely be ignored. The next it is taking over completely, and
> throwing grenades in all directions.
>
> One minute a board representative says, relax a bit on 3.11 since 4.0 is
> the important thing, oh and 4.0 is stalled because of the need to talk
> to the lawyers

To be fair though, that's the same thing. Talking to the lawyers is a
necessary step towards the stated goal of 4.0.

> If it wants 3.11 then it should monitor and encourage the team that it
> appointed, it should not be deciding how the work is to be done. The
> least it should do is talk to the people involved.

But here, without speaking to the niceness or otherwise of Andreas'
proposal, I'd have to agree. Sounds like a good time for you and Andreas
to talk, yes?

frank

[squeak-dev] Re: A New Community Development Model

Andreas.Raab
Göran Krampe wrote:
> ...shouldn't we discuss this a bit first? I agree with Keith that some
> discussion would have been nice.

Please discuss. That's what we're here for. In all honesty, the reason
why I was pushing this is simply not to lose momentum. It just so
happened that the board meeting was yesterday and the only option was to
press for it now or wait two weeks. I wasn't going to wait another two
weeks with all the excitement going on.

And folks, just to remind everyone, you elected me specifically on the
grounds of (re)enabling contributions from the community. If you forgot,
please re-read here:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-February/134124.html

This is why I am on the board to begin with. In the board discussion
there were many good questions asked that were hard to fold into the
writeup, so if you have questions, concerns, proposals please do ask.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] A New Community Development Model

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 08:03:55PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
> [This message is also available on the blog at
> http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/a-new-community-development-model/]
>
> In the board meeting today we had a nice discussion about how to move
> forward with a new community development model for Squeak. Here is an
> overview of the model and what will happen next:

Excellent. Clearly stated goals, processes that are known to be effective,
tools that currently exist, and guidelines for how work is to be done.
Very nice.

Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] A New Community Development Model

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Keith,

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:20 AM, Keith Hodges <[hidden email]> wrote:
The existing community development model works fine enough.

1. Submit changes as change sets to mantis.

2. Bob builds and tests the changes in a basic image, a dev image and a
full image

While you need your changes, and await the release with your fixes
integrated into it, you can load them manually from Mantis.

3. When Bob builds the new release he automatically loads changesets
from mantis, and fills in the MC repositories together with commit messages.

The result is an image that looks as though it has been managed with MC,
but the work is submitted in changesets that we all prefer.

This is an open process, and you can see what is due for inclusion or
not by querying mantis.

I just went to squeak.org and followed community links and I can find no reference to Bob.  The things I want to be able to see and find easily are

1. sample images
2. list of packages loaded in the image
3. test results (name of class, number of green, yellow and red tests, and if possible the assertion that failed or the error message for each yellow and red test).

How do I get at this kind of info?  If I can't get at this then Bob is an abstraction I don't understand and can't trust.  If it is manifested then it needs to be findable easily from squeak.org.

Now if certain members of the board would volunteer to contribute to the
process, rather than replacing it without discussion, we would all be a
lot better of.

best regards

Keith

best
Eliot

[squeak-dev] Re: A New Community Development Model

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Eliot,

Bob & things are discussed and reported on the release-team list, see for
example

-
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/release/2009-February/000072.html

/Klaus

Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:20 AM, Keith Hodges <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     The existing community development model works fine enough.
>
>     1. Submit changes as change sets to mantis.
>
>     2. Bob builds and tests the changes in a basic image, a dev image
>     and a
>     full image
>
>     While you need your changes, and await the release with your fixes
>     integrated into it, you can load them manually from Mantis.
>
>     3. When Bob builds the new release he automatically loads changesets
>     from mantis, and fills in the MC repositories together with commit
>     messages.
>
>     The result is an image that looks as though it has been managed
>     with MC,
>     but the work is submitted in changesets that we all prefer.
>
>     This is an open process, and you can see what is due for inclusion or
>     not by querying mantis.
>

> I just went to squeak.org <http://squeak.org> and followed community
> links and I can find no reference to Bob.  The things I want to be
> able to see and find easily are
>
> 1. sample images
On their way.... see ftp.squeak.org/3.11 for some initial examples where
bob is building the LPF image
> 2. list of packages loaded in the image
This can be be included in the metafile that accompanies every build.
Images also contain documentation of the bug fixes that have been loaded.
> 3. test results (name of class, number of green, yellow and red tests,
> and if possible the assertion that failed or the error message for
> each yellow and red test).
Sure... the results from TestReporter do that. I am working on it. I did
have some icons that you can add to apache to give you the colors.
> How do I get at this kind of info?  If I can't get at this then Bob is
> an abstraction I don't understand and can't trust.  If it is
> manifested then it needs to be findable easily from squeak.org
> <http://squeak.org>.
This info will be available wherever bob is running, bob is supposed be
runnable in a distributed fashion, some results are being synced up to
ftp.squeak.org however you can see my bob server at
ftp://squeak:[hidden email]/bob/output

Keith

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot,

Bob & things are discussed and reported on the release-team list, see for example

- http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/release/2009-February/000072.html

This domain name, "warwick.st", may still be available for registration!  <input type="button" class="tak" value="Check It!" onclick="document.location.href=&#39;http://www.nic.st/register.php?event=box&amp;varName=warwick.st&#39;;" style="height: 18px; color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-color: rgb(226, 0, 1); border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); border-left-width: 1px; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); border-right-width: 1px; border-right-style: solid; border-right-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-weight: bold; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; ">
You have arrived at this page because the domain name you entered is not currently active on the Internet. If you have recently registered or modified this domain name, you can expect it to become active within the next 24 hours.

For more information on how to register your own .st domain go to The Official .ST Domain Registry website at www.nic.st

:(

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Keith Hodges <[hidden email]> wrote:
Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:20 AM, Keith Hodges <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     The existing community development model works fine enough.
>
>     1. Submit changes as change sets to mantis.
>
>     2. Bob builds and tests the changes in a basic image, a dev image
>     and a
>     full image
>
>     While you need your changes, and await the release with your fixes
>     integrated into it, you can load them manually from Mantis.
>
>     3. When Bob builds the new release he automatically loads changesets
>     from mantis, and fills in the MC repositories together with commit
>     messages.
>
>     The result is an image that looks as though it has been managed
>     with MC,
>     but the work is submitted in changesets that we all prefer.
>
>     This is an open process, and you can see what is due for inclusion or
>     not by querying mantis.
>

> I just went to squeak.org <http://squeak.org> and followed community
> links and I can find no reference to Bob.  The things I want to be
> able to see and find easily are
>
> 1. sample images
On their way.... see ftp.squeak.org/3.11 for some initial examples where
bob is building the LPF image
> 2. list of packages loaded in the image
This can be be included in the metafile that accompanies every build.
Images also contain documentation of the bug fixes that have been loaded.
> 3. test results (name of class, number of green, yellow and red tests,
> and if possible the assertion that failed or the error message for
> each yellow and red test).
Sure... the results from TestReporter do that. I am working on it. I did
have some icons that you can add to apache to give you the colors.
> How do I get at this kind of info?  If I can't get at this then Bob is
> an abstraction I don't understand and can't trust.  If it is
> manifested then it needs to be findable easily from squeak.org
> <http://squeak.org>.
This info will be available wherever bob is running, bob is supposed be
runnable in a distributed fashion, some results are being synced up to
ftp.squeak.org however you can see my bob server at
ftp://squeak:viewpoints@.../bob/output

Good (ish ;) ).  Might I suggest that putting effort into making a proper web interface available (Seaside?) would be effort well spent.  The ftp interface is better than nothing but it ain't very friendly even with Mac OS X finder integration.

But good.  Thanks.

Why can't we have links from the front page of squeak.org to a page describing this, even if describing it as a nascent effort?  That web approachability is IMO absolutely crucial in its gaining acceptance.

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: A New Community Development Model

keith1y
> This domain name, "warwick.st", may still be available for registration!

Indeed, the nic.st failed to send out any reminders, so they expired my
domain without telling me.

Unfortunately at present I cant afford to re-register it.

Keith

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Keith Hodges <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This domain name, "warwick.st", may still be available for registration!

Indeed, the nic.st failed to send out any reminders, so they expired my
domain without telling me.

Unfortunately at present I cant afford to re-register it.

How much does, say, a 2 year registration cost?   Does e.g. the board have that kind of ready cash?

Keith

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Keith Hodges <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This domain name, "warwick.st", may still be available for registration!

Indeed, the nic.st failed to send out any reminders, so they expired my
domain without telling me.

Unfortunately at present I cant afford to re-register it.

How much does, say, a 2 year registration cost?   Does e.g. the board have that kind of ready cash?

OK .st registrations are
1 Year€35 Standard registration
2 Years€70 Registration
* Email forwarding included!
3 Years€95

 How can we stump up the cash?

(and how can I get to São Tomé for a holiday???)

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: A New Community Development Model

NorbertHartl

> P.S. have you heard the fire alarm bell ringing, over there in the
> release-team booth, at about 13:08 our time ...

Now I know :)

Norbert

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: A New Community Development Model

Ian Trudel-2
Hello Andreas,

I would like to suggest writing a word about the license in the "A New
Community Development Model" manifesto. It seems obvious that any code
submitted to any of the community repository should be under the
proper license. This has to be clearly labelled to avoid any
confusion. This should fit into the current SOB objective in regard to
Squeak relicensing.

Regards,
Ian

http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

[squeak-dev] Re: A New Community Development Model

Andreas.Raab
Thanks, fixed. There is now a paragraph called "License".

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Keith Hodges wrote:
>> This domain name, "warwick.st", may still be available for registration!
>>
> Indeed, the nic.st failed to send out any reminders, so they expired my
> domain without telling me.
>
> Unfortunately at present I cant afford to re-register it.

First of all, I can rig an ipname for you using squeak.se domain, done
in 5 minutes if you like, just give me the ip.

Ken or someone else can rig it on squeak.org too.

regards, Göran

123