[squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

12

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 3/20/08 8:12 PM, "Randal L. Schwartz" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Unless we *need* a new sources (as we did for 3.9), I'd suggest using the 3.9.
> After all, the *next* release might be the first license-fixed release, and
> then we *will* need a new sources file.  Having lots of different Sources
> files doesn't make sense.
>
> Just my opinion.  Not an official board position, although I think we can put
> that on the next meeting's agenda.

I copy mail send to v3dotlist

> .sources have a 32 Mb limit.
> This was the origin Steph and Markus should made two SqueakV39.sources.
> At the beginning of 3.10 I warning this and the alternatives was
>
> 1) Deliver 3.10 with new 3.10.sources
> 2) Take Dan condenseSources for having compressed ones
> 3) Take Klaus 512 mb patch
>
> Ralph made a superior scheme , for having empty changes.
> The guy in charge of this was Maurice Raab,
>
> For real different way, I have my own how to deal with this in
> ftp://edgardec:[hidden email]:21/squeakros.atspace.com/Compresse
> dClasses
> date is 16/07/05 ....
> Could do same with the tentative image or any image we pick as start point.
> You could do
>
> | server hay unzipped zipped |
> server := (ServerDirectory serverNamed: 'SqueakRos').
> dir := server directoryNamed: 'CompressedClasses'.
> hay := dir entries detect: [ :any| any name = 'Url.sqz'] ifNone:[].
> hay ifNotNil: [self halt .
>     zipped:=  dir getFileNamed: 'Url.sqz'.
>     unzipped := RWBinaryOrTextStream with: (GZipReadStream decompressFile:
> zipped) contents.]
>
> and feed File Contens Browser for later processing

And I have the procedure for 3.11 ready to any could try

'From Squeak3.10beta of 22 July 2007 [latest update: #7159] on 12 March 2008
at 5:51:23 am'!

!ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 methodsFor: 'sources managment' stamp: 'edc
2/12/2008 09:04'!
createCompressedSources
" ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 new createCompressedSources"
| unzipped nameToUse zipped buffer dir |
ProtoObject allSubclassesWithLevelDo:[:cl :l|
    dir := self createDirIfnotExists:cl category.

    Cursor write showWhile: [nameToUse :=  cl printString .
        (dir fileExists: nameToUse) ifFalse:[
            unzipped :=RWBinaryOrTextStream on: ''.
            unzipped header; timeStamp.
     cl  fileOutOn: unzipped moveSource: false toFile: 0.
    unzipped trailer.

            unzipped reset.
            zipped := dir newFileNamed: (nameToUse, FileDirectory dot,
ImageSegment compressedFileExtension).
    zipped binary.
    zipped := GZipWriteStream on: zipped.
    buffer := ByteArray new: 50000.
    'Compressing ', nameToUse displayProgressAt: Sensor cursorPoint
        from: 0 to: unzipped size
        during:[:bar|
            [unzipped atEnd] whileFalse:[
                bar value: unzipped position.
                zipped nextPutAll: (unzipped nextInto: buffer)].
            zipped close.
            unzipped close]]]] startingLevel: 0! !

!ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 methodsFor: 'sources managment' stamp: 'edc
2/12/2008 07:43'!
createDirIfnotExists: aDirName
(FileDirectory default directoryExists:aDirName)
        ifFalse: [FileDirectory default createDirectory: aDirName].
    ^FileDirectory default directoryNamed: aDirName! !

So I ask Board for start 3.11, and made changes on the road.

I know top priority is licensing.

My proposal is move out of "base" image to Monticello the following
packages.

'Tests' 'SMLoader' 'SMBase' 'SUnit' 'SUnitGUI' 'ScriptLoader' 'Universes'
'Installer' 'XML-Parser' 'BookMorphandFriends' 'MorphicExtras-Demo'
'MorphicExtras-Components' 'EToys' .

And with this out, have sense doing new sources.

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: VersionsBrowser

Maurice Rabb

On Mar 20, 2008, at 14:09 , Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Is it corrent that the new versions browser:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VersionsBrowser2.html
> is missing?
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Hi Phillippe  et al.

The latest version of the VersionBrowser (1.0) is available via the
Package Universe Browser under the "Code Browsing" category.  It is
also available on SqueakSource at:

        http://www.squeaksource.com/Archaeology.html

I cleaned up the repository so it is easier to understand.  However,
the version that is there doesn't provide any obvious new
functionality.  It is simply a refactored version that provides the
hooks for enabling the VersionsBrowser to read a single composite of
archive of all official Squeak methods that have been published.
After getting feedback from a number of people offline at the end of
last year, I realized that I needed to approach the problem in new
fashion.

It has only been in the past few weeks that I have been able to focus
again on the work at all.  Only since March have my wife and I have
begun to emerge from the sleep deprivation fog of new
parenthood. :-)  (Jerome, anyone who can write good code under the
influence of new baby is a better person than I -- however, I hope
they are not building avionics! :-p)

The current version has been refactored with good test coverage and
is devoid of any dependencies on tricky and ugly Squeak legacy code
-- i.e. core code that we all depend on but are either afraid to
modify, or afraid to use after someone has "improved" it.  As a
research project we have been looking at ways to do archaeology on
Squeak code, and seeing what can be discovered by investigating the
codebase of 10+ years of code evolution.  More to follow ...

-Maurice

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Giovanni Corriga
Randal L. Schwartz ha scritto:

> Edgar> El 3/20/08 6:30 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
>>> Shouldn't a new sources file be made? I suspect reusing
>>> SqueakV39.sources is going to ask for confusion.
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>
> Edgar> I could do a Squeak3dot10.sources if you think is best have new sources.
>
> Unless we *need* a new sources (as we did for 3.9), I'd suggest using the 3.9.
> After all, the *next* release might be the first license-fixed release, and
> then we *will* need a new sources file.  Having lots of different Sources
> files doesn't make sense.

Why not go the easy way and bundle the .sources files with the VM,
instead of forcing people to download them separately?

We could start distributing a "Squeak runtime" with vm, plugins,
.sources file, fonts etc. This would make installing Squeak much easier.

        Ciao,

                Giovanni

El 3/24/08 11:52 AM, "Giovanni Corriga" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Why not go the easy way and bundle the .sources files with the VM,
> instead of forcing people to download them separately?
>
> We could start distributing a "Squeak runtime" with vm, plugins,
> .sources file, fonts etc. This would make installing Squeak much easier.
>
> Ciao,
>
> Giovanni
I could if someone tell me how put the foreign files into the OS X VM .app ..
I think this is Sophie and now Seaside use.

Edgar

RE: [squeak-dev] [ANN] 3.10 final is out

Sebastian Sastre-2

> Why not go the easy way and bundle the .sources files with the VM,
> instead of forcing people to download them separately?
>
> We could start distributing a "Squeak runtime" with vm, plugins,
> .sources file, fonts etc. This would make installing Squeak
> much easier.
>
> Ciao,
>
> Giovanni

Easing/simplifying the Squeak installation makes a lot of sense.

        cheers,

Sebastian

12