[squeak-dev] [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

[squeak-dev] [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

Joey Hagedorn
Hello everyone!

We just wanted to announce our new software release, Algernon.
Algernon is a keyboard-based launcher that provides lightning quick
access to categories, classes, morphs, and global variables in your
image. It's inspired by similar tools like Quicksilver and LaunchBar
for Mac OS X. Give it a try and let us know what you think. We hope
you love using it as much as we do!

Thanks,
Erik Hinterbichler and Joey Hagedorn

http://map.squeak.org/account/package/b263b71c-9359-424c-bcc8-1269ccd4ccf8

P.S.
None of this would have been possible without the work of Hernán Tylim
on KeyBinder, our CS598 classmates, or our professor Ralph Johnson.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

garduino
Hi!

I just gave a try to Algernon and look really USEFUL! I suspect will be using it a lot.

Thaks by the work!

Cheers.

2008/5/5 Joey Hagedorn <[hidden email]>:
Hello everyone!

We just wanted to announce our new software release, Algernon. Algernon is a keyboard-based launcher that provides lightning quick access to categories, classes, morphs, and global variables in your image. It's inspired by similar tools like Quicksilver and LaunchBar for Mac OS X. Give it a try and let us know what you think. We hope you love using it as much as we do!

Thanks,
Erik Hinterbichler and Joey Hagedorn

http://map.squeak.org/account/package/b263b71c-9359-424c-bcc8-1269ccd4ccf8

P.S.
None of this would have been possible without the work of Hernán Tylim on KeyBinder, our CS598 classmates, or our professor Ralph Johnson.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

Simon Kirk
Hi.

This looks great. One thing I note though: ctrl-space is going to clash with eCompletion (another very useful tool, already present in the dev images), had anybody thought of that?

Cheers,
Simon

Joey Hagedorn wrote
Hello everyone!

We just wanted to announce our new software release, Algernon.
Algernon is a keyboard-based launcher that provides lightning quick
access to categories, classes, morphs, and global variables in your
image. It's inspired by similar tools like Quicksilver and LaunchBar
for Mac OS X. Give it a try and let us know what you think. We hope
you love using it as much as we do!

Thanks,
Erik Hinterbichler and Joey Hagedorn

http://map.squeak.org/account/package/b263b71c-9359-424c-bcc8-1269ccd4ccf8

P.S.
None of this would have been possible without the work of Hernán Tylim
on KeyBinder, our CS598 classmates, or our professor Ralph Johnson.

[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

Sophie424
"Joey Hagedorn" <[hidden email]> wrote

> We just wanted to announce our new software release, Algernon.

It's great, thanks!

[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

EstebanLM
This is great! many thanks...
it is possible to have this as an universe package? It would be easier
for newbies...

On 2008-05-05 12:56:59 -0300, "itsme213" <[hidden email]> said:

> "Joey Hagedorn" <[hidden email]> wrote
>
>> We just wanted to announce our new software release, Algernon.
>
> It's great, thanks!

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

Claus Kick
Hello Erik and Joey,

this is really nice and definitely a handy tool!

Cheers,
Claus

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

Joey Hagedorn
Esteban,
        Thanks you! If you choose "update package list from the net" it
should be in there. The link was just a pointer to some more info.

-Joey

On May 5, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> This is great! many thanks...
> it is possible to have this as an universe package? It would be
> easier for newbies...
>
> On 2008-05-05 12:56:59 -0300, "itsme213" <[hidden email]> said:
>
>> "Joey Hagedorn" <[hidden email]> wrote
>>> We just wanted to announce our new software release, Algernon.
>> It's great, thanks!

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

Joey Hagedorn
Simon,
        Good point. We ran in to this too, but found other modifiers we had
been using, such as option-space, didn't work on all host operating
systems. There is a method, "activationString", which you can easily
customize, but we're open to a better default if anyone can suggest one.

-Joey

On May 5, 2008, at 7:01 AM, Simon Kirk wrote:

> Hi.
>
> This looks great. One thing I note though: ctrl-space is going to
> clash with
> eCompletion (another very useful tool, already present in the dev
> images),
> had anybody thought of that?
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>

> Joey Hagedorn wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> We just wanted to announce our new software release, Algernon.
>> Algernon is a keyboard-based launcher that provides lightning quick
>> access to categories, classes, morphs, and global variables in your
>> image. It's inspired by similar tools like Quicksilver and LaunchBar
>> for Mac OS X. Give it a try and let us know what you think. We hope
>> you love using it as much as we do!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Erik Hinterbichler and Joey Hagedorn
>>
>> http://map.squeak.org/account/package/b263b71c-9359-424c-bcc8-1269ccd4ccf8
>>
>> P.S.
>> None of this would have been possible without the work of Hernán
>> Tylim
>> on KeyBinder, our CS598 classmates, or our professor Ralph Johnson.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

Igor Stasenko
what about shift-space?

2008/5/6 Joey Hagedorn <[hidden email]>:

> Simon,
>         Good point. We ran in to this too, but found other modifiers we had
> been using, such as option-space, didn't work on all host operating systems.
> There is a method, "activationString", which you can easily customize, but
> we're open to a better default if anyone can suggest one.
>
>  -Joey
>

>  On May 5, 2008, at 7:01 AM, Simon Kirk wrote:
>

> > Hi.
> >
> > This looks great. One thing I note though: ctrl-space is going to clash
> with
> > eCompletion (another very useful tool, already present in the dev images),
> > had anybody thought of that?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Simon
> >

> > Joey Hagedorn wrote:
> >

> > > Hello everyone!
> > >
> > > We just wanted to announce our new software release, Algernon.
> > > Algernon is a keyboard-based launcher that provides lightning quick
> > > access to categories, classes, morphs, and global variables in your
> > > image. It's inspired by similar tools like Quicksilver and LaunchBar
> > > for Mac OS X. Give it a try and let us know what you think. We hope
> > > you love using it as much as we do!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Erik Hinterbichler and Joey Hagedorn
> > >

> http://map.squeak.org/account/package/b263b71c-9359-424c-bcc8-1269ccd4ccf8
> > >
> > > P.S.
> > > None of this would have been possible without the work of Hernán Tylim
> > > on KeyBinder, our CS598 classmates, or our professor Ralph Johnson.
> > >

> > --

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

Derek O'Connell-2
Extremely useful utility! Thank you. One suggestion, an option to
cache state between invocations to save re-drilling down into
categories?

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Joey Hagedorn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
>  We just wanted to announce our new software release, Algernon. Algernon is
> a keyboard-based launcher that provides lightning quick access to
> categories, classes, morphs, and global variables in your image. It's
> inspired by similar tools like Quicksilver and LaunchBar for Mac OS X. Give
> it a try and let us know what you think. We hope you love using it as much
> as we do!
>
>  Thanks,
>  Erik Hinterbichler and Joey Hagedorn
>
>  http://map.squeak.org/account/package/b263b71c-9359-424c-bcc8-1269ccd4ccf8
>
>  P.S.
>  None of this would have been possible without the work of Hernán Tylim on
> KeyBinder, our CS598 classmates, or our professor Ralph Johnson.

[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

EstebanLM
Hi again
I added some extensions to Algernon, in order to make it work with
OmniBrowser... I created a monticello package named OB-Algernon, can I
send it to you for upload it into the repository?

On 2008-05-05 18:39:06 -0300, Joey Hagedorn <[hidden email]> said:

> Esteban,
> Thanks you! If you choose "update package list from the net" it
> should be in there. The link was just a pointer to some more info.

Maybe is present in 3.9 universe and not in 3.10? I can't see it there.

> -Joey
>
> On May 5, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>
>> This is great! many thanks...
>> it is possible to have this as an universe package? It would be  easier
>> for newbies...
>>
>> On 2008-05-05 12:56:59 -0300, "itsme213" <[hidden email]> said:
>>
>>> "Joey Hagedorn" <[hidden email]> wrote
>>> It's great, thanks!

Keep the great work!
Esteban

[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

EstebanLM
+1

On 2008-05-06 01:51:13 -0300, "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]> said:

> what about shift-space?
>
> 2008/5/6 Joey Hagedorn <[hidden email]>:
>> Simon,
>> Good point. We ran in to this too, but found other modifiers we had
>> been using, such as option-space, didn't work on all host operating systems.
>> There is a method, "activationString", which you can easily customize, but
>> we're open to a better default if anyone can suggest one.
>>
>> -Joey
>>

>> On May 5, 2008, at 7:01 AM, Simon Kirk wrote:
>>

>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> This looks great. One thing I note though: ctrl-space is going to clash
>> with
>>> eCompletion (another very useful tool, already present in the dev images),
>>> had anybody thought of that?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Simon

>> http://map.squeak.org/account/package/b263b71c-9359-424c-bcc8-1269ccd4ccf8

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

cedreek
2008/5/6 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
> Hi again
>  I added some extensions to Algernon, in order to make it work with
> OmniBrowser... I created a monticello package named OB-Algernon, can I send
> it to you for upload it into the repository?

Excellent :)

Did you mean OB repository ? I think it belong there...

Cédrick

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

stephane ducasse

did you publish your code in squeaksource?

On 2008-05-06 11:33:51 -0300, cdrick <[hidden email]> said:

> 2008/5/6 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi again
>> I added some extensions to Algernon, in order to make it work with
>> OmniBrowser... I created a monticello package named OB-Algernon, can I send
>> it to you for upload it into the repository?
>>

> Excellent :)
>
> Did you mean OB repository ? I think it belong there...
>
> Cédrick

maybe :)
But OmniBrowser repository of ss is closed and lukas repo... well, I
don't want to upload anything there without lukas approval.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

Lukas Renggli
>  maybe :)
>  But OmniBrowser repository of ss is closed and lukas repo... well, I don't
> want to upload anything there without lukas approval.

Sure, go ahead.

The official OmniBrowser is not on SqueakSource though and to me it looks open.

  http://source.wiresong.ca/ob/

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On 2008-05-06 15:24:03 -0300, "Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]> said:

>> maybe :)
>> But OmniBrowser repository of ss is closed and lukas repo... well, I don't
>> want to upload anything there without lukas approval.
>
> Sure, go ahead.
>
> The official OmniBrowser is not on SqueakSource though and to me it looks open.
>
>   http://source.wiresong.ca/ob/
>
> Lukas

Done, you can find OB-Algeron package in OB repository :)

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

Joey Hagedorn
Stephane,
        Yes. The URL is:
http://www.squeaksource.com/Algernon.html

I've gone ahead and made it global read/write for anyone that would
like to make any changes.

-Joey

On May 6, 2008, at 10:03 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> did you publish your code in squeaksource?
>

>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> We just wanted to announce our new software release, Algernon.

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Algernon: Your Personal Assistant for Squeak

Damien Cassou-3
On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Simon Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  This looks great. One thing I note though: ctrl-space is going to clash with
>  eCompletion (another very useful tool, already present in the dev images),
>  had anybody thought of that?

eCompletion can be triggered by TAB too.

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good