[squeak-dev] [ANN] CommandShell 4.2.1

Cesar Rabak
Dear David,

I'm attempting to install the CommandShell package in my Squeak images
and I get an "Error: only integers should be used as indices" be it in
the current Squeak3.10.1-7175-basic.image as the ealier
Squeak3.9-final-7067.image.

Since such a thing has to be some mishap on my side as it could not have
passed unnoticed by so much time since the release, I'm asking for help
as I cannot figure out what I could be doing wrong....

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.
Get counted: http://counter.li.org/

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] CommandShell 4.2.1

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 04:40:33PM -0300, Cesar Rabak wrote:

> Dear David,
>
> I'm attempting to install the CommandShell package in my Squeak images
> and I get an "Error: only integers should be used as indices" be it in
> the current Squeak3.10.1-7175-basic.image as the ealier
> Squeak3.9-final-7067.image.
>
> Since such a thing has to be some mishap on my side as it could not have
> passed unnoticed by so much time since the release, I'm asking for help
> as I cannot figure out what I could be doing wrong....

Hello Cesar,

This is caused by a bug in recent versions of CommandShell (thanks to Don
McLane <[hidden email]> for finding the problem).

As a work-around, please try loading the OSProcess package first, then load
CommandShell. This will allow CommandShell to work properly.

Also, if you are using SqueakMap to load CommandShell, try doing "update map
from the net" in your SqueakMap package loader. The most recently published
version of CommandShell is 4.2.3.

Dave

p.s. The fix for this bug is in SqueakSource at http://www.squeaksource.com/CommandShell,
but I have not "officially" released it as CommandShell 4.2.4, so maybe I should
do that now ;)

David T. Lewis escreveu:

> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 04:40:33PM -0300, Cesar Rabak wrote:
>> Dear David,
>>
>> I'm attempting to install the CommandShell package in my Squeak images
>> and I get an "Error: only integers should be used as indices" be it in
>> the current Squeak3.10.1-7175-basic.image as the ealier
>> Squeak3.9-final-7067.image.
>>
>> Since such a thing has to be some mishap on my side as it could not have
>> passed unnoticed by so much time since the release, I'm asking for help
>> as I cannot figure out what I could be doing wrong....
>
> Hello Cesar,
>
> This is caused by a bug in recent versions of CommandShell (thanks to Don
> McLane <[hidden email]> for finding the problem).

I see. The backtrace seemed to me too obvious for going unnoticed!

> As a work-around, please try loading the OSProcess package first, then load
> CommandShell. This will allow CommandShell to work properly.

I'll check this more thoroughly then, as Package Universe Browser does
this automatically, but when trying it in a clean image
(Squeak3.10.1-7175-basic.image), it installs OSProcess and then freezes
at the intallation of CommandShell.

> Also, if you are using SqueakMap to load CommandShell, try doing "update map
> from the net" in your SqueakMap package loader. The most recently published
> version of CommandShell is 4.2.3.

Yes that's what I attempted. Here is the bottom of the info at Package
Universe Browser:

<quote>
Maintained by: dtl
Downloads from:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/1914/CommandShellV4-2-3.sar
Homepage: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1914
</quote>

> Dave
>
> p.s. The fix for this bug is in SqueakSource at http://www.squeaksource.com/CommandShell,
> but I have not "officially" released it as CommandShell 4.2.4, so maybe I should
> do that now ;)

The names of the mcz files at this URL does not seem to include anything
  for version 4.

Would the newest be CommandShell-dtl.34.mcz?

TIA

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 11:00:45AM -0300, Cesar Rabak wrote:

> David T. Lewis escreveu:
> >
> >p.s. The fix for this bug is in SqueakSource at
> >http://www.squeaksource.com/CommandShell,
> >but I have not "officially" released it as CommandShell 4.2.4, so maybe I
> >should
> >do that now ;)
> >

> The names of the mcz files at this URL does not seem to include anything
>  for version 4.
>
> Would the newest be CommandShell-dtl.34.mcz?

Yes, this is the most recent development version, and it does fix the bug that
occured when CommandShell was loaded without OSProcess.

I'm not sure what the problem was when you loaded from the Universes browser,
but I'll try to look into it when I get some free time.

Dave

David T. Lewis escreveu:

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 11:00:45AM -0300, Cesar Rabak wrote:
>> David T. Lewis escreveu:
>>> p.s. The fix for this bug is in SqueakSource at
>>> http://www.squeaksource.com/CommandShell,
>>> but I have not "officially" released it as CommandShell 4.2.4, so maybe I
>>> should
>>> do that now ;)
>>>
>> The names of the mcz files at this URL does not seem to include anything
>>  for version 4.
>>
>> Would the newest be CommandShell-dtl.34.mcz?
>
> Yes, this is the most recent development version, and it does fix the bug that
> occured when CommandShell was loaded without OSProcess.
>
> I'm not sure what the problem was when you loaded from the Universes browser,
> but I'll try to look into it when I get some free time.

Thanks a lot Dave!