[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak Foundation Election 2009 coming up!

[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak Foundation Election 2009 coming up!

Göran Krampe
Dear Squeakers,

Yet another year has passed (oh, faster than ever it seems) and it is
time to flex your democratic rights here in Squeak country!

Every year we elect the Squeak leadership team (aka as the "board", see
http://www.squeak.org/Foundation) consisting of seven members from our
community.

The schedule and process is as follows, more or less copied from last year:

Now through 22nd February (circa 16 days): Nominations of board members

Candidates should nominate themselves on the squeak-dev mailing list. Or
if you nominate someone else, make sure that person really wants to run. :)

22nd February to 29th February: Campaigning period

During this period the candidates should ideally present themselves on
squeak-dev and the community can ask questions. Last year we organised a
structured Q&A activity and I will not be doing it this year, but of
course if someone else steps up to do it - just mail me!

1st march 6PM (18.00) UTC: Online election starts using the CIVS system

The voting period is one week long and ballots are sent out via email.
And how do you end up on the voter list? See below. :)

8th march 6PM (18.00) UTC: Online election ends

Results will be announced as soon as possible on the 8th or 9th.

VOTER LIST:

If you were invited to vote last year you are already on the list, no
worries! If you are a new Squeaker, read on. (If you don't recall if you
are on the list - we will try to get it up without attracting spammers :))

Earlier we used a website with a trust system to figure out who could
vote. This year that website is not available anymore
(people.squeakfoundation.org) so we will do it more "manually" this year.

In order to get onto the voter list do ONE of the following:

- Get a "known" Squeaker to vouch for you. If a known Squeaker sends an
email to me (privately) giving me name and email for you - then I will
add you.

- Email me privately (you may CC to squeak-dev, fine with me) with
information/arguments showing me that you are indeed serious about
voting and that you are indeed a Squeaker. And no, I don't have any
hints on what you should write! :) Unless you totally screw that up, you
will probably be added.

When the voting period starts all voters will receive an email with
instructions and a link to the voting website.

If there are any further questions, just reply *in this thread* and I
will closely track it. More information and details will follow and
everything about the election can be tracked here:

        http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6116

regards, Göran Krampe on behalf of the Election Team

[squeak-dev] [Election] Status: 2 candidates so far

Göran Krampe
Quick status:

- Ken Causey and Jecel Assumpcao added as candidates
- Two "new" Squeakers added to voter list by me

For keeping track of the Election 2009, see:
        http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6116

NOTE: If you voted last year you are already on the voter list!

regards, Göran

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak Foundation Election 2009 coming up!

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Göran Krampe wrote on Fri, 06 Feb 2009 13:51:47 +0100

> 22nd February to 29th February: Campaigning period
>
> During this period the candidates should ideally present themselves on
> squeak-dev and the community can ask questions. Last year we organised a
> structured Q&A activity and I will not be doing it this year, but of
> course if someone else steps up to do it - just mail me!

So should I wait until the 22nd before posting more?

-- Jecel

Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> Göran Krampe wrote on Fri, 06 Feb 2009 13:51:47 +0100
>
>> 22nd February to 29th February: Campaigning period
>>
>> During this period the candidates should ideally present themselves on
>> squeak-dev and the community can ask questions. Last year we organised a
>> structured Q&A activity and I will not be doing it this year, but of
>> course if someone else steps up to do it - just mail me!
>
> So should I wait until the 22nd before posting more?

No, it is fine to do campaigning at all time! :) Sorry for me being
unclear, I just edited it and will post a clarification.

regards, Göran

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak Foundation Election 2009 coming up!

Bert Freudenberg

On 06.02.2009, at 13:51, Göran Krampe wrote:

> VOTER LIST:
>
> If you were invited to vote last year you are already on the list,
> no worries! If you are a new Squeaker, read on. (If you don't recall
> if you are on the list - we will try to get it up without attracting
> spammers :))
>
> Earlier we used a website with a trust system to figure out who
> could vote. This year that website is not available anymore
> (people.squeakfoundation.org) so we will do it more "manually" this
> year.

In previous years the election team also invited voters from
"stakeholder communities" who are not necessarily subscribed to squeak-
dev (e.g., Croquet, Etoys, Seaside, etc.). Are you planning something
similar now?

Also you should not use the term "Foundation" anymore, the wiki page
title "Squeak Foundation Board 2009 Election" is misleading.

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak Foundation Election 2009 coming up!

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> In previous years the election team also invited voters from
> "stakeholder communities" who are not necessarily subscribed to
> squeak-dev (e.g., Croquet, Etoys, Seaside, etc.). Are you planning
> something similar now?

Well, I hadn't planned it - but I agree that we probably should. Problem
is that they are so darn many these days! :) I will cross-post a short
alert-message to a bunch of lists that I am on and then I will invite
anyone to spread that post further.

> Also you should not use the term "Foundation" anymore, the wiki page
> title "Squeak Foundation Board 2009 Election" is misleading.

Ah, thanks. Copy-paste-bug.

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Also you should not use the term "Foundation" anymore, the wiki page
> title "Squeak Foundation Board 2009 Election" is misleading.

Noting this:

   http://www.squeak.org/Foundation/Board/

...I think we need to clean the URLs and the TOC on squeak.org too.

regards, Göran