[squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] April 2008 versions

[squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] April 2008 versions

Damien Cassou-3
Hi,

I've just uploaded new squeak-dev and squeak-web images based on
Squeak3.9.1-7075 and Squeak3.10-7159.

More information and download links:
http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html

Changes in this version:
---------------------------

- A new http server to download the images:
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1211 (please use this one in
priority because it has a counter, it will help me know how many
people are interested in each image)
- Squeak-web: Magritte and Pier has been updated to 1.0.15
- OB-Enhancements saw a lot of fixes and new features again
- Refactorings in OmniBrowser have been improved massively (have a
look at Lukas Renggli's blog, in the OmniBrowser category:
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog, you will find screencasts about the
new features)
- Vassili Bykov regex expressions are now included

Contained packages:
------------------------

This image contains the following packages (some packages are only in
the squeak-web image or beta images):

Aida version 5.6
AST version 157
AutomaticMethodCategorizer version 0.25
AutomaticMethodCategorizerOB version 0.2
DynamicBindings version 2.7
eCompletion version 0.89
eCompletion-Traits version 0.1
eCompletionOmniBrowser version 0.4
Installer version 4.1
KomHttpServer version 7.0.30
KomServices version 1.12
Magritte-Model version 1.0.15.308
Magritte-Morph version 1.0.15.40
Magritte-Seaside version 1.0.15.256
Magritte-Tests version 1.0.15.134
Monticello15 version 1.5.471
Monticello15-Bootstrap version 1.5.470
MonticelloConfigurations version 1.0.44
MonticelloConfigurations-UniversesFix version un.33.fix.3
Null version 0.8
OB-Enhancements version 0.138
OmniBrowser version 0.408
OmniBrowser-Full version 0.25
OmniBrowser-Morphic version 0.46
OmniBrowser-Refactory version 0.85
OmniBrowser-Regex version 0.8.2
OmniBrowser-Standard version 0.327
OmniBrowser-SUnitIntegration version 0.9.1
OmniBrowser-TraitsIntegration version 0.32
PackageInfo-Base version 27
Pier version current
Pier-Blog version 1.0.15-alpha.72
Pier-Documents version 1.0.15-alpha.4
Pier-EditorEnh version 1.0.15-alpha.12
Pier-Model version 1.0.15-alpha.213
Pier-OmniBrowser version 1.0.15-alpha.33
Pier-Seaside version 1.0.15-alpha.264
Pier-Security version 1.0.15-alpha.103
Pier-Tests version 1.0.15-alpha.91
Refactoring Engine version 47
Rio version 0.34.29
Rio-Kernel version 0.78
RoelTyper version 0.60
RSRSS2 version 2.8.9
Scriptaculous version 2.8.228
ScriptManager version 0.6
Seaside version 2.8.522
Seaside-Adapters-Core version pmm.2.mcz
Seaside-Adapters-Swazoo version 8
Seaside-Squeak-Adapters version pmm.3.mcz
SeasideAdaptersCompatibility version pmm.1.mcz
Shout version 3.15-tween.70
ShoutWorkspace version 1-tween.2
SmaCC runtime version 13
Sport version 2.31
Squeak dev packages version 0.20
Squeak dev packages beta version 0.21
Squeak web packages version 0.2
SUnit-improved version 4.0.108
SUnitGUI-improved version 4.0.48
Swazoo version 2.1
ToolBuilder integration for UI Themes version 0.52
UI Themes and Standard Widgets version 0.60
Universes version 42
Universes OmniBrowser version 0.35
VBRegex version 1.9
YAXO version 9

Updating the image:
-------------------------

You are not obliged to download a new image if you don't want. You can
always update your image.

To upgrade your already existing squeak-dev image:

1) World menu->open...->Package Universe Browser
2) Update list from network
3) Select all upgrades
4) Install selection
5) Execute: 'DEVImageCreator default install' (all windows will be closed)

Prepared packages:
--------------------------

There are a lot of packages prepared for you in this image. They are
not loaded in the image, but they can be easily.

- Open Package Universe Browser (world->open...->Package Universe Browser).
- Click on "Update list from network"
- Wait a few seconds
- Select your packages
- Install them

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] April 2008 versions

garduino
Don't tried with Damien images, but managed to load on stock 3.10 and
load smoothly on u3 published by Lex.

Cheers.

2008/4/5, Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]>:

> This would be great, but I really need FFI for ODBC, and I just can't get it
> to load into this image (3.10-7159)...
>
> Rob
>

> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 6:19 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just uploaded new squeak-dev and squeak-web images based on
> > Squeak3.9.1-7075 and Squeak3.10-7159.
> >
> > More information and download links:
> > http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html

Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] April 2008 versions

Ken G. Brown
Thanks again for your work Damien!

How much of Keith's stuff from <http://installer.pbwiki.com/> is included in  sq3.10-7159dev08.04.2, if any of it?

Particularly, are any of the
        2. Latest - MinorFixes, MajorFixes and PackageUpgrades
        3. LatestUnstable - MinorFixesUnstable, MajorFixesUnstable and PackageUpgradesUnstable
already in the image?

Thx,
Ken G. Brown

At 3:20 AM -0700 4/5/08, [hidden email] apparently wrote:

>Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:19:25 +0200
>From: "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]>
>Subject: [squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] April 2008 versions
>To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
> <[hidden email]>, "Seaside - general
> discussion" <[hidden email]>
>
>Hi,
>
>I've just uploaded new squeak-dev and squeak-web images based on
>Squeak3.9.1-7075 and Squeak3.10-7159.

[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] April 2008 versions

Andrew Tween
>"Rob Rothwell" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>news:[hidden email]...
>This would be great, but I really need FFI for ODBC, and I just can't get
>it to load into this image (3.10-7159)...

please see - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6952

There you will find a patch,
ClassBuilder-nameinEnvironmentsubclassOftypeinstanceVariableNamesclassVariableNamespoolDictionariescategoryunsafe.st
, which, when installed, allows FFI version 3.9.1 to be loaded into the
squeak-dev and squeak-web images.

Cheers,
Andy

[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] April 2008 versions

Andreas.Raab
Andrew Tween wrote:

>> "Rob Rothwell" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>> news:[hidden email]...
>> This would be great, but I really need FFI for ODBC, and I just can't
>> get it to load into this image (3.10-7159)...
>
> please see - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6952
>
> There you will find a patch,
> ClassBuilder-nameinEnvironmentsubclassOftypeinstanceVariableNamesclassVariableNamespoolDictionariescategoryunsafe.st
> , which, when installed, allows FFI version 3.9.1 to be loaded into the
> squeak-dev and squeak-web images.

Did you verify whether the result is correct? It is very easy to screw
up the FFI and the result of those screwups are random crashes in the
calls. I'm somewhat suspicious about that workaround because I don't see
where ExternalType>>StructTypes would get installed if it isn't from
#doneCompiling.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Ken G. Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks again for your work Damien!
>
>  How much of Keith's stuff from <http://installer.pbwiki.com/> is included in  sq3.10-7159dev08.04.2, if any of it?

Not at all. I try to make squeak-dev on top of stock Squeak images. No
patches. However, if something is really needed, I can have look.

>  Particularly, are any of the
>         2.      Latest - MinorFixes, MajorFixes and PackageUpgrades
>         3.      LatestUnstable - MinorFixesUnstable, MajorFixesUnstable and PackageUpgradesUnstable
>  already in the image?
>
>  Thx,
>  Ken G. Brown
>

>  At 3:20 AM -0700 4/5/08, [hidden email] apparently wrote:
>  >Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:19:25 +0200
>  >From: "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]>
>  >Subject: [squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] April 2008 versions
>  >To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
>  >       <[hidden email]>,        "Seaside - general
>  >       discussion" <[hidden email]>
>

>  >Hi,
>  >
>  >I've just uploaded new squeak-dev and squeak-web images based on
>  >Squeak3.9.1-7075 and Squeak3.10-7159.

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] April 2008 versions

Rob Rothwell
Hmm...FFI did indeed appear to load, but my ODBC connection failed to successfully run a query...I got the old "could not coerce arguments error."

Rob

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 4:40 AM, Andrew Tween <[hidden email]> wrote:
"Rob Rothwell" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:[hidden email]...

This would be great, but I really need FFI for ODBC, and I just can't get it to load into this image (3.10-7159)...

please see - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6952

There you will find a patch, ClassBuilder-nameinEnvironmentsubclassOftypeinstanceVariableNamesclassVariableNamespoolDictionariescategoryunsafe.st , which, when installed, allows FFI version 3.9.1 to be loaded into the squeak-dev and squeak-web images.

Cheers,
Andy

[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] April 2008 versions

Andrew Tween
"Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Andrew Tween wrote:
>>> "Rob Rothwell" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>>> news:[hidden email]...
>>> This would be great, but I really need FFI for ODBC, and I just can't
>>> get it to load into this image (3.10-7159)...
>>
>> please see - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6952
>>
>> There you will find a patch,
>> ClassBuilder-nameinEnvironmentsubclassOftypeinstanceVariableNamesclassVariableNamespoolDictionariescategoryunsafe.st
>> , which, when installed, allows FFI version 3.9.1 to be loaded into the
>> squeak-dev and squeak-web images.
>
> Did you verify whether the result is correct? It is very easy to screw up
> the FFI and the result of those screwups are random crashes in the calls.
> I'm somewhat suspicious about that workaround because I don't see where
> ExternalType>>StructTypes would get installed if it isn't from
> #doneCompiling.

The only verification I did was to run the Win32 FFI examples and check they
work ok.

They way I understand it, StructTypes is initialized by the initialize
methods, not by doneCompiling.
doneCompiling calls ExternalType class>>noticeModificationOf: , which
modifies the existing elements of StructTypes, but doesn't add any new ones.

My patch causes the loader to ignore errors in noticeModificationOf:  caused
by StructTypes being nil.
Later on, StructTypes is initialized to some kind of Dictionary, and
noticeModificationOf: no longer causes any errors.

I think that modifying ExternalType class>>noticeModificationOf: so that it
does nothing if StructTypes is nil would have the same effect and solve the
problem in much the same way. i.e.
    noticeModificationOf: aClass
         "A subclass of ExternalStructure has been redefined.
         Clean out any obsolete references to its type."
     | type |
    StructTypes isNil ifTrue:[^self].

There is no value in setting StructTypes to a Dictionary at this point since
we know that a future initialize will overwrite it with an empty Dictionary.
And we know that that intialize hasn't already run, or StructTypes wouldn't
be nil.
And we know that nothing has tried to add an entry to StructTypes, or a
different error would have occured during loading.

Having said all that, I could easily be missing something here, and you are
right to be suspicious ;)
Cheers,
Andy

At 5:00 AM -0700 4/6/08, [hidden email] apparently wrote:
>Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 11:13:12 +0200
>From: "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] April 2008 versions
<snip>

> >  How much of Keith's stuff from <http://installer.pbwiki.com/> is included in  sq3.10-7159dev08.04.2, if any of it?
>

>Not at all. I try to make squeak-dev on top of stock Squeak images. No
>patches. However, if something is really needed, I can have look.

Ok. Thx.
It seems to me that using the Installer to load the 'Latest', and 'LatestUnstable' fixes is a great way to get the latest fixes into the image for trying things out. Otherwise fixes tend to get forgotten and don't ever get into the latest image. I'm thinking all the fixes from <http://installer.pbwiki.com/> must at least be good enough to try out and exercise to see if there are issues, before we put them into the image for good. At the moment trying to install 'MinorFixesUnstable' results in a dialog notifying of a syntax error.

Ken G. Brown

<snip>

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Ken G. Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  It seems to me that using the Installer to load the 'Latest', and 'LatestUnstable' fixes is a great way to get the latest fixes into the image for trying things out. Otherwise fixes tend to get forgotten and don't ever get into the latest image. I'm thinking all the fixes from <http://installer.pbwiki.com/> must at least be good enough to try out and exercise to see if there are issues, before we put them into the image for good. At the moment trying to install 'MinorFixesUnstable' results in a dialog notifying of a syntax error.

The problem is that people are working with these images. If a patch
is not stable, other developers won't like that. What I can do
however, is to add a documentation in the ScriptManager. This
documentation would contain a link which, once clicked, would load the
patches. What do you think?

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

RE: [squeak-dev] [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] April 2008 versions

Ramon Leon-5

> The problem is that people are working with these images. If
> a patch is not stable, other developers won't like that. What
> I can do however, is to add a documentation in the
> ScriptManager. This documentation would contain a link which,
> once clicked, would load the patches. What do you think?
>

> --
> Damien Cassou

Yes, much better option, don't patch the image by default, let the developer
decide what patches he wants to try.  I LIKE that squeak-dev is built on a
regular squeak image, stray too far from that and I'd have to go back to
hand building my own image from scratch.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

--- In [hidden email], "Damien Cassou" <damien.cassou@...> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Ken G. Brown <kbrown@...> wrote:
> >  It seems to me that using the Installer to load the 'Latest', and 'LatestUnstable' fixes is
a great way to get the latest fixes into the image for trying things out. Otherwise fixes
tend to get forgotten and don't ever get into the latest image. I'm thinking all the fixes
from <http://installer.pbwiki.com/> must at least be good enough to try out and exercise
to see if there are issues, before we put them into the image for good. At the moment
trying to install 'MinorFixesUnstable' results in a dialog notifying of a syntax error.

> The problem is that people are working with these images. If a patch
> is not stable, other developers won't like that. What I can do
> however, is to add a documentation in the ScriptManager. This
> documentation would contain a link which, once clicked, would load the
> patches. What do you think?
>

> --
> Damien Cassou

I think that would be a good idea. You already have a couple scripts there, you might want
to add all the stuff from <http://installer.pbwiki.com/> as optional. And tell how to see
documentation as to what all the fixes are before they get loaded.
As it is now, I am doing all that from my custom Installer script for rebuilding my desired
configuration on top of your latest dev images.

Having the latest fixes available from Script manager will go a long ways towards getting
the fixes tested more fully.

Ken G. Brown

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 6:26 PM, kengbrown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "Damien Cassou" <damien.cassou@...> wrote:
>

>  > On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Ken G. Brown <kbrown@...> wrote:
>  > >  It seems to me that using the Installer to load the 'Latest', and 'LatestUnstable' fixes is
>  a great way to get the latest fixes into the image for trying things out. Otherwise fixes
>  tend to get forgotten and don't ever get into the latest image. I'm thinking all the fixes
>  from <http://installer.pbwiki.com/> must at least be good enough to try out and exercise
>  to see if there are issues, before we put them into the image for good. At the moment
>  trying to install 'MinorFixesUnstable' results in a dialog notifying of a syntax error.
>  >
>  >
>  > The problem is that people are working with these images. If a patch
>  > is not stable, other developers won't like that. What I can do
>  > however, is to add a documentation in the ScriptManager. This
>  > documentation would contain a link which, once clicked, would load the
>  > patches. What do you think?
>  >
>  >
>  > --
>  > Damien Cassou
>
>  I think that would be a good idea. You already have a couple scripts there, you might want
>  to add all the stuff from <http://installer.pbwiki.com/> as optional. And tell how to see
>  documentation as to what all the fixes are before they get loaded.
>  As it is now, I am doing all that from my custom Installer script for rebuilding my desired
>  configuration on top of your latest dev images.
>
>  Having the latest fixes available from Script manager will go a long ways towards getting
>  the fixes tested more fully.

Could you please start working on that? You have full access on the
repository http://www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers/. You just
have to add methods in the 'construction - scripts' category of the
DEVImageCreator class.

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good
luck». (http://blogs.sun.com/ahe/entry/override_snafu)

[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Images] April 2008 versions

Andrew Tween
A bit more info...
When I run the FFIPlugin tests with Test Runner in sq3.10-7159dev08.04.1, I
get one failure and one error.
This seems to be due to the monticello loader not running the package
postscripts.

Manually evaluating,
   Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray
and re-running the tests results in no errors; all the tests pass.

Cheers,
Andy

news:ftapgb$ho2$[hidden email]...

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Andrew Tween <[hidden email]> wrote:
Manually evaluating,
 Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray
and re-running the tests results in no errors; all the tests pass.

Wow...this combined with the patch gets FFI working for ODBC at least...

Rob