[squeak-dev] Alternatives to inform:

stephane ducasse
Hi all

I would like to avoid to use inform: loading or other actions.
Is there anybody that worked on such an alternative?
I was thinking that may be something like toothpick or a logger could
be the
way to go but I would like to hear about alternatives before going in
that direction.

RE: [squeak-dev] Alternatives to inform:

Gary Chambers-4
One option would be to (temporarily, around a block, for instance) have an
alternative UIManager as default...

Colin Putney

On 3-Mar-08, at 1:59 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> I would like to avoid to use inform: loading or other actions.
> Is there anybody that worked on such an alternative?
> I was thinking that may be something like toothpick or a logger
> could be the
> way to go but I would like to hear about alternatives before going
> in that direction.

What are you trying to accomplish?

I've found that Notifications are good ways of handling user
interaction from low-level code. The default action can do the
conventional thing - open a FillInTheBlank or whatever - but higher
level code can intercept them, do something special, and resume with a
"user-supplied"  value.

Also... what's a toothpick?

Colin

Re: [squeak-dev] Alternatives to inform:

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Colin Putney <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 3-Mar-08, at 1:59 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

Also... what's a toothpick?

It's log4j for Squeak: http://www.metaprog.com/Toothpick/index.html

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] Alternatives to inform:

stephane ducasse
My goal is to have a version of squeak (let's call it sapphire) that
does not pop up windows all the time anywhere (especially annoying if
we want to have a
server or headless system).
So I plan to have a look at all the inform: and other in the packages
of sapphire and I would like to have a way to
provide feedback via an UI elements or not. I thought that I should
look at toothpick.

Stef

On Mar 4, 2008, at 3:07 AM, Colin Putney wrote:

> On 3-Mar-08, at 1:59 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> I would like to avoid to use inform: loading or other actions.
>> Is there anybody that worked on such an alternative?
>> I was thinking that may be something like toothpick or a logger
>> could be the
>> way to go but I would like to hear about alternatives before going
>> in that direction.
>
> What are you trying to accomplish?
>
> I've found that Notifications are good ways of handling user
> interaction from low-level code. The default action can do the
> conventional thing - open a FillInTheBlank or whatever - but higher
> level code can intercept them, do something special, and resume with
> a "user-supplied"  value.
>
> Also... what's a toothpick?
>
> Colin

Re: [squeak-dev] Alternatives to inform:

stephane ducasse

On Mar 4, 2008, at 3:07 AM, Colin Putney wrote:

> On 3-Mar-08, at 1:59 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> I would like to avoid to use inform: loading or other actions.
>> Is there anybody that worked on such an alternative?
>> I was thinking that may be something like toothpick or a logger
>> could be the
>> way to go but I would like to hear about alternatives before going
>> in that direction.
>
> What are you trying to accomplish?
>
> I've found that Notifications are good ways of handling user
> interaction from low-level code. The default action can do the
> conventional thing - open a FillInTheBlank or whatever - but higher
> level code can intercept them, do something special, and resume with
> a "user-supplied"  value.

I will play with the idea to see how it could work to change all the

> Also... what's a toothpick?

toothpick is a logging framework developed by joseph pelrine.

> Colin

Re: [squeak-dev] Alternatives to inform:

stephane ducasse
I just checked and I think that toothpick is good for logging but not
what I want to do.

On 4-Mar-08, at 12:46 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> My goal is to have a version of squeak (let's call it sapphire) that
> does not pop up windows all the time anywhere (especially annoying
> if we want to have a
> server or headless system).
> So I plan to have a look at all the inform: and other in the
> packages of sapphire and I would like to have a way to
> provide feedback via an UI elements or not. I thought that I should
> look at toothpick.

Aha. Then I definitely recommend Notifications. Take a look at
subclasses of OBInteractionRequest. OmniBrowser uses them everywhere
it needs to initiate interaction with the user - basically for opening
a menu or window. As a result, the same core code can work unchanged
with Morphic, a web UI via HTTP and a fake UI that's used for testing.

Cleaning up direct use of Morphic in Squeak is a worthy goal - please
share the code with us. I can certainly use it even if it doesn't go
into the main distribution. Here's a fix to Parser to get you started.

Colin

Parser.3.cs (14K) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] Alternatives to inform:

Igor Stasenko
On 04/03/2008, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My goal is to have a version of squeak (let's call it sapphire) that
>  does not pop up windows all the time anywhere (especially annoying if
>  we want to have a
>  server or headless system).
>  So I plan to have a look at all the inform: and other in the packages
>  of sapphire and I would like to have a way to
>  provide feedback via an UI elements or not. I thought that I should
>  look at toothpick.

I'm override default UI Tools exactly for the same reason: to prevent use of UI.
So, secondary image in Hydra instead of popping window which nobody
will see sends message to transcript, which then appears in main
image.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Alternatives to inform:

stephane ducasse
Thanks this is the kind of feedback I was looking for.
For now I was thinking not about morphic but all the places dealing
with change, code udpates....
but I will definitively look at yoru suggestion! Thanks again.

Sef

On Mar 5, 2008, at 4:16 AM, Colin Putney wrote:

> On 4-Mar-08, at 12:46 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> My goal is to have a version of squeak (let's call it sapphire)
>> that does not pop up windows all the time anywhere (especially
>> annoying if we want to have a
>> server or headless system).
>> So I plan to have a look at all the inform: and other in the
>> packages of sapphire and I would like to have a way to
>> provide feedback via an UI elements or not. I thought that I should
>> look at toothpick.
>
> Aha. Then I definitely recommend Notifications. Take a look at
> subclasses of OBInteractionRequest. OmniBrowser uses them everywhere
> it needs to initiate interaction with the user - basically for
> opening a menu or window. As a result, the same core code can work
> unchanged with Morphic, a web UI via HTTP and a fake UI that's used
> for testing.
>
> Cleaning up direct use of Morphic in Squeak is a worthy goal -
> please share the code with us. I can certainly use it even if it
> doesn't go into the main distribution. Here's a fix to Parser to get
> you started.
>
> Colin
>
> <Parser.3.cs>

Re: [squeak-dev] Alternatives to inform:

stephane ducasse
Hi colin

I was also looking at the way UIManager works and compare with your
approach. I'm trying to understand what is the
best or compromise between the two.

Stef