[squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

123

[squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip . The web is not done yet.

Some of the main ideas and objectives for Cuis are:

- Aimed at Smalltalk developers and people learning about Smalltalk
- Close to Smalltalk-80 and Dan Ingalls' ideas
- Compatible with the latest Squeak VMs
- MIT license (based on the work by Yoshiki Ohshima, from VPRI)
- Evolution by removing unnecessary complexity, not adding it
- Reduced Morphic
- No MVC or Etoys
- No M17N, Traits, Monticello, Omnibrowser, TTFonts, FreeType
- Includes support for building VM plugins, but not for building the VM
- Includes a set of high quality, antialiased StrikeFonts
- Backwards compatibility not important
- Include code from the Squeak project (various versions, Mantis,
squak-dev, etc)

Cuis is under MIT license. It is the result of several years of cleanup,
and it is currently being used in one commercial project. It is small
and fast, and good for dev and learning. Besides PCs, it also runs great
on older machines, PDAs and embedded devices.

I hope you like it.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Igor Stasenko
2009/3/27 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
> distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip . The web is not done yet.
>
> Some of the main ideas and objectives for Cuis are:
>
> - Aimed at Smalltalk developers and people learning about Smalltalk
> - Close to Smalltalk-80 and Dan Ingalls' ideas
> - Compatible with the latest Squeak VMs
> - MIT license (based on the work by Yoshiki Ohshima, from VPRI)
> - Evolution by removing unnecessary complexity, not adding it
> - Reduced Morphic
> - No MVC or Etoys
> - No M17N, Traits, Monticello, Omnibrowser, TTFonts, FreeType
> - Includes support for building VM plugins, but not for building the VM
> - Includes a set of high quality, antialiased StrikeFonts
> - Backwards compatibility not important
> - Include code from the Squeak project (various versions, Mantis, squak-dev,
> etc)
>
> Cuis is under MIT license. It is the result of several years of cleanup, and
> it is currently being used in one commercial project. It is small and fast,
> and good for dev and learning. Besides PCs, it also runs great on older
> machines, PDAs and embedded devices.
>
> I hope you like it.

Wow.. what a surprise :)

A note in 'About Cuis' states:
[[
The first outcome of that team splitting of Morphic in several
packages. As the Squeak community wasn't willing to start dropping
complexity (and functionality), we decided to maintain our own image.
]]

I think this is not the case today. I'm always thinking that splitting
Morphic onto separate parts would be best way towards modularity.

I like to see that browser in Cuis image feels much more responsible
comparing to OB. Maybe its not as complex as OB, but wery neat :) It
shows that GUI can be made fast in squeak, if people care about it :)

Also, i noticed all Morph classes are prepended with 'Old'.. which
means , obviously, that there should be something 'New' ?
I seen a LightWidgets code, but not see how to run/use it (examples
are empty). is it ready for use, or its still under work?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

keith1y

>> chines, PDAs and embedded devices.
>>
>> I hope you like it.
>>

> Wow.. what a surprise :)
>
> A note in 'About Cuis' states:
> [[
> The first outcome of that team splitting of Morphic in several
> packages. As the Squeak community wasn't willing to start dropping
> complexity (and functionality), we decided to maintain our own image.
> ]]
>
> I think this is not the case today. I'm always thinking that splitting
> Morphic onto separate parts would be best way towards modularity.

Agreed,

I think that many forkers are misreading completely what the "Squeak
Community" is willing or wants to do, as opposed to what we are able to do.

In the light of potential alternatives to Morphic (i.e. Juan's Morphic
3.0) my view of the way ahead is to move squeak in a direction where it
is possible to unload Morphic and load something else.

To achieve this I have always considered the first requirement to be
atomic loading and better tools.

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Ralph Johnson
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - No M17N, Traits, Monticello, Omnibrowser, TTFonts, FreeType

I assume that, though Monticello is not in the image, it is not hard
to add, since it doesn't depend on much.
Does Omnibrowser work?  Those are the two pieces that I would miss the most.

-Ralph

Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Juan Vuletich-4
My pleasure, Leandro!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2009/3/27 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
>> distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip . The web is not done yet.
>>
>> Some of the main ideas and objectives for Cuis are:
>>
>> - Aimed at Smalltalk developers and people learning about Smalltalk
>> - Close to Smalltalk-80 and Dan Ingalls' ideas
>> - Compatible with the latest Squeak VMs
>> - MIT license (based on the work by Yoshiki Ohshima, from VPRI)
>> - Evolution by removing unnecessary complexity, not adding it
>> - Reduced Morphic
>> - No MVC or Etoys
>> - No M17N, Traits, Monticello, Omnibrowser, TTFonts, FreeType
>> - Includes support for building VM plugins, but not for building the VM
>> - Includes a set of high quality, antialiased StrikeFonts
>> - Backwards compatibility not important
>> - Include code from the Squeak project (various versions, Mantis, squak-dev,
>> etc)
>>
>> Cuis is under MIT license. It is the result of several years of cleanup, and
>> it is currently being used in one commercial project. It is small and fast,
>> and good for dev and learning. Besides PCs, it also runs great on older
>> machines, PDAs and embedded devices.
>>
>> I hope you like it.
>>

> Wow.. what a surprise :)
>
> A note in 'About Cuis' states:
> [[
> The first outcome of that team splitting of Morphic in several
> packages. As the Squeak community wasn't willing to start dropping
> complexity (and functionality), we decided to maintain our own image.
> ]]
>
> I think this is not the case today. I'm always thinking that splitting
> Morphic onto separate parts would be best way towards modularity.

Sure. Everybody agrees on that. That's why we did split Morphic in 3
packages: Morphic, Morphic-Extras and EToys. But there is too much
dependency between them, and decoupling them in a way that would allow
them to be loaded back is too hard. So the hard decision is to
completely drop stuff. I removed Morphic-Extras and Etoys. They can not
be loaded back.

> I like to see that browser in Cuis image feels much more responsible
> comparing to OB. Maybe its not as complex as OB, but wery neat :) It
> shows that GUI can be made fast in squeak, if people care about it :)

Yes. Squeak used to run quite well on my old Pentium 300 Toshiba laptop.
> Also, i noticed all Morph classes are prepended with 'Old'.. which
> means , obviously, that there should be something 'New' ?

'New' is Morphic 3.0, my pet project. Not ready for public exposure yet...

> I seen a LightWidgets code, but not see how to run/use it (examples
> are empty). is it ready for use, or its still under work?

LightWidgets is a 'sub-framework' I wrote for doing simple UIs for
embedded devices. Our application works quite nicely on hardware so slow
that even Cuis browser feels sluggish. I didn't want to wait until
everything is documented before release. LightWidgets might be useful
for other people, and I intend to document and complete it. It uses a
particular programming style, not unlike pluggable views. You might want
to wait for some documentation before using it seriously.

BTW, Igor, I hope you think these deserve to be called 'Nice Fonts'.

Thanks for taking a look, and for your comments.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Keith Hodges wrote:

>>> chines, PDAs and embedded devices.
>>>
>>> I hope you like it.
>>>

>> Wow.. what a surprise :)
>>
>> A note in 'About Cuis' states:
>> [[
>> The first outcome of that team splitting of Morphic in several
>> packages. As the Squeak community wasn't willing to start dropping
>> complexity (and functionality), we decided to maintain our own image.
>> ]]
>>
>> I think this is not the case today. I'm always thinking that splitting
>> Morphic onto separate parts would be best way towards modularity.
>>

> Agreed,
>
> I think that many forkers are misreading completely what the "Squeak
> Community" is willing or wants to do, as opposed to what we are able to do.
>
> In the light of potential alternatives to Morphic (i.e. Juan's Morphic
> 3.0) my view of the way ahead is to move squeak in a direction where it
> is possible to unload Morphic and load something else.

That is of course what Cuis and Morphic 3 is all about.

> To achieve this I have always considered the first requirement to be
> atomic loading and better tools.
>
> Keith

I have always considered that the important part is to start removing
stuff, and clean and understand well what's left in. So, I just do it.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletichh

Ralph Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> - No M17N, Traits, Monticello, Omnibrowser, TTFonts, FreeType
>>

> I assume that, though Monticello is not in the image, it is not hard
> to add, since it doesn't depend on much.

I also think it should not be too hard to add. But I think Monticello
itself should be an optional package. That's why I removed it.

> Does Omnibrowser work?  Those are the two pieces that I would miss the most.
>
> -Ralph

Well, somebody would need to try. I believe Omnibrowser should be
optional too.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

[squeak-dev] Re: [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Andreas.Raab
Hi Juan -

Congrats. This is pretty neat. What version of Squeak did you originally
start from? I'm curious because I'm wondering how much of that work
would be applicable to Squeak.org (perhaps in some smaller chunks).

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
> distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip . The web is not done yet.
>
> Some of the main ideas and objectives for Cuis are:
>
> - Aimed at Smalltalk developers and people learning about Smalltalk
> - Close to Smalltalk-80 and Dan Ingalls' ideas
> - Compatible with the latest Squeak VMs
> - MIT license (based on the work by Yoshiki Ohshima, from VPRI)
> - Evolution by removing unnecessary complexity, not adding it
> - Reduced Morphic
> - No MVC or Etoys
> - No M17N, Traits, Monticello, Omnibrowser, TTFonts, FreeType
> - Includes support for building VM plugins, but not for building the VM
> - Includes a set of high quality, antialiased StrikeFonts
> - Backwards compatibility not important
> - Include code from the Squeak project (various versions, Mantis,
> squak-dev, etc)
>
> Cuis is under MIT license. It is the result of several years of cleanup,
> and it is currently being used in one commercial project. It is small
> and fast, and good for dev and learning. Besides PCs, it also runs great
> on older machines, PDAs and embedded devices.
>
> I hope you like it.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Avi Bryant-2
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
> distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip . The web is not done yet.

Great.

Just out of curiosity - given how generally minimal this distribution
is, why include stuff like the Linear Algebra, Signal Processing, and
Cryptography categories?  Or, say, Sound-Synthesis?  Is there some
particular application these are being used for?

Avi

[squeak-dev] Re: [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Juan,

on Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:16:07 +0100, you wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
> distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip .

Thank you Juan, this looks & feels good :)

> The web is not done yet.
>
> Some of the main ideas and objectives for Cuis are:
>
> - Aimed at Smalltalk developers and people learning about Smalltalk
> - Close to Smalltalk-80 and Dan Ingalls' ideas
> - Compatible with the latest Squeak VMs
> - MIT license (based on the work by Yoshiki Ohshima, from VPRI)
> - Evolution by removing unnecessary complexity, not adding it
> - Reduced Morphic

I'm under the impression that system windows flash when focused; is this
intended or can the flash be turned off somehow?

> - No MVC or Etoys

:) there is still one sender of #isMorphic and it causes DNU when doing
alt-W :(

> - No M17N, Traits, Monticello, Omnibrowser, TTFonts, FreeType

I have many platform fonts which I access with the FT2 plugin, do you plan
support or is there experience with FT2 running in Cuis?

> - Includes support for building VM plugins, but not for building the VM
> - Includes a set of high quality, antialiased StrikeFonts

Yay :) cr's and lf's no longer mysterious ghosts :)

> - Backwards compatibility not important

:) can I have my (#scrollBarsOnRight false) preference back?

> - Include code from the Squeak project (various versions, Mantis,
> squak-dev, etc)
>
> Cuis is under MIT license. It is the result of several years of cleanup,
> and it is currently being used in one commercial project. It is small
> and fast, and good for dev and learning. Besides PCs, it also runs great
> on older machines, PDAs and embedded devices.
>
> I hope you like it.

Thank you Juan, good work! I'll use Cuis instead of
Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic. Did I ask, can I have my (#scrollBarsOnRight
false) preference back? :)

/Klaus

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein

Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Edgar J. De Cleene

On 3/27/09 8:15 PM, "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/3/27 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
>> distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip . The web is not done yet.
>>
>> Some of the main ideas and objectives for Cuis are:
>>
>> - Aimed at Smalltalk developers and people learning about Smalltalk
>> - Close to Smalltalk-80 and Dan Ingalls' ideas
>> - Compatible with the latest Squeak VMs
>> - MIT license (based on the work by Yoshiki Ohshima, from VPRI)
>> - Evolution by removing unnecessary complexity, not adding it
>> - Reduced Morphic
>> - No MVC or Etoys
>> - No M17N, Traits, Monticello, Omnibrowser, TTFonts, FreeType
>> - Includes support for building VM plugins, but not for building the VM
>> - Includes a set of high quality, antialiased StrikeFonts
>> - Backwards compatibility not important
>> - Include code from the Squeak project (various versions, Mantis, squak-dev,
>> etc)
>>
>> Cuis is under MIT license. It is the result of several years of cleanup, and
>> it is currently being used in one commercial project. It is small and fast,
>> and good for dev and learning. Besides PCs, it also runs great on older
>> machines, PDAs and embedded devices.
>>
>> I hope you like it.

Yes!!!! And have all your work as inspirational.

> I think this is not the case today. I'm always thinking that splitting
> Morphic onto separate parts would be best way towards modularity.

My own fork take a different path to modularity and can load everything
back, but I don't have feedback for improve it.

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Damien Cassou-3
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - Include code from the Squeak project (various versions, Mantis, squak-dev,
> etc)

Do you remember what you did reuse from squeak-dev?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Damien Cassou-3
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
> distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip . The web is not done yet.

The content looks very ugly when using a composite window manager (I'm
on Ubuntu with Compiz). When switching off compiz, things looks ok.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Replacing Morphic (was Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution)

Bert Freudenberg
On 28.03.2009, at 04:19, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> A note in 'About Cuis' states:
>> [[
>> The first outcome of that team splitting of Morphic in several
>> packages. As the Squeak community wasn't willing to start dropping
>> complexity (and functionality), we decided to maintain our own image.
>> ]]
>>
>> I think this is not the case today. I'm always thinking that
>> splitting
>> Morphic onto separate parts would be best way towards modularity.
>>

> Sure. Everybody agrees on that. That's why we did split Morphic in 3
> packages: Morphic, Morphic-Extras and EToys. But there is too much
> dependency between them, and decoupling them in a way that would
> allow them to be loaded back is too hard. So the hard decision is to
> completely drop stuff. I removed Morphic-Extras and Etoys. They can
> not be loaded back.

Having seen various attempts at that I think splitting Morphic is
*not* the best way forward. Instead, I think the current FullMorphic
(i.e. including Etoys and all the goodies) should be treated as one
unit and there would be complete replacements for it. Support for
switching between different UIs would be added and once that is done,
one particular replacement could be a stripped-down Morphic like that
from Cuis. Or much more different replacements like (native) Brazil,
Tweak, etc.

- Bert -

Compositing problems (was Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution)

Bert Freudenberg

On 28.03.2009, at 11:20, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
>> distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip . The web is not
>> done yet.
>
> The content looks very ugly when using a composite window manager (I'm
> on Ubuntu with Compiz). When switching off compiz, things looks ok.

You should use the latest VM which supposedly fixes that. If it still
happens please post the output of "xdpyinfo".

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Juan Vuletich-4
Andreas Raab wrote:
> Hi Juan -
>
> Congrats. This is pretty neat. What version of Squeak did you
> originally start from? I'm curious because I'm wondering how much of
> that work would be applicable to Squeak.org (perhaps in some smaller
> chunks).
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
Thanks, Andreas!

I started from 3.7, before 3.8 existed. There are two kinds of work here.

First is stuff removal and cleanup. I think it is not worth to apply
this effort (a huge one) to a different image. I believe that efforts
for true Squeak kernel image would benefit a lot if they start from Cuis.

Second is a lot of smaller goodies and refactoring. This stuff could be
useful for other images. I have the work of the last year in this image
as over 150 small change sets. (They also include stuff from Mantis and
squeak-dev). I need to make these available and document them. I'll be
doing this during the next weeks.

I hope all this is of use for the official Squeak release. Not sure how.
I guess the board needs to come with a "where is Squeak headed", so we
know how to help.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
>> distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip . The web is not done yet.
>>

> Great.
>
> Just out of curiosity - given how generally minimal this distribution
> is, why include stuff like the Linear Algebra, Signal Processing, and
> Cryptography categories?  Or, say, Sound-Synthesis?  Is there some
> particular application these are being used for?
>
> Avi

:) You're right! It is also my personal image, so it has these kind of
things I use for my projects. I use the Signal Processing stuff for
Morphic 3 and I still intend to write an audio editor based on my
thesis. I guess I'd remove all this from Cuis.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Ann] Cuis: A new Squeak distribution

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Klaus,

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> Hi Juan,
>
> on Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:16:07 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce that Cuis is available. Cuis is a Squeak
>> distribution with emphasis on simplicity. You can download it from
>> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0158.zip .
>
> Thank you Juan, this looks & feels good :)
>
>> The web is not done yet.
>>
>> Some of the main ideas and objectives for Cuis are:
>>
>> - Aimed at Smalltalk developers and people learning about Smalltalk
>> - Close to Smalltalk-80 and Dan Ingalls' ideas
>> - Compatible with the latest Squeak VMs
>> - MIT license (based on the work by Yoshiki Ohshima, from VPRI)
>> - Evolution by removing unnecessary complexity, not adding it
>> - Reduced Morphic
>
> I'm under the impression that system windows flash when focused; is
> this intended or can the flash be turned off somehow?

No, it was not intended, and I don't see it... How do you make them
flash? Just clicking on each Workspace doesn't make them flash here...

>> - No MVC or Etoys
>
> :) there is still one sender of #isMorphic and it causes DNU when
> doing alt-W :(

Good! First bug report! It will be fixed in the next release.

>> - No M17N, Traits, Monticello, Omnibrowser, TTFonts, FreeType
>
> I have many platform fonts which I access with the FT2 plugin, do you
> plan support or is there experience with FT2 running in Cuis?

No. But you can load those fonts in Cuis anytime. You just need to build
a couple of files for importing, using some other Squeak environment
that does support FT2.

Anyway, I'm not planning to support optional packages myself. The base
system is already enough for one person! But you or anybody that wants
to support optional packages for Cuis will have my full support and
collaboration to make it happen and keep them running. This could be the
path to better modularity in Squeak if many people work on it!

>> - Includes support for building VM plugins, but not for building the VM
>> - Includes a set of high quality, antialiased StrikeFonts
>
> Yay :) cr's and lf's no longer mysterious ghosts :)

:)

>> - Backwards compatibility not important
>
> :) can I have my (#scrollBarsOnRight false) preference back?

Sure! You can implement it. It could be another community supported
optional package. Much simpler than FT2, I guess.

>> - Include code from the Squeak project (various versions, Mantis,
>> squak-dev, etc)
>>
>> Cuis is under MIT license. It is the result of several years of
>> cleanup, and it is currently being used in one commercial project. It
>> is small and fast, and good for dev and learning. Besides PCs, it
>> also runs great on older machines, PDAs and embedded devices.
>>
>> I hope you like it.
>
> Thank you Juan, good work! I'll use Cuis instead of
> Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic. Did I ask, can I have my (#scrollBarsOnRight
> false) preference back? :)
>
> /Klaus

Hey, this is great to know!

Cheers,