[squeak-dev] [Ann] LevelPlayingField update

[squeak-dev] [Ann] LevelPlayingField update

keith1y
Dear All,

the nice folks at pbwiki.com have offered us the opportunity to upgrade
to version 2 of their software. Unfortunately for us this upgrade is not
optional, and breaks all of LevelPlayingField. Just to prove how nice
they really are they gave us just 1 month of notice.

To be fair I talked with their technical support reps and they attempted
to be very helpful. However the new flashy html based editor really isnt
good for our simple scripts. So as of now, LevelPlayingField is no
longer using installer.pbwiki.com for web hosted scripts. Our account
does have have 20Gb of file space which is still quite useful.

Installer now has a secondary package Installer-Scripts, a facility for
providing default answers to requests like so:

Installer install: 'Packages'.

Invocation is still via the usual means

command line usage:
1. squeak old.image http://installer.pbwiki.com/f/LPF.st SmalltalkImage
save=new.image
workspace usage:
2. HTTPSocket httpFileIn: 'installer.pbwiki.com/f/LPF.st'.
universe usage:
3. Installer universe install: 'Monticello15'. "(or Monticello16)"

regards

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] LevelPlayingField update

Edgar J. De Cleene

On 2/23/09 3:40 AM, "Keith Hodges" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the nice folks at pbwiki.com have offered us the opportunity to upgrade
> to version 2 of their software. Unfortunately for us this upgrade is not
> optional, and breaks all of LevelPlayingField.

If you use http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak  as many times I ask you ....

Edgar

[squeak-dev] Re: [Ann] LevelPlayingField update

Klaus D. Witzel
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:33:39 +0100, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 2/23/09 3:40 AM, "Keith Hodges" wrote:
>
>> the nice folks at pbwiki.com have offered us the opportunity to upgrade
>> to version 2 of their software. Unfortunately for us this upgrade is not
>> optional, and breaks all of LevelPlayingField.
>
> If you use http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak  as many times I ask you ....

Edgar, this is sometimes an IP ownership problem, when people want to
demonstrate (many other reasons possible here) their control over their
own thing.

Take this example (no offense intended!)

- http://www.squeakvm.org/

As long as it is fun, I suggest you do not care (and instead, tackle the
next "problem" ;)

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Ann] LevelPlayingField update

Igor Stasenko
2009/2/23 Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:33:39 +0100, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>

>> On 2/23/09 3:40 AM, "Keith Hodges" wrote:
>>
>>> the nice folks at pbwiki.com have offered us the opportunity to upgrade
>>> to version 2 of their software. Unfortunately for us this upgrade is not
>>> optional, and breaks all of LevelPlayingField.
>>
>> If you use http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak  as many times I ask you ....
>
> Edgar, this is sometimes an IP ownership problem, when people want to
> demonstrate (many other reasons possible here) their control over their own
> thing.

AFAIK , Keith was unable to use swiki because of some incompabilities,
and now same problem with pbwiki which wants to migrate to version 2
and break any <code>..</code>
with fancy html, so it will be hard to parse it.

In a long run, i'd propose Keith to cooperate with Janko and settle
this down on squeak.org site, using aida wiki with guarantees that
some markup will be never changed in any future.
I hope its easy to add a new markup to wiki and seal it for forever,
like [installer] ... [/installer] or whatever.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Ann] LevelPlayingField update

Igor Stasenko
Keith,

i think this is the right situation to deal with this once and for all.
Write a Request for Feature for integration installer stuff with
squeak.org site.
And put it on table for Leadership & Web teams.

If you remember, from very start, i was against putting squeak-related
stuff on external hosting, to avoid such situations.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 2/23/09 3:40 AM, "Keith Hodges" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> the nice folks at pbwiki.com have offered us the opportunity to upgrade
>> to version 2 of their software. Unfortunately for us this upgrade is not
>> optional, and breaks all of LevelPlayingField.
>>

> If you use http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak  as many times I ask you ....
>
> Edgar
You can point Installer to any web page you like.

There were reasons why wiki.squeak.org/squeak was not suitable for LPF.
If I remember rightly the file management is not good enough.

cheers

Keith

Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Keith,
>
> i think this is the right situation to deal with this once and for all.
> Write a Request for Feature for integration installer stuff with
> squeak.org site.
> And put it on table for Leadership & Web teams.
>
> If you remember, from very start, i was against putting squeak-related
> stuff on external hosting, to avoid such situations.

I agree with you.

There were pros and cons. swiki doesnt have proper urls, and its file
management (a) is very limited. I could easily have put my own wiki up
and retained complete control, but then I am afraid that I would not
have been able to guarantee the uptime.

FYI: There is a new automatic low maintenance version of LPF.st, which
scans squeaksource for the latest, and loads the source from within the
mcz file obtained. This totally reduces the need for (a) to virtually zero.

Having transitioned to Installer-Scripts I am very pleased with the
result especially the speed.

The pbwiki, primarily fulfilled our need for bootstrapping code.
Installer-Scripts fulfil this purpose, so at present we dont have a need
for a permanent web site home for installler scripts. However...
Installer continues to be willing to be pointed at any web page, and the
exact tags it looks for are configurable via #markers:

For anyone who feels a need to bootstrap source code, a new feature of
Installer is available to fileIn the source.st file. This allows you to
write installer scripts to load Monticello packages, even if Monticello
itself has not been loaded, useful for those into small kernel images.

(Installer url:
'http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/Monticello.impl-kph.636.mcz') bootstrap

cheers

Keith