[squeak-dev] Attempting to get VMMaker properly on SqueakSource

[squeak-dev] Attempting to get VMMaker properly on SqueakSource

timrowledge
I'm currently trying to set up the VMMaker SqueakSource project so
that we can share access a bit more easily; things like adding people
as developers, putting some verbiage in the wiki etc.

Right now it's not going very well because the response time is
utterly dismal - with a capital *yawn* - and I'm wondering whether
others have this problem. If it's normal for everything to take so
long I think we won't be very happy.

tim
A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation.

Re: [squeak-dev] Attempting to get VMMaker properly on SqueakSource

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:45:44PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> I'm currently trying to set up the VMMaker SqueakSource project so
> that we can share access a bit more easily; things like adding people
> as developers, putting some verbiage in the wiki etc.

Bravo, thank you for doing this.

> Right now it's not going very well because the response time is
> utterly dismal - with a capital *yawn* - and I'm wondering whether
> others have this problem. If it's normal for everything to take so
> long I think we won't be very happy.

I've never had a problem with performance on SqueakSource. I don't
really know what SqueakSource does over the network, but it's pretty
common for network latency to be the dominant factor in performance
of things like this. From Michigan, I'm seeing a ping time of a bit
over 150 msec. For comparison, how is it looking from your location?

lewis@dtlewis:~> ping www.squeaksource.com
PING squeaksource.com (130.92.65.106) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from macamis.unibe.ch (130.92.65.106): icmp_seq=1 ttl=47 time=153 ms
64 bytes from macamis.unibe.ch (130.92.65.106): icmp_seq=2 ttl=47 time=152 ms
64 bytes from macamis.unibe.ch (130.92.65.106): icmp_seq=3 ttl=47 time=151 ms
64 bytes from macamis.unibe.ch (130.92.65.106): icmp_seq=4 ttl=47 time=152 ms
64 bytes from macamis.unibe.ch (130.92.65.106): icmp_seq=5 ttl=47 time=151 ms
64 bytes from macamis.unibe.ch (130.92.65.106): icmp_seq=6 ttl=47 time=152 ms
64 bytes from macamis.unibe.ch (130.92.65.106): icmp_seq=7 ttl=47 time=151 ms
64 bytes from macamis.unibe.ch (130.92.65.106): icmp_seq=8 ttl=47 time=153 ms

Dave

On 23-Jul-08, at 5:33 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:45:44PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
>> I'm currently trying to set up the VMMaker SqueakSource project so
>> that we can share access a bit more easily; things like adding people
>> as developers, putting some verbiage in the wiki etc.
>
> Bravo, thank you for doing this.

I *think* everything is uploaded now. It is certainly possible that I
could have missed an ancestor package somewhere along the line. Anyone
spotting a hole, please let me know.

>> Right now it's not going very well because the response time is
>> utterly dismal - with a capital *yawn* - and I'm wondering whether
>> others have this problem. If it's normal for everything to take so
>> long I think we won't be very happy.
>
> I've never had a problem with performance on SqueakSource. I don't
> really know what SqueakSource does over the network, but it's pretty
> common for network latency to be the dominant factor in performance
> of things like this. From Michigan, I'm seeing a ping time of a bit
> over 150 msec. For comparison, how is it looking from your location?
I see a couple of hundred mSec ping time but the issue that bugs me in
the slow response on the web side of the job. I seems to take 2-5 sec
to do most web transactions. Gets really annoying after a few dozen!

Anyway as I said, the upload is done and I've added several developers
to the project to see if we can make it work.
Dave, Andreas, Eliot, John & Ian are all signed in. The latest version
is from a month ago when I had time to 'fix' mantis 7072. If you look
at the bugs assigned to me you can get an idea of what should come next.

tim
Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day
consuming only things that are good for you.

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 06:27:05PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> Anyway as I said, the upload is done and I've added several developers
> to the project to see if we can make it work.

Absolutely great. Thank you.

Re: [squeak-dev] Attempting to get VMMaker properly on SqueakSource

stephane ducasse
+1

Stef

PS: sometimes squeaksource is slow. It happens to me from time to time.
Sometimes the server crashes also :)

On 23-Jul-08, at 7:16 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 06:27:05PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
>>
>> Anyway as I said, the upload is done and I've added several
>> developers
>> to the project to see if we can make it work.
>
> Absolutely great. Thank you.
Well, let's see how well it works for us before celebrating too much!

I've saved VMMaker-tpr.79 to squeaksource as an experiment. Can
everyone see it ok?

tim
Strange OpCodes: DCBP: Detonate Chair on Bad Password

Re: [squeak-dev] Attempting to get VMMaker properly on SqueakSource

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 2:02 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 23-Jul-08, at 7:16 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 06:27:05PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

Anyway as I said, the upload is done and I've added several developers
to the project to see if we can make it work.

Absolutely great. Thank you.
Well, let's see how well it works for us before celebrating too much!

I've saved VMMaker-tpr.79 to squeaksource as an experiment. Can everyone see it ok?

Can't look at the mo.  Having a James Herriot moment with a VM bug right now....
Strange OpCodes: DCBP: Detonate Chair on Bad Password

Re: [squeak-dev] Attempting to get VMMaker properly on SqueakSource

Ken Causey-3
On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 14:02 -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 23-Jul-08, at 7:16 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 06:27:05PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyway as I said, the upload is done and I've added several
> >> developers
> >> to the project to see if we can make it work.
> >
> > Absolutely great. Thank you.
> Well, let's see how well it works for us before celebrating too much!
>
> I've saved VMMaker-tpr.79 to squeaksource as an experiment. Can
> everyone see it ok?
Well, I can see it just fine.  Why wouldn't I be able to?  I'm not sure
why you are so hesitant.  SqueakSource is used by dozens of people (at
least) every day.  While it may be slow at times, particularly with
large packages, as I expect VMMaker is, and it may go down on occasion,
in general it works just fine.  You almost sound superstitious about
it. ;)

Ken

On 25-Jul-08, at 2:22 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

>> I've saved VMMaker-tpr.79 to squeaksource as an experiment. Can
>> everyone see it ok?
>
> Can't look at the mo.  Having a James Herriot moment with a VM bug
> right now....
Err, as in you've got your arm up a cows bum?

tim
Strange OpCodes: XM: Exclusive Maybe

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 02:02:51PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> I've saved VMMaker-tpr.79 to squeaksource as an experiment. Can
> everyone see it ok?

Yes, it's there, no worries. I see also that you have added all of
the earlier versions back to VMMaker-tpr.2.mcz. Thanks for that,
it's really nice to be able to browse backwards and see when things
changed. Must have been a solid hour of aggrivation getting it all
uploaded, but much appreciated.

Dave