[squeak-dev] Can I sneak in a Monticello save into this running image?

[squeak-dev] Can I sneak in a Monticello save into this running image?

Sophie424
I've got my image in some loop, quite unresponsive (XP) and 100% CPU. If I
try to close the window I get the "quit squeak without saving" dialog, and
(presumably due to some UI thread blocking on the dialog) CPU drops to 0.

In this state is there any way to sneak in a Monticello save of my working
package?

Thanks!

Sophie

Re: [squeak-dev] Can I sneak in a Monticello save into this running image?

Damien Cassou-3
Is anything happening when you press ALT+.?

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good

[squeak-dev] Re: Can I sneak in a Monticello save into this running image?

Andreas.Raab
There is no direct way to do this. However, you can try a few other
things: First thing to try is to hit Alt-. (Alt-Period, Alt-Dot) and see
if your image reacts to it. It usually should. If not, press F2, go to
"Debug Options" and choose "Dump call stack". This should tell you what
is going wrong in your image - sometimes this allows you to fix things
externally (by deleting files that will cause a notifier etc). If not,
quit the image, start it anew, go to the world menu, "changes..." and
"recently logged changes...". This allows you to recover your changes.
And if your image is toast, start another one, go to the file list,
select the other changes file and "recent changes" to see the last
changes. One of these should be able to help you along.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

itsme213 wrote:

> I've got my image in some loop, quite unresponsive (XP) and 100% CPU. If I
> try to close the window I get the "quit squeak without saving" dialog, and
> (presumably due to some UI thread blocking on the dialog) CPU drops to 0.
>
> In this state is there any way to sneak in a Monticello save of my working
> package?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sophie

[squeak-dev] Re: Can I sneak in a Monticello save into this runningimage?

Sophie424
"Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]> wrote
> Is anything happening when you press ALT+.?

Thank you!! [I should go back to posting to newbies list]

[squeak-dev] Re: Can I sneak in a Monticello save into this runningimage?

Sophie424
"Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> However, you can try a few other things: .......

Thank you Andreas. I've saved your post for the next inevitable time I need
it :-)

Sophie

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Can I sneak in a Monticello save into this runningimage?

Damien Cassou-3
On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 8:42 AM, itsme213 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]> wrote
>> Is anything happening when you press ALT+.?
>
> Thank you!! [I should go back to posting to newbies list]

The newbies list is only here for people afraid of posting in
squeak-dev. If you are not, please continue to post here :-)

Damien Cassou wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 8:42 AM, itsme213 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]> wrote
>>> Is anything happening when you press ALT+.?
>> Thank you!! [I should go back to posting to newbies list]
>
> The newbies list is only here for people afraid of posting in
> squeak-dev. If you are not, please continue to post here :-)

And of course, in emergency situations (yours sounded like it) post on
both. You never know where you might get a faster response.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Can I sneak in a Monticello save into this runningimage?

keith1y
If you are running an LPF image I think that Installer-Launcher has a
hook for running scripts earlier in the startup process.

Keith