[squeak-dev] Can a squeak source program that I develop, be

[squeak-dev] Can a squeak source program that I develop, be

vmars
2009/7/11 vmars <vmars at rgv.rr.com>:

> http://www.squeak.org/
>
> Greetings;
>
> Can a squeak source program that I develop, be turned into an (windows)
> *.exe file?.
> If so, is it a long painful process, as in VisualWorks. Or is it
> reasonably
> simple?
> And if so, How large are the exe files, say, related to Pascal or Basic
> exe's?

In other words, you want to embed an image into .exe file, together with VM?
Why you can't just ship .exe + .image?

Greetings;
Sorry to answer direct via email, I couldn't find anywhere to REPLY at :
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-July/137361.html

"Why you can't just ship .exe + .image?"
Yes, ship .exe is exactly what I want to do.

My impression is that it is a herrendous ordeal to go thru to turn a pgm
developed by me into an *.exe file for windows, that I can distrubute. Its
also my impression that pgms developed with squeak or smalltalk, are meant
to run on other smallTalk systems. Rather than just running on any windows
system without smallTtalk iinstalled.
Is any of this true, or is it easy to turn a squeak/smallTalk pgm into
pgm.exe ?

Thanks!

ô¿ô
 V  e  r  n

WinXp, Vista,  Delphi5, BlueVoda WebBuilder, wxEuphoria 3.1, HotBasic,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vmars956/, http://www.FacesSpeak.com,
http://www.ObamaBeam.com

[squeak-dev] Re: Can a squeak source program that I develop, be

Andreas.Raab
vmars wrote:
> Sorry to answer direct via email, I couldn't find anywhere to REPLY at :
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-July/137361.html

Try using Nabble instead:

http://www.nabble.com/-squeak-dev--Can-a-squeak-source-program-that-I-develop%2C-be-to24436083.html

> My impression is that it is a herrendous ordeal to go thru to turn a pgm
> developed by me into an *.exe file for windows, that I can distrubute.

It's a bit work but not a horrendous ordeal. You need basically 3 pieces:

1) The Executable. The executable can be a renamed Squeak.exe. Say you
want to ship an app that's running the towers of Hanoi, you'd rename
Squeak.exe to TheTowersOfHanoi.exe

2) The Image. The image can be renamed to whatever you'd like it, say
TheTowersOfHanoi.dat (to hide the fact that it's a Squeak image file)

3) The INI file. It tells the executable to launch the image and various
other parts. This is described in detail under "Deployment Settings" in
the document at:
    http://squeakvm.org/win32/settings.html

Cheers,
   - Andreas