[squeak-dev] Controlling Arduino with Squeak Etoys

[squeak-dev] Controlling Arduino with Squeak Etoys

Ricardo Moran
Hi folks!

I've just wanted to show you the new stuff we've been working on for the past few weeks: an Etoy to interact with an Arduino board to control electronic components.

In case you don't know what an Arduino is, you can check out this website: http://www.arduino.cc/. In summary, Arduino is a great hardware platform intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive objects or environments. And now we can control it with Squeak Etoys!

It's not ready yet, but I hope we'll make it available sometime this week. If you're a robotic enthusiast I know you'll find this interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_IYlDbBlEs

Check out our blog for more information: http://www.tecnodacta.com.ar/gira

Have fun!

Re: [squeak-dev] Controlling Arduino with Squeak Etoys

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Ricardo,

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Ricardo Moran<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've just wanted to show you the new stuff we've been working on for the
> past few weeks: an Etoy to interact with an Arduino board to control
> electronic components.

oh wow. This is so cool it swims in milk.

> ... And now we can control it with Squeak Etoys!

One thing I cannot avoid to point out is that the control of the
Arduino with the Etoy widget is quite low-level; i.e., it's not
*really* in the spirit of Etoys. As far as I understand that
philosophy, there would, e.g., for the "blink a LED" example, have to
be an Etoys LED with an attached script that blinks it, and with some
attached configuration that maps it to the required Arduino hard- and
software.

That said, it is nonetheless very very cool. I was actually on the
verge of starting to implement Squeak connectivity for Arduino
Duemlianuove (now that Phidgets and Lego Mindstorms NXT are
supported). It seems that's been done, and I cannot wait to see the
code that drives this.

> It's not ready yet, but I hope we'll make it available sometime this week.

Please do. I'm already itching. :-D

> Check out our blog for more information: http://www.tecnodacta.com.ar/gira

*Click* ...

Best,

Michael

Re: [squeak-dev] Controlling Arduino with Squeak Etoys

Randal L. Schwartz

Ricardo> I've just wanted to show you the new stuff we've been working on for the
Ricardo> past few weeks: an Etoy to interact with an Arduino board to control
Ricardo> electronic components.

And if you need more background on the Arduino, we interviewed one of the lead
developers (Massimo Banzi) on my FLOSS Weekly podcast earlier this year.  See
http://twit.tv/floss61 for info and download.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: [squeak-dev] Controlling Arduino with Squeak Etoys

garduino
Excellent!

I was trying something similar some years ago (with a serial Arduino)
and abandoned by lack of time
and some problems with the serial interface.

Excellent work!

Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com

2009/9/7 Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]>:

> Hi folks!
> I've just wanted to show you the new stuff we've been working on for the
> past few weeks: an Etoy to interact with an Arduino board to control
> electronic components.
> In case you don't know what an Arduino is, you can check out this
> website: http://www.arduino.cc/. In summary, Arduino is a great hardware
> platform intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested
> in creating interactive objects or environments. And now we can control it
> with Squeak Etoys!
> It's not ready yet, but I hope we'll make it available sometime this week.
> If you're a robotic enthusiast I know you'll find this
> interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_IYlDbBlEs
> Check out our blog for more information: http://www.tecnodacta.com.ar/gira
>
> Have fun!

Re: [squeak-dev] Controlling Arduino with Squeak Etoys

Ricardo Moran
Thanks, I will look at it.

Cheers

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ricardo> I've just wanted to show you the new stuff we've been working on for the
Ricardo> past few weeks: an Etoy to interact with an Arduino board to control
Ricardo> electronic components.

And if you need more background on the Arduino, we interviewed one of the lead
developers (Massimo Banzi) on my FLOSS Weekly podcast earlier this year.  See
http://twit.tv/floss61 for info and download.

Re: [squeak-dev] Controlling Arduino with Squeak Etoys

Ricardo Moran
Thanks Germán!

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excellent!

I was trying something similar some years ago (with a serial Arduino)
and abandoned by lack of time
and some problems with the serial interface.

Excellent work!

Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com

2009/9/7 Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]>:
> Hi folks!
> I've just wanted to show you the new stuff we've been working on for the
> past few weeks: an Etoy to interact with an Arduino board to control
> electronic components.
> In case you don't know what an Arduino is, you can check out this
> website: http://www.arduino.cc/. In summary, Arduino is a great hardware
> platform intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested
> in creating interactive objects or environments. And now we can control it
> with Squeak Etoys!
> It's not ready yet, but I hope we'll make it available sometime this week.
> If you're a robotic enthusiast I know you'll find this
> interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_IYlDbBlEs
> Check out our blog for more information: http://www.tecnodacta.com.ar/gira
>
> Have fun!

Re: [squeak-dev] Controlling Arduino with Squeak Etoys

Ricardo Moran
I'm glad you liked it! I know what you are saying about the Led etoy. Actually we have already done it, but the video had been made first. Now we are working on other etoys such as stepper motors, buttons, potentiometers and so on.

Cheers

led etoy 2.JPG (46K) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] Controlling Arduino with Squeak Etoys

Michael Haupt-3
Hi again,

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Ricardo Moran<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm glad you liked it! I know what you are saying about the Led etoy.
> Actually we have already done it, but the video had been made first. Now we
> are working on other etoys such as stepper motors, buttons, potentiometers
> and so on.

the itching now becomes painful. This is PhidgetLab for Arduino all
along. Almost too good to be true.

BTW I sadly have to admit that I don't speak Spanish and am therefore
rather inept when it comes to reading the blog posts ... :-(

Best,

Michael

Re: [squeak-dev] Controlling Arduino with Squeak Etoys

Ricardo Moran
I think sooner or later we'll be publishing in both english and spanish. That seems like a lot of work, though :P