[squeak-dev] Cuis update - Separate change sets for goodies available

[squeak-dev] Cuis update - Separate change sets for goodies available

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

I've just uploaded http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0169.zip . I
did some refactoring and cleanup in ScrollPane and ScrollBar. Now
Browser openBrowser takes almost half the time! I also added back the
preference for scrollbars on left. So, Klaus, you don't need to do it.

(These were already in previous release, 0166: I removed the Old prefix
from Morphic classes, to ease loading code from other Squeak
distributions. I also changed fonts to use just 16bpp and not 32. The
difference is invisible to my eyes, and they use half the space. And I
fixed the #isMorphic bug reported by Klaus. )

I also uploaded http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CuisUpdatesUpTo0169.zip .
This file includes the change sets of the last year. I don't have older
ones available in cs form, but most goodies and tweaks that could be
useful for other Squeak distributions are here. This
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CategoriesAndChangeSets.txt is the detail
of which changesets belong to which of the following categories:

- Rename class and update references goodie
- Process scheduling enh
- MessageTally enh
- Logging and ChangeSet enhancements
- Dan's == with SmallIntegers
- Affected class categories goodie
- Protocol Catcher goodie
- Nicer Cursors
- Chronology enh
- Parser enh
- ProgressBar enh
- Text cleanup and refactoring
- ScrollPane and ScrollBar cleanup & refacto
- NiceFonts
- Code authorship and relicensing
- Focus navigation and enh
- Pointer explorer goodie
- Code evaluation fixes
- Remote cursor sender goodie
- Semaphores, Delays and Processes
- Misc goodies and lesser tweaks
- Cleanup
- Morphic / LightWidgets

Comments welcome.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [squeak-dev] Cuis update - Separate change sets for goodies available

Gonzalo Romano
cool!, but the links are wrong...

        i think they are: http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-169.zip
                                http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CuisUpdatesUpTo169.zip

cheers!
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 10:28:28 -0300, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've just uploaded http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0169.zip . I
> did some refactoring and cleanup in ScrollPane and ScrollBar. Now
> Browser openBrowser takes almost half the time! I also added back the
> preference for scrollbars on left. So, Klaus, you don't need to do it.
>
> (These were already in previous release, 0166: I removed the Old prefix
> from Morphic classes, to ease loading code from other Squeak
> distributions. I also changed fonts to use just 16bpp and not 32. The
> difference is invisible to my eyes, and they use half the space. And I
> fixed the #isMorphic bug reported by Klaus. )
>
> I also uploaded http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CuisUpdatesUpTo0169.zip .
> This file includes the change sets of the last year. I don't have older
> ones available in cs form, but most goodies and tweaks that could be
> useful for other Squeak distributions are here. This
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CategoriesAndChangeSets.txt is the detail
> of which changesets belong to which of the following categories:
>
> - Rename class and update references goodie
> - Process scheduling enh
> - MessageTally enh
> - Logging and ChangeSet enhancements
> - Dan's == with SmallIntegers
> - Affected class categories goodie
> - Protocol Catcher goodie
> - Nicer Cursors
> - Chronology enh
> - Parser enh
> - ProgressBar enh
> - Text cleanup and refactoring
> - ScrollPane and ScrollBar cleanup & refacto
> - NiceFonts
> - Code authorship and relicensing
> - Focus navigation and enh
> - Pointer explorer goodie
> - Code evaluation fixes
> - Remote cursor sender goodie
> - Semaphores, Delays and Processes
> - Misc goodies and lesser tweaks
> - Cleanup
> - Morphic / LightWidgets
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

[squeak-dev] Re: Cuis update - Separate change sets for goodies available

Klaus D. Witzel
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 15:28:28 +0200, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've just uploaded http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0169.zip . I
> did some refactoring and cleanup in ScrollPane and ScrollBar. Now
> Browser openBrowser takes almost half the time! I also added back the
> preference for scrollbars on left. So, Klaus, you don't need to do it.

Thank you Juan :) it works when there is just one pane in a "row" with a
scrollbar but, in a browser with categories, classes and method lists
side-by-side, clicking the scrollbar seems to send the event to the
(unrelated) list which ends at the srollbar's left. This seems to be deep
morphic vodoo it resisted my debugging attempts ...

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein

Gonzalo Romano wrote:
> cool!, but the links are wrong...
>
>     i think they are:    http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-169.zip
>                 http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CuisUpdatesUpTo169.zip
>
> cheers!
You're right. Thanks!
Juan Vuletich

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Cuis update - Separate change sets for goodies available

Juan Vuletich-4
Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 15:28:28 +0200, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I've just uploaded http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0169.zip . I
>> did some refactoring and cleanup in ScrollPane and ScrollBar. Now
>> Browser openBrowser takes almost half the time! I also added back the
>> preference for scrollbars on left. So, Klaus, you don't need to do it.
>>

> Thank you Juan :) it works when there is just one pane in a "row" with
> a scrollbar but, in a browser with categories, classes and method
> lists side-by-side, clicking the scrollbar seems to send the event to
> the (unrelated) list which ends at the srollbar's left. This seems to
> be deep morphic vodoo it resisted my debugging attempts ...

Thanks Klaus. It is fixed in a new release
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0171.zip . I also updated
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CuisUpdatesUpTo0171.zip .

Can you believe? A Squeak distribution with bugs fixed in less than a
day :) !

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 14:22:13 +0200, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 15:28:28 +0200, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I've just uploaded http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0169.zip . I
>>> did some refactoring and cleanup in ScrollPane and ScrollBar. Now
>>> Browser openBrowser takes almost half the time! I also added back the
>>> preference for scrollbars on left. So, Klaus, you don't need to do it.
>>>

>> Thank you Juan :) it works when there is just one pane in a "row" with
>> a scrollbar but, in a browser with categories, classes and method lists
>> side-by-side, clicking the scrollbar seems to send the event to the
>> (unrelated) list which ends at the srollbar's left. This seems to be
>> deep morphic vodoo it resisted my debugging attempts ...
>>
> Thanks Klaus. It is fixed in a new release
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0171.zip . I also updated
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CuisUpdatesUpTo0171.zip .

Awesome :) scrollbars like in Smalltalk, only displayed when they *really*
have something to tell to their user, even so for partially obscured
system windows :)

Thanks much Juan :)

> Can you believe? A Squeak distribution with bugs fixed in less than a
> day :) !

:)

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

[squeak-dev] Re: Cuis update - Separate change sets for goodiesavailable

Sophie424
"Juan Vuletich" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just uploaded http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis1.0-0169.zip

Wow. The UI responsiveness is amazing!

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Cuis update - Separate change sets for goodies available

Hans-Martin Mosner
Juan Vuletich schrieb:

> Can you believe? A Squeak distribution with bugs fixed in less than a
> day :) !
That's really great (the image and your bugfixing speed) :-)
I was pleasantly surprised at the snappiness of the UI in this image,
and mildly annoyed by the flashing in SystemWindow>>activate.
That one seems intentional, but I'd guess most users can do without...

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:

> Juan Vuletich schrieb:
>
>> Can you believe? A Squeak distribution with bugs fixed in less than a
>> day :) !
>>
> That's really great (the image and your bugfixing speed) :-)
> I was pleasantly surprised at the snappiness of the UI in this image,
> and mildly annoyed by the flashing in SystemWindow>>activate.
> That one seems intentional, but I'd guess most users can do without...
>
> Cheers,
> Hans-Martin

Hi Hans-Martin!

The annoying flashing is for knowing what's the current keyboard focus.
Please open a Browser and play with cmd/alt + arrow keys. You can
navigate to each list, and then select a class, category, etc with the
arrows, to move to the next one. The flashing tells you here your next
keystroke will go. May be this is not obvious, and ugly. I need a better
user feedback for keyboard focus. I still haven't found it.

Suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

[squeak-dev] Re: Re: Cuis update - Separate change sets for goodiesavailable

Sophie424

"Juan Vuletich" <[hidden email]> wrote
> The annoying flashing is for knowing what's the current keyboard focus.
> Suggestions welcome!

Perhaps a thin border around the window or pane that has the focus? The
highlight persists, as opposed to flash once. I've seen it used nicely in
some OSX apps.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Re: Cuis update - Separate change sets for goodiesavailable

Juan Vuletich-4
Sophie (itsme213) wrote:

> "Juan Vuletich" <[hidden email]> wrote
>
>> The annoying flashing is for knowing what's the current keyboard focus.
>> Suggestions welcome!
>>

> Perhaps a thin border around the window or pane that has the focus? The
> highlight persists, as opposed to flash once. I've seen it used nicely in
> some OSX apps.

Hey, good idea!

We are already using a thin red border for "unaccepted text". I guess
using some other color to show focus could be good. We'll need to be
able to tell 4 different states. Perhaps something like: clean/noFocus
(no border), clean/focused (gray border), dirty/focused (red border),
dirty/noFocus (darker red border). I'll experiment a bit with this. Stay
tuned!

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich