[squeak-dev] Cuis updated to #0228

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

A new release of Cuis is available at
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html . It includes some bugfixes and
more cleanup.

Some might remember
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-February/124960.html
. It was a discussion about the dangers of using the result of #fork and
friends, and the convenience of first creating the process, storing it
somewhere and later doing #resume. In this release of Cuis, all callers
of #fork and friends that needed the return value were changed for that
pattern, and now #fork and friends simply return nil. This is the way to
avoid those nasty bugs.

Another interesting tweak was the reuse of Delays instead of creating
new ones in several places. This enhances performance, and reduces GC
stress.

As usual, all the updates starting at #0001 are available separately,
and described in
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CategoriesAndChangeSets.txt . This could
be useful for users of other Squeak images wanting some of the bug fixes
and enhancements included in Cuis.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

[squeak-dev] Re: Cuis updated to #0228

Andreas.Raab
Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Some might remember
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-February/124960.html
> . It was a discussion about the dangers of using the result of #fork and
> friends, and the convenience of first creating the process, storing it
> somewhere and later doing #resume. In this release of Cuis, all callers
> of #fork and friends that needed the return value were changed for that
> pattern, and now #fork and friends simply return nil. This is the way to
> avoid those nasty bugs.

I really like that solution. It's simple and ensures people know what
they're doing.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Cuis updated to #0228

Igor Stasenko
2009/7/17 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>>
>> Some might remember
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-February/124960.html
>> . It was a discussion about the dangers of using the result of #fork and
>> friends, and the convenience of first creating the process, storing it
>> somewhere and later doing #resume. In this release of Cuis, all callers of
>> #fork and friends that needed the return value were changed for that
>> pattern, and now #fork and friends simply return nil. This is the way to
>> avoid those nasty bugs.
>
> I really like that solution. It's simple and ensures people know what
> they're doing.

+1
Good to know that someone put that discussion fruits into a practical
plane, even if in own fork :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Andreas Raab wrote:

> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> Some might remember
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-February/124960.html
>> . It was a discussion about the dangers of using the result of #fork
>> and friends, and the convenience of first creating the process,
>> storing it somewhere and later doing #resume. In this release of
>> Cuis, all callers of #fork and friends that needed the return value
>> were changed for that pattern, and now #fork and friends simply
>> return nil. This is the way to avoid those nasty bugs.
>
> I really like that solution. It's simple and ensures people know what
> they're doing.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
Thanks! :)