[squeak-dev] Enh to AA StrikeFonts now in Trunk

[squeak-dev] Enh to AA StrikeFonts now in Trunk

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

I uploaded a few enh to BitmapDejaVu to the trunk. I enhanced the
(fixed) kerning, especially for italic fonts. Now they are on par with
Cuis again.

I had a couple of small problems with MC.
- For some reason, an email was sent about Graphics-jmv.68, but not
about Graphics-jmv.67. Don't know if this matters at all.
- It is needed to run StrikeFont installDejaVu. This is supposed to be
in the postscript of both versions, but it is not run when I update from
trunk. Any help with this is greatly appreciated, as the new, nicer
breed of fonts is not activated if this is not run.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

[squeak-dev] Re: Enh to AA StrikeFonts now in Trunk

Andreas.Raab
Juan Vuletich wrote:
> I uploaded a few enh to BitmapDejaVu to the trunk. I enhanced the
> (fixed) kerning, especially for italic fonts. Now they are on par with
> Cuis again.

Great! Thank you so much!

> I had a couple of small problems with MC.
> - For some reason, an email was sent about Graphics-jmv.68, but not
> about Graphics-jmv.67. Don't know if this matters at all.

Shouldn't be a problem, I think. This is just a server notification and
I just updated and it loaded fine.

> - It is needed to run StrikeFont installDejaVu. This is supposed to be
> in the postscript of both versions, but it is not run when I update from
> trunk. Any help with this is greatly appreciated, as the new, nicer
> breed of fonts is not activated if this is not run.

If you're having problems with this, you could just add a method
StrikeFont class>>initialize which calls installDejaVu. If you ever need
to change the fonts again just touch the method - when MC loads a newer
version of a class initialize method it will execute it again.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Enh to AA StrikeFonts now in Trunk

Bert Freudenberg

On 23.08.2009, at 00:31, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I uploaded a few enh to BitmapDejaVu to the trunk. I enhanced the
> (fixed) kerning, especially for italic fonts. Now they are on par
> with Cuis again.
>
> I had a couple of small problems with MC.
> - For some reason, an email was sent about Graphics-jmv.68, but not
> about Graphics-jmv.67. Don't know if this matters at all.

I think Ken mentioned something about a huge diff not being
delivered ...

> - It is needed to run StrikeFont installDejaVu. This is supposed to
> be in the postscript of both versions, but it is not run when I
> update from trunk. Any help with this is greatly appreciated, as the
> new, nicer breed of fonts is not activated if this is not run.

We need to update the MC version running on the squeaksource server,
which cannot deal with postscripts. I just did not dare to touch the
running system yet - this is 3.7 and I expect hurdles upgrading MC.

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Enh to AA StrikeFonts now in Trunk

Juan Vuletich-4
Andreas Raab wrote:

> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> I uploaded a few enh to BitmapDejaVu to the trunk. I enhanced the
>> (fixed) kerning, especially for italic fonts. Now they are on par
>> with Cuis again.
>
> Great! Thank you so much!
>
>> I had a couple of small problems with MC.
>> - For some reason, an email was sent about Graphics-jmv.68, but not
>> about Graphics-jmv.67. Don't know if this matters at all.
>
> Shouldn't be a problem, I think. This is just a server notification
> and I just updated and it loaded fine.
>
>> - It is needed to run StrikeFont installDejaVu. This is supposed to
>> be in the postscript of both versions, but it is not run when I
>> update from trunk. Any help with this is greatly appreciated, as the
>> new, nicer breed of fonts is not activated if this is not run.
>
> If you're having problems with this, you could just add a method
> StrikeFont class>>initialize which calls installDejaVu. If you ever
> need to change the fonts again just touch the method - when MC loads a
> newer version of a class initialize method it will execute it again.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Done. Thank you!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

source.squeak.org notification limits (was Re: [squeak-dev] Enh to AA StrikeFonts now in Trunk)

Ken Causey-3
On Sun, 2009-08-23 at 02:40 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 23.08.2009, at 00:31, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> > I had a couple of small problems with MC.
> > - For some reason, an email was sent about Graphics-jmv.68, but not
> > about Graphics-jmv.67. Don't know if this matters at all.
>
> I think Ken mentioned something about a huge diff not being
> delivered ...

Indeed.  Squeak-dev automatically blocks any message over 100KB which is
quite reasonable, certainly if the text of the message in itself exceeds
100KB which would be the case here.  But of course we would like the
notification sent in some form.  I suppose the solution is to just leave
off the diff if it exceeds some reasonable size (say 20KB?) as no one is
too likely to want to look through so much code in an email anyway.
This should probably be a per-project or even per-receiver configuration
option since the limit is largely defined by the receiver.

I've added this to my todo list, but it's rather far down at the moment,
so contributions are welcome.

http://squeaksource.com/ss.html

Ken