[squeak-dev] Facelift in trunk (and more)

[squeak-dev] Facelift in trunk (and more)

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

After the positive feedback about Facelift and Botox I've taken the
liberty to add those changes to the trunk and consequently bring them
down upon you ;-) The idea here is that you can try them and form an
informed opinion. The main question that you should ask yourself is
whether you feel that the updated look is an improvement over the
previous look. Personally, I'm answering this question with a resounding
"Yes!"; I think we've greatly improved the out of the box experience.

The work is by no means finished. We do need better colors for the
windows; they don't work too well right now. We also need better
performance, the look is *very* slow right now (but fixing that is easy;
I just need to find a spare minute). Help on any or all of these issues
is greatly welcome.

As a consequence of the need for a custom background (the blue gradient
doesn't work at all with the Facelift look), I've also started the first
round of project refactoring, which makes Project an abstract class and
splits MVCProject and MorphicProject so that the base system only needs
to know about projects abstractly, and the concrete project types are
bound to the UI environment they belong to (meaning that unloading MVC
will rid us of any traces of MVC in Project). That had been on my list
for a while already and I finally got a start on it. Help is welcome
here, too, in particular in the areas of moving the responsibilities
around into the proper subclasses and fixing those #isMorphic calls by
vectoring them through Project current instead (see
DisplayScreen>>restore for an example).

All in all, I think that this is reason enough to put an updated image
onto squeak.org. You can download it (with all updates as of today) as:

   http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak3.10.2-Trunk-090919.zip

It has all the changes applied and also a small window listing recent
additions to the trunk image. It's getting quite a collection!

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Facelift in trunk (and more)

Igor Stasenko
I just clicked the 'update button'
it looks a little better :)
except the button pane in browser, which draws buttons with rounded
corners even if i turn off the
rounding option in prefs.
Its also looks a bit strange, with artifacts, because instead of
rounding it draws an ugly gray curves :(
But anyways, thanks for an effort :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Facelift in trunk (and more)

Casey Ransberger
Nice! This is a huge step forward, I think:)

+100

P.S.

If any stodgy old [expletive deleted] wants the standard Squeak theme
back, I have an untested and probably broken fork of Polymorph that
can do it:)

Ron

Re: [squeak-dev] Facelift in trunk (and more)

Giuseppe

El 19/09/2009, a las 8:17, Andreas Raab escribió:

> Folks -
>
> After the positive feedback about Facelift and Botox I've taken the
> liberty to add those changes to the trunk and consequently bring
> them down upon you ;-) The idea here is that you can try them and
> form an informed opinion. The main question that you should ask
> yourself is whether you feel that the updated look is an improvement
> over the previous look. Personally, I'm answering this question with
> a resounding "Yes!"; I think we've greatly improved the out of the
> box experience.
>
> The work is by no means finished. We do need better colors for the
> windows; they don't work too well right now. We also need better
> performance, the look is *very* slow right now (but fixing that is
> easy; I just need to find a spare minute). Help on any or all of
> these issues is greatly welcome.
>
> As a consequence of the need for a custom background (the blue
> gradient doesn't work at all with the Facelift look), I've also
> started the first round of project refactoring, which makes Project
> an abstract class and splits MVCProject and MorphicProject so that
> the base system only needs to know about projects abstractly, and
> the concrete project types are bound to the UI environment they
> belong to (meaning that unloading MVC will rid us of any traces of
> MVC in Project). That had been on my list for a while already and I
> finally got a start on it. Help is welcome here, too, in particular
> in the areas of moving the responsibilities around into the proper
> subclasses and fixing those #isMorphic calls by vectoring them
> through Project current instead (see DisplayScreen>>restore for an
> example).
>
> All in all, I think that this is reason enough to put an updated
> image onto squeak.org. You can download it (with all updates as of
> today) as:
>
>  http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak3.10.2-Trunk-090919.zip
>
> It has all the changes applied and also a small window listing
> recent additions to the trunk image. It's getting quite a collection!

I like it. A nice set of icons (close, minimize, expand), and flaps,
is enough to give fresh air until a skinning system is developed.

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz
Blog: http://www.lordzealon.com
Twitter & Skype & GoogleTalk accounts: glpunzi

Re: [squeak-dev] Facelift in trunk (and more)

Hans-Martin Mosner
Andreas Raab schrieb:
Folks -

After the positive feedback about Facelift and Botox I've taken the liberty to add those changes to the trunk and consequently bring them down upon you ;-) The idea here is that you can try them and form an informed opinion. The main question that you should ask yourself is whether you feel that the updated look is an improvement over the previous look. Personally, I'm answering this question with a resounding "Yes!"; I think we've greatly improved the out of the box experience.
Well the looks did not change dramatically, but it's a nice step forward.
One thing that I'd want to change is the scrollbar looks. I think they would look much lighter if the borders of scrollbar buttons and of the slider would overlap when the elements are adjacent, and if they would merge with the scroll pane's border.

Currently, it looks like this:

I'd prefer this:

I have hacked the scrollbar code a little to achieve this result (mostly), but I don't feel comfortable enough with the changes yet to post them. It just does not feel right to add a little constant here and subtract some pixels there, not knowing what side effects this may have for other look variations. A skinnable ScrollBar would perhaps be a great thing :-)

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Re: [squeak-dev] Facelift in trunk (and more)

Hans-Martin Mosner
I hate answering to my own posts...

Hans-Martin Mosner schrieb:
I have hacked the scrollbar code a little to achieve this result (mostly), but I don't feel comfortable enough with the changes yet to post them.
Ok, uncomfortable or not, here it is.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

ScrollThinner-hmm.1.cs.gz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] Facelift in trunk (and more)

Stéphane Rollandin
> Currently, it looks like this:

nicer and lighter indeed

+1

Stef

bpi

Re: [squeak-dev] Facelift in trunk (and more)

bpi
Hi Andreas,

Am 19.09.2009 um 08:17 schrieb Andreas Raab:
> After the positive feedback about Facelift and Botox I've taken the
> liberty to add those changes to the trunk and consequently bring
> them down upon you ;-) The idea here is that you can try them and
> form an informed opinion. The main question that you should ask
> yourself is whether you feel that the updated look is an improvement
> over the previous look. Personally, I'm answering this question with
> a resounding "Yes!"; I think we've greatly improved the out of the
> box experience.
I like the new look, too.
> As a consequence of the need for a custom background (the blue
> gradient doesn't work at all with the Facelift look)...
Just curious, why is that?

Thanks for your work!

Cheers,
Bernhard

Re: [squeak-dev] Facelift in trunk (and more)

Bert Freudenberg
On 19.09.2009, at 11:23, Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:

> One thing that I'd want to change is the scrollbar looks. I think
> they would look much lighter if the borders of scrollbar buttons and
> of the slider would overlap when the elements are adjacent, and if
> they would merge with the scroll pane's border.
>
> Currently, it looks like this:
> <PluggableListMorphPlus.jpeg>
>
> I'd prefer this:
> <PluggableListMorphPlus2.jpeg>

It's a tiny thing that makes a big improvement IMHO :)

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Facelift in trunk (and more)

Göran Krampe
Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 19.09.2009, at 11:23, Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
>
>> One thing that I'd want to change is the scrollbar looks. I think they
>> would look much lighter if the borders of scrollbar buttons and of the
>> slider would overlap when the elements are adjacent, and if they would
>> merge with the scroll pane's border.
>>
>> Currently, it looks like this:
>> <PluggableListMorphPlus.jpeg>
>>
>> I'd prefer this:
>> <PluggableListMorphPlus2.jpeg>
>
> It's a tiny thing that makes a big improvement IMHO :)

Much better indeed!

Btw, under influence of some substances (cognaq) last night I tried to
show a college that we cold add "alt-tab" windows swapping behavior into
Squeak (we were looking at Pharo at the time) and while digging through
the code we found that Polymorph has added this capability - I think
cmd-<left arrow> and cmd-<right arrow>.

But I couldn't make it happen on my Ubuntu box, not sure what "cmd"
should be - I thought naively "alt"?

Anyway, can we show my collegue who likes Smalltalk but really don't
think we have a good "feel" (as in look&feel) - that we can fix this?

I tend to agree with him, it is quite odd that we don't have "alt-tab"
behavior.

regards, Göran

[squeak-dev] Re: Facelift in trunk (and more)

Andreas.Raab
Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
> I hate answering to my own posts...
>
> Hans-Martin Mosner schrieb:
>> I have hacked the scrollbar code a little to achieve this result
>> (mostly), but I don't feel comfortable enough with the changes yet to
>> post them.
> Ok, uncomfortable or not, here it is.

Yes, much better! Thanks a lot. I've just posted it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Facelift in trunk (and more)

Hans-Martin Mosner
Andreas Raab schrieb:
> Yes, much better! Thanks a lot. I've just posted it.
Thanks! I've still not invested the time to find out how to post to the
Inbox...

One quirk I've found with this hack:
When you open an inspector on anything, the thumb in the top right pane
is off by one pixel.
I have not yet found out why this is so.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin