[squeak-dev] Functional keys and squeak

Igor Stasenko
On my win desktop, a functional keys (F1 - F12) generating a key codes
'p' F2 'r' 's' 't' ... 'x' 'y' 'z' '{'
which i can see when turning events with:
HandMorph showEvents: true

all of them seem ignored by image somewhere in EventSensor, except F2
which pops up the VM Preferences menu (but this completely handled by
windows VM).

I wonder is there's any way to use/handle these keys in squeak in
platform transparent way?
Since squeak originally came from macs, image expects key codes in
'mac' format. But i have no idea how things working on macs.

In old ages not all keyboards has functional keys , some of them has 5
to 10 functional keys.
But now, i think it is standard to all keyboards to come with at least
10 functional keys.
And macs is not exception
http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/07/imac-slim-keyboard-1.jpg
:)

So, my question is, is squeak images aware of existance of functional keys?
And second, if yes, then what correct key codes VM should generate to
make image feel happy ?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

[squeak-dev] Re: Functional keys and squeak

Andreas.Raab
 > So, my question is, is squeak images aware of existance of functional
keys?

Short answer: No. And I'll leave the long answer to someone else ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On my win desktop, a functional keys (F1 - F12) generating a key codes
> 'p' F2 'r' 's' 't' ... 'x' 'y' 'z' '{'
> which i can see when turning events with:
> HandMorph showEvents: true
>
> all of them seem ignored by image somewhere in EventSensor, except F2
> which pops up the VM Preferences menu (but this completely handled by
> windows VM).
>
> I wonder is there's any way to use/handle these keys in squeak in
> platform transparent way?
> Since squeak originally came from macs, image expects key codes in
> 'mac' format. But i have no idea how things working on macs.
>
> In old ages not all keyboards has functional keys , some of them has 5
> to 10 functional keys.
> But now, i think it is standard to all keyboards to come with at least
> 10 functional keys.
> And macs is not exception
> http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/07/imac-slim-keyboard-1.jpg
> :)
>
> So, my question is, is squeak images aware of existance of functional keys?
> And second, if yes, then what correct key codes VM should generate to
> make image feel happy ?

[squeak-dev] Re: Functional keys and squeak

Klaus D. Witzel
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:48:23 +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:

>  > So, my question is, is squeak images aware of existance of functional
> keys?
>
> Short answer: No. And I'll leave the long answer to someone else ;-)

:)

Just a thought and perhaps to make life easier for VM maintainers and the
user base: the .image could tell the VM about function key mappings, so
that the .image can (re-)assign mappings for any application needs.

One example: the current F2 mapping on windoze is O.K. because it does its
job but there is always the administrator who wants to make it fit their
corporate policy.

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Functional keys and squeak

K. K. Subramaniam
On Wednesday 19 Nov 2008 5:18:23 am Andreas Raab wrote:
>  > So, my question is, is squeak images aware of existance of functional
> keys?
>
> Short answer: No. And I'll leave the long answer to someone else ;-)
"Hardware is really just software crystallized early. It is there to make
program schemes run as efficiently as possible. But far too often the
hardware has been presented as a given and it is up to software designers to
make it appear reasonable." - (1992) Alan Kay in
  http://www.smalltalk.org/smalltalk/TheEarlyHistoryOfSmalltalk_VI.html

The functional keys are a roundabout way of creating programmable buttons. The
buttons are physically embedded in hardware and logic is split between
various layers in the software stack. Squeak has a much easier way of
creating soft buttons, so its virtual machine does not emulate f-keys.

Subbu

2008/11/20 K. K. Subramaniam <[hidden email]>:

> On Wednesday 19 Nov 2008 5:18:23 am Andreas Raab wrote:
>>  > So, my question is, is squeak images aware of existance of functional
>> keys?
>>
>> Short answer: No. And I'll leave the long answer to someone else ;-)
> "Hardware is really just software crystallized early. It is there to make
> program schemes run as efficiently as possible. But far too often the
> hardware has been presented as a given and it is up to software designers to
> make it appear reasonable." - (1992) Alan Kay in
>  http://www.smalltalk.org/smalltalk/TheEarlyHistoryOfSmalltalk_VI.html
>
> The functional keys are a roundabout way of creating programmable buttons. The
> buttons are physically embedded in hardware and logic is split between
> various layers in the software stack. Squeak has a much easier way of
> creating soft buttons, so its virtual machine does not emulate f-keys.

The functional keys is sitting here, before your eyes, why we should
make use of them?
Is there something wrong to be able to map some actions like open
browser, open help, close window etc?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Functional keys and squeak

Tim Johnson

On Nov 20, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> The functional keys is sitting here, before your eyes, why we should
> make use of them?
> Is there something wrong to be able to map some actions like open
> browser, open help, close window etc?

You mean all these things which already have keyboard shortcuts?

- TimJ

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Functional keys and squeak

cedreek
> On Nov 20, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>> The functional keys is sitting here, before your eyes, why we should
>> make use of them?
>> Is there something wrong to be able to map some actions like open
>> browser, open help, close window etc?
>
> You mean all these things which already have keyboard shortcuts?
>
> - TimJ

I think yes. Just it's easy to remind mappings on Fkeys thant alt +
alt + shift +  etc...
there are so many combinations that it's hard to remember all

alt t   transcript   alt b browser
alt w  oops not a workspace, but close all unchanged windows...

I'd like the open stuff and at least the saving commands (F12 quick
save, F11 save asNewVersion, ...)

--
Cédrick

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Functional keys and squeak

cedreek
also, if you hit alt+b when a text pane is selected... it doesn't open
a browser ...
alt+b on a selected text open a browser on it wich is good...
But opening with F keys will be consistant and independant of the
context of what's selected or not...
I insist I'd love saving functionalities... F10 F11 F12 :)

--
Cédrick

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Functional keys and squeak

Ian Trudel-2
It would be also important to outline that many real life applications
find usage for F-keys. It's not just about Squeak as a development
platform; it's also about end-user applications developped in Squeak.

There is no reason why any keys on a keyboard could not be handled in
Squeak. I am even surprised that it is not the case.

Ian.