[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Webteam] Choosing the platform for website

[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Webteam] Choosing the platform for website

Igor Stasenko
Janko, i forwarded your message to squeak-dev, to be more visible to public :)

----------------
Dear all,

I think now a time came to finally choose a platform and to upgrade
our website. You know, Jun with exams is over and every Squeaker has
now a time. Holidays? What holidays? ;)

So, we have two proposals on-line:

   Aida/Web/Scribo based: http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si/
   Seaside/Pier based: http://squeak.lukas-renggli.ch/

One is also mine as you know, so I will from now on always declare in
advance if I speak as a webteam leader or a proposer. Now I'm speaking
as a team leader. I promise to be as honest as possible.

I propose that the end of July is a deadline to a final decision. In
the meantime both contenders should:

 - prepare a replica of current website with all existing features
   and the same design
 - prepare a Contact Us solution to prevent spam

Any suggestions, any comments?

Best regards
Janko
Web team leader

Just 1 question: who will decide which platform will be taken?
Because if we don't decide who is in charge to decide it, we still
have a 50/50 situation and no decision will be made.

My personal preferences:

Board? - i don't think so
Community alltogether? - maybe
Web-team?  - i think web-team having full right to decide

And second question (just born):

is it worth arguing which platform to choose, to again, lose more time
(we could be able to start migrating to new platform as far back in
April, if there would be a decision made)?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: [Webteam] Choosing the platform for website

Giuseppe
I would like other, and new fresh design, but is only a personal
opinion.

2008/7/7 Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz <[hidden email]>:
> I would like other, and new fresh design, but is only a personal opinion.

Design will be the next stage AFTER we choose new platform.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: [Webteam] Choosing the platform for website

wilkesj
Can the source or the images be made available?  Looking at the sites,
we shouldn't notice much of a difference, right?

- Wilkes

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Janko, i forwarded your message to squeak-dev, to be more visible to public :)
>
> ----------------
> Dear all,
>
> I think now a time came to finally choose a platform and to upgrade
> our website. You know, Jun with exams is over and every Squeaker has
> now a time. Holidays? What holidays? ;)
>
> So, we have two proposals on-line:
>
>   Aida/Web/Scribo based: http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si/
>   Seaside/Pier based: http://squeak.lukas-renggli.ch/
>
> One is also mine as you know, so I will from now on always declare in
> advance if I speak as a webteam leader or a proposer. Now I'm speaking
> as a team leader. I promise to be as honest as possible.
>
> I propose that the end of July is a deadline to a final decision. In
> the meantime both contenders should:
>
>  - prepare a replica of current website with all existing features
>   and the same design
>  - prepare a Contact Us solution to prevent spam
>
> Any suggestions, any comments?
>
> Best regards
> Janko
> Web team leader
>
> Just 1 question: who will decide which platform will be taken?
> Because if we don't decide who is in charge to decide it, we still
> have a 50/50 situation and no decision will be made.
>
> My personal preferences:
>
> Board? - i don't think so
> Community alltogether? - maybe
> Web-team?  - i think web-team having full right to decide
>
> And second question (just born):
>
> is it worth arguing which platform to choose, to again, lose more time
> (we could be able to start migrating to new platform as far back in
> April, if there would be a decision made)?
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: [Webteam] Choosing the platform for website

timrowledge
OK. I have to admit to a little puzzlement here. Why does it
particularly matter what the platform for the website is?

It's not (currently) a particularly complex site. Hell, it could
almost certainly be done in RapidWeaver! What matters to those of us
outside the implementation and care of the site is *the content*.
Unless someone is proposing some staggeringly interesting form of
content that can only be done on one particular platform... who cares?

I'm going to claim some requirements here; I'm sure others will add
more.

platform issues -
a) must work with all reasonably common browsers. duh. I mean, nobody
deliberately tries to exclude viewers, right?
b) must be reasonably easy to work with as a content maker - it's
going to be run by volunteers and you sholdn'tmake thier life more
difficult than it already is
c) must be sensibly secure from crackers. we don't want people
scrawling pro-java trash all over the front page
d) must be something that has a plausible lifetime so we don't have to
change horses
content issues -
e) we need to have a clean and attractive design that makes it really
easy for visitors to work out what on earth the site is about
f) we need to have a really easy way for regular visitors to see what
has changed
g) need a good collection of contemporary screenshots and demo movies
and tutorials
h) need a simple way to get to maillist archives in some nicely
readable way
i) have run out if points. go for it.

tim
Useful random insult:- On permanent leave of absence from his senses.

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: [Webteam] Choosing the platform for website

Lukas Renggli
> Can the source or the images be made available?  Looking at the sites,
>  we shouldn't notice much of a difference, right?

I took the site I originally proposed offline, because I am not going
to participate in a competition where the judge is one of the
participants. You can get a snapshot of the server directory here. Do
with it whatever you like.

     http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/dropbox/squeak.lukas-renggli.ch.zip (24 MB)

This is essentially an out of the box 3.9 image, with Pier and a
couple of extensions loaded from SqueakMap. Check-out the archive for
additional discussion and passwords.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

2008/7/7 tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:
> OK. I have to admit to a little puzzlement here. Why does it particularly
> matter what the platform for the website is?

+1 Its not matter.

> It's not (currently) a particularly complex site. Hell, it could almost
> certainly be done in RapidWeaver! What matters to those of us outside the
> implementation and care of the site is *the content*. Unless someone is
> proposing some staggeringly interesting form of content that can only be
> done on one particular platform... who cares?
>
> I'm going to claim some requirements here; I'm sure others will add more.
>
> platform issues -
> a) must work with all reasonably common browsers. duh. I mean, nobody
> deliberately tries to exclude viewers, right?

can't see this as platform issue. Its rather a content issue.
A platform issue can be 'be able to answer 10000000 web requests per second'.

> b) must be reasonably easy to work with as a content maker - it's going to
> be run by volunteers and you sholdn'tmake thier life more difficult than it
> already is
> c) must be sensibly secure from crackers. we don't want people scrawling
> pro-java trash all over the front page
> d) must be something that has a plausible lifetime so we don't have to
> change horses

> content issues -
> e) we need to have a clean and attractive design that makes it really easy
> for visitors to work out what on earth the site is about

I had a chat with my old co-worker which is a web-designer to help up
in this regard, and i got preliminary agreement that she will help.
But since we didn't decided yet about platform, i can't tell her to
start working :) And i suspect that she forgot about it already.
Life is for motion. A stagnation leads to death.

> f) we need to have a really easy way for regular visitors to see what has
> changed
- i think this can be merged with e) , or maybe what is more
appropriate , we can write a brief for a designer.

> g) need a good collection of contemporary screenshots and demo movies and
> tutorials
> h) need a simple way to get to maillist archives in some nicely readable way

i think this issue (or rather proposal) currently can't be addressed
by both platforms, and therefore it will be a web-team work.

> i) have run out if points. go for it.

Yeah, i would put before everything:
0) migrate to new platform , so we can start thinking/working out next moves.

> tim
> Useful random insult:- On permanent leave of absence from his senses.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: [Webteam] Choosing the platform for website

Janko Mivšek
Hi Wilkes,

Wilkes Joiner wrote:
> Can the source or the images be made available?  Looking at the sites,
> we shouldn't notice much of a difference, right?

As a proposer of Scribo based solution here is on-line view of the image
with demo, with the help of the experimental web code browser:

http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si/SqueakSite/SqueakSite-Core.html
http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si/SqueakSite/SqueakSite-App.html

or whole image:

http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si/browse.html

Here are all needed packages, in reverse order to load:

   SqueakSite: http://mc.bioskop.fr/SqueakSite.html
   Scribo: http://mc.bioskop.fr/Scribo.html
   Aida: http://mc.bioskop.fr/Aida.html
   Swazoo: http://mc.bioskop.fr/Swazoo.html
   Sport http://mc.bioskop.fr/Sport.html

Because Aida/Scribo is near beta, all those packages are in development
repository and will be put on SqueakSource when released in beta. This
will happen this month.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] Fwd: [Webteam] Choosing the platform for website

Janko Mivšek
Hi Tim,

tim Rowledge wrote:
> OK. I have to admit to a little puzzlement here. Why does it
> particularly matter what the platform for the website is?
>
> It's not (currently) a particularly complex site. Hell, it could almost
> certainly be done in RapidWeaver! What matters to those of us outside
> the implementation and care of the site is *the content*. Unless someone
> is proposing some staggeringly interesting form of content that can only
> be done on one particular platform... who cares?

We need to upgrade the current website's platform (SmallWiki) because it
is aging. We need to come to up-to-date platform to be able to satisfy
the needs like from your list of requirements and more in the future. We
need to finally solve that Contact Us spaming problem, which eats quite
some time every day to the webteam. And so on.

Janko
Webteam leader

> I'm going to claim some requirements here; I'm sure others will add more.
>
> platform issues -
> a) must work with all reasonably common browsers. duh. I mean, nobody
> deliberately tries to exclude viewers, right?
> b) must be reasonably easy to work with as a content maker - it's going
> to be run by volunteers and you sholdn'tmake thier life more difficult
> than it already is
> c) must be sensibly secure from crackers. we don't want people scrawling
> pro-java trash all over the front page
> d) must be something that has a plausible lifetime so we don't have to
> change horses
> content issues -
> e) we need to have a clean and attractive design that makes it really
> easy for visitors to work out what on earth the site is about
> f) we need to have a really easy way for regular visitors to see what
> has changed
> g) need a good collection of contemporary screenshots and demo movies
> and tutorials
> h) need a simple way to get to maillist archives in some nicely readable
> way
> i) have run out if points. go for it.
>
> tim
> Useful random insult:- On permanent leave of absence from his senses.

[squeak-dev] Re: Fwd: [Webteam] Choosing the platform for website

Chris Kassopulo-2
On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 11:19:43 -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> h) need a simple way to get to maillist archives in some nicely readable
> way
> i) have run out if points. go for it.
>
> tim

Greetings,

Stumbled upon this free mail archive site today. Pretty impressive.

Home page:  http://markmail.org/

Search Ruby lists:  http://ruby.markmail.org/search/?q=squeak

How to get listed:  http://markmail.org/docs/feedback.xqy

Chris