[squeak-dev] Graphical Application Where to Begin?

[squeak-dev] Graphical Application Where to Begin?

JohnReed Maffeo
Hello,

It has been awhile since I have written, but I am back trying to continue work on an application that has been on hiatus for awhile.

My current goal is to write a graphical interface to display geo-referenced data in a scrollable/zoomable window. I have written code to read data from a file and use it to create an instance of GraphicSymbol. I can display the object on a form and display the form. Now I want to start building a simple map browser application, but I don't know where to start. From what I understand, there is a lot of Morphic that will/should be deprecated. What can I do to ensure that my design conforms to the appropriate Morphic roadmap?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The vision is to create a virtual landscape from a combination of elevation data ie a matrix of elevation points and planar features ie various lines that identify roads, rivers, boundaries etc.

Thanks,

John-Reed Maffeo

Powered By Outblaze

Re: [squeak-dev] Graphical Application Where to Begin?

Cameron Sanders-2

It sounds like you want 3d. I read a month ago that there is a simple
OpenGL interface in the works -- but my life is too chaotic right now
(and for the next 2 weeks) so I can't dig through archives to give you
any leads.

Note that you can download free terrain/images from google maps. So
those "texture" maps can be painted right on your 3d surface -- though
perhaps not as simply as my words suggest.

Information on GPS mapping to absolute 3d is easy to finds online --
perhaps this is your area of expertise. Google-maps also documents the
mapping for their projections, if you choose to use them.

As to the Morphic you need to tap the experts. However, if you are
going 3d, check that out first.

Cheers,
Cam

On Aug 30, 2009, at 7:57 PM, JohnReed Maffeo wrote:

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The vision is to
> create a virtual landscape from a combination of elevation data ie a
> matrix of elevation points and planar features ie various lines that
> identify roads, rivers, boundaries etc.

Re: [squeak-dev] Graphical Application Where to Begin?

Cameron Sanders-2
by "absolute" I meant cartesian.

On Aug 31, 2009, at 7:34 AM, Cameron Sanders wrote:

> Information on GPS mapping to absolute 3d

Re: [squeak-dev] Graphical Application Where to Begin?

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi John,

JohnReed Maffeo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It has been awhile since I have written, but I am back trying to continue work on an application that has been on hiatus for awhile.

Nice to see you around again.

> My current goal is to write a graphical interface to display geo-referenced data in a scrollable/zoomable window. I have written code to read data from a file and use it to create an instance of GraphicSymbol. I can display the object on a form and display the form. Now I want to start building a simple map browser application, but I don't know where to start. From what I understand, there is a lot of Morphic that will/should be deprecated. What can I do to ensure that my design conforms to the appropriate Morphic roadmap?

There isn't single and clear Morphic roadmap. From the discussions in
squeak-dev about one or 2 months ago, it seems that most people believe
that the current Morphic+Etoys API is a central part of Squeak. So, I
don't expect any major changes there, although there is some progress in
using ToolBuilder to make tools independent of the UI framework. If the
Toolbuilder offers what you need, it looks like a good option. Then you
have the Pharo fork. If you plan to use it, you'd check with them. You
can also use Cuis, my Squeak fork. In Cuis, Morphic is greatly reduced,
making everything much easier to understand. Finally, you have my
Morphic 3 project, that would help you do a high-quality zoomeable UI.
Unfortunately, I've been devoting all my time to Cuis and paid work
lately, so I'm not working much on Morphic 3 right now.

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The vision is to create a virtual landscape from a combination of elevation data ie a matrix of elevation points and planar features ie various lines that identify roads, rivers, boundaries etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John-Reed Maffeo

Oh! May be you need 3D... The I would suggest taking a close look at
Croquet and Cobalt.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [squeak-dev] Graphical Application Where to Begin?

Casey Ransberger
I have the same concern, but I decided to throw out caution and
perform an experiment. My approach is this: I'm building my app in the
trunk image. If Morphic work in the trunk breaks my app, I'm going to
just fix it. Since there really isn't a clear roadmap, I'm going to
have to deal with breakage.

I think there are some conflicting goals around Morphic that the
community still needs to suss out.

Ron

Re: [squeak-dev] Graphical Application Where to Begin?

garduino
HI Juan:

> There isn't single and clear Morphic roadmap. From the discussions in
> squeak-dev about one or 2 months ago, it seems that most people believe that
> the current Morphic+Etoys API is a central part of Squeak. So, I don't
> expect any major changes there, although there is some progress in using
> ToolBuilder to make tools independent of the UI framework. If the
> Toolbuilder offers what you need, it looks like a good option. Then you have
> the Pharo fork. If you plan to use it, you'd check with them. You can also
> use Cuis, my Squeak fork. In Cuis, Morphic is greatly reduced, making
> everything much easier to understand. Finally, you have my Morphic 3
> project, that would help you do a high-quality zoomeable UI. Unfortunately,
> I've been devoting all my time to Cuis and paid work lately, so I'm not
> working much on Morphic 3 right now.

Is on your plans integrate Morphic 3 on Cuis at some point?

Cheers.

Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com

Re: [squeak-dev] Graphical Application Where to Begin?

Igor Stasenko
2009/8/31 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>:

> Hi John,
>
> JohnReed Maffeo wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> It has been awhile since I have written, but I am back trying to continue
>> work on an application that has been on hiatus for awhile.
>>

> Nice to see you around again.
>
>> My current goal is to write a graphical interface to display
>> geo-referenced data in a scrollable/zoomable window. I have written code to
>> read data from a file and use it to create an instance of GraphicSymbol. I
>> can display the object on a form and display the form. Now I want to start
>> building a simple map browser application, but I don't know where to start.
>> From what I understand, there is a lot of Morphic that will/should be
>> deprecated. What can I do to ensure that my design conforms to the
>> appropriate Morphic roadmap?
>>

> There isn't single and clear Morphic roadmap. From the discussions in
> squeak-dev about one or 2 months ago, it seems that most people believe that
> the current Morphic+Etoys API is a central part of Squeak. So, I don't
> expect any major changes there, although there is some progress in using
> ToolBuilder to make tools independent of the UI framework. If the
> Toolbuilder offers what you need, it looks like a good option. Then you have
> the Pharo fork. If you plan to use it, you'd check with them. You can also
> use Cuis, my Squeak fork. In Cuis, Morphic is greatly reduced, making
> everything much easier to understand. Finally, you have my Morphic 3
> project, that would help you do a high-quality zoomeable UI. Unfortunately,
> I've been devoting all my time to Cuis and paid work lately, so I'm not
> working much on Morphic 3 right now.
>
>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The vision is to create a
>> virtual landscape from a combination of elevation data ie a matrix of
>> elevation points and planar features ie various lines that identify roads,
>> rivers, boundaries etc.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John-Reed Maffeo
>
> Oh! May be you need 3D... The I would suggest taking a close look at Croquet
> and Cobalt.

or.. you may take a look at GLMorphic stuff , which you can use to
render 2D + 3D
in same window where you doing everything (squeaking).
or , even you can take a look at my latest thingy - a binding to
OpenVG API, which is only 2D
but its a vector graphics, and should handle maps rendering pretty
well, and what is important - pretty fast .

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Graphical Application Where to Begin?

Bergel, Alexandre
Speaking about graphical application, I put some effort in getting
Mondrian working for Pharo. More info on:
        http://moose.unibe.ch/tools/mondrian
        www.squeaksource.com/Mondrian.html

I haven't tried Mondrian in Squeak, but I expect it to be easily
portable. If any is interested in getting Mondrian for Squeak, let me
know.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [squeak-dev] Graphical Application Where to Begin?

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Germán,

Germán Arduino wrote:

> HI Juan:
>

>> There isn't single and clear Morphic roadmap. From the discussions in
>> squeak-dev about one or 2 months ago, it seems that most people believe that
>> the current Morphic+Etoys API is a central part of Squeak. So, I don't
>> expect any major changes there, although there is some progress in using
>> ToolBuilder to make tools independent of the UI framework. If the
>> Toolbuilder offers what you need, it looks like a good option. Then you have
>> the Pharo fork. If you plan to use it, you'd check with them. You can also
>> use Cuis, my Squeak fork. In Cuis, Morphic is greatly reduced, making
>> everything much easier to understand. Finally, you have my Morphic 3
>> project, that would help you do a high-quality zoomeable UI. Unfortunately,
>> I've been devoting all my time to Cuis and paid work lately, so I'm not
>> working much on Morphic 3 right now.
>>

> Is on your plans integrate Morphic 3 on Cuis at some point?

Yes, indeed. I'm not sure if I'll publish 2 releases of Cuis, one with
Morphic 3 and one without. I hope to have a Morphic 3 only image some
day. I guess there will be 2 different releases of Cuis then. Time will
tell.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> Cheers.

> Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
> Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
> PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com

Re: [squeak-dev] Graphical Application Where to Begin?

garduino
Thanks by the explanation Juan.

See you.