[squeak-dev] Hydra VM: large memory support?

[squeak-dev] Hydra VM: large memory support?

Stephan Eggermont-3
Igor,

Your quick development of Hydra has been inspiring.
In addition to the support of multi-core cpus,
I would be interested in breaking the 32-bit memory border.
What would be needed to make the 32-bit images run in a 64-bit
environment?

Stephan

Re: [squeak-dev] Hydra VM: large memory support?

Igor Stasenko
> Igor,
>
>  Your quick development of Hydra has been inspiring.
>  In addition to the support of multi-core cpus,
>  I would be interested in breaking the 32-bit memory border.
>  What would be needed to make the 32-bit images run in a 64-bit
>  environment?

Are you talking about porting VM to support 64 bit platform, or only
concerned about running 32bit VM on 64bit platform?

In anyway, it requires some investigation. But not by me :) ,
currently,  i don't have 64bit PC at my disposal.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Hydra VM: large memory support?

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 01:47:02PM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> > Igor,
> >
> >  Your quick development of Hydra has been inspiring.
> >  In addition to the support of multi-core cpus,
> >  I would be interested in breaking the 32-bit memory border.
> >  What would be needed to make the 32-bit images run in a 64-bit
> >  environment?
> >

> Are you talking about porting VM to support 64 bit platform, or only
> concerned about running 32bit VM on 64bit platform?
>
> In anyway, it requires some investigation. But not by me :) ,
> currently,  i don't have 64bit PC at my disposal.

Some of the issues are summarized here:
http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html

I have not looked at Hydra VM yet, but I see no reason why it should
create any new issues with respect to 64 bit machines or 64 bit images.

Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] Hydra VM: large memory support?

NorbertHartl

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 11:29 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> Igor,
>
> Your quick development of Hydra has been inspiring.
> In addition to the support of multi-core cpus,
> I would be interested in breaking the 32-bit memory border.
> What would be needed to make the 32-bit images run in a 64-bit
> environment?

I'm running a 32bit image with a 32bit vm in a 64bit environment.
Under linux this is quite easy. Having ubuntu installed you just
need to install ia32-libs package in order to run any 32bit
binary. No problems so far.

Norbert

Igor Wrote:
> Are you talking about porting VM to support 64 bit platform, or only
> concerned about running 32bit VM on 64bit platform?
>
> In anyway, it requires some investigation. But not by me :) ,
> currently,  i don't have 64bit PC at my disposal.

I would want to run say 8 1GByte 32-bits images. That's currently
EUR 134 at my local shop.

Dvae wrote:
> Some of the issues are summarized here:
> http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html
>
> I have not looked at Hydra VM yet, but I see no reason why it should
> create any new issues with respect to 64 bit machines or 64 bit images.

I would hope there would be less issues running multiple 32-bits images
concurrently on a 64 bit machine.

One of the remarks on the faq is strange:
> Why isn't there an officially-released 64-bit image?
>    Lack of interest: most people don't need a 64-bit image.

There are lots of problems where people want to make a
space/time/development-time trade-off. 70 Euros worth of space
is a silly limit.

Stephan

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 14:03 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> Igor Wrote:
> > Are you talking about porting VM to support 64 bit platform, or only
> > concerned about running 32bit VM on 64bit platform?
> >
> > In anyway, it requires some investigation. But not by me :) ,
> > currently,  i don't have 64bit PC at my disposal.
>
> I would want to run say 8 1GByte 32-bits images. That's currently
> EUR 134 at my local shop.
>
> Dvae wrote:
> > Some of the issues are summarized here:
> > http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html
> >
> > I have not looked at Hydra VM yet, but I see no reason why it should
> > create any new issues with respect to 64 bit machines or 64 bit images.
>
> I would hope there would be less issues running multiple 32-bits images
> concurrently on a 64 bit machine.
>
> One of the remarks on the faq is strange:
> > Why isn't there an officially-released 64-bit image?
> >    Lack of interest: most people don't need a 64-bit image.
>
> There are lots of problems where people want to make a
> space/time/development-time trade-off. 70 Euros worth of space
> is a silly limit.
>
> Stephan

Re: [squeak-dev] Hydra VM: large memory support?

NorbertHartl

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 14:03 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> Igor Wrote:
> > Are you talking about porting VM to support 64 bit platform, or only
> > concerned about running 32bit VM on 64bit platform?
> >
> > In anyway, it requires some investigation. But not by me :) ,
> > currently,  i don't have 64bit PC at my disposal.
>
> I would want to run say 8 1GByte 32-bits images. That's currently
> EUR 134 at my local shop.

You could do this with your 32-bit hardware I guess. I don't know
if there are many boards for 32bit architecture that feature
more physical memory than 4GB. Pentium Pro Processors and up
support PAE [1] which enables you to use more than 4 GB. If your
application only uses 1GB I think this wouldn't be a problem.
I'm not sure but a linux with high mem support should be able to
run 8 32bit vms with 32bit image each 1GB. Is this right?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

N.

Re: [squeak-dev] Hydra VM: large memory support?

Michael van der Gulik-2

Igor Wrote:
> Are you talking about porting VM to support 64 bit platform, or only
> concerned about running 32bit VM on 64bit platform?
>
> In anyway, it requires some investigation. But not by me :) ,
> currently,  i don't have 64bit PC at my disposal.

I would want to run say 8 1GByte 32-bits images. That's currently
EUR 134 at my local shop.

Are you offering Igor a new machine? Wow, that's very generous of you.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/